Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Drama school or medical school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Follow your heart and your heart will take you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    I'm currently in 2nd year studying biochemistry, I'm doing pretty well thus far.

In year 10, I decided to pursue medicine for many reasons. Science has always been an area of interest and I'm completely perplexed and fascinated by it. Had I had the metal capacity to read physics

?
    Do you mean mental capacity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack the hat)
    have you sorted out your grey hair issue yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atemukay)
    have you sorted out your grey hair issue yet?

Do you mean mental capacity?
    Did this really need to be pointed out? I just missed the 'n'. I would like a useful contribution.

ReputationRep:
    Did this really need to be pointed out? I just missed the 'n'. I would like a useful contribution.
    im sorry but stuff like missing letters really irritate me for some reason.......

im sorry but stuff like missing letters really irritate me for some reason.......
    K. Do u hav anyting to contribte?

ReputationRep:
    i feel very similar - on a gap year applying for medicine but i'd love more than anything to do acting
    if i were you I'd make sure you finish the degree you're doing at the moment so you have backup, and apply to drama school/act
    Your heart is more trustworthy, and sometimes you need to take a risk and leap of faith - you may regret it in a few years time otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    Follow your head

ReputationRep:
    What irritates me is when people use 'I'm' as 'im'. So lazy.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be successful at something, you have to have guts to go with your nose. If you're asking anonymous people on a student forum what you should do with your life, then you are a) either not really seriously toying with the idea and think 'oh it would be nice to be an actor' without wanting to put in, you know, the groundwork (i.e. being skint for a few years whilst trying to get as many jobs as you can; or b) uncommitted. Either way, make a decision and stick with it. If you decide to go down the medicine route, don't whine about how you 'never got to be an actor' when you had the chance to do so.

(Original post by 2ndClass)
    Follow your head
    A few conflicting responses here...

ReputationRep:
    I hope you don't think I'm a troll, but, maybe see a clairvoyant who could tell you what your future could entail. or just go with what makes you happy.

(Original post by T_x)
    If you want to be successful at something, you have to have guts to go with your nose. If you're asking anonymous people on a student forum what you should do with your life, then you are a) either not really seriously toying with the idea and think 'oh it would be nice to be an actor' without wanting to put in, you know, the groundwork (i.e. being skint for a few years whilst trying to get as many jobs as you can; or b) uncommitted. Either way, make a decision and stick with it. If you decide to go down the medicine route, don't whine about how you 'never got to be an actor' when you had the chance to do so.
    Says who? That's just not necessarily true at all. I've committed myself to both fields immensely (I'm certainly not naive in both fields, I know what they both entail). I'm growing up so it's time to make firm life decisions. Anonymous users obviously won't make the decision for me, I ultimately make the decision. However, asking for non-biased advice that might enlighten me is no crime at all (hence the creation of this sub-forum).

I hope you don't think I'm a troll, but, maybe see a clairvoyant who could tell you what your future could entail. or just go with what makes you happy.
    I don't think you're a troll, I appreciate the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, it's nice to have someone in the same boat!

I know I'll probably reminisce on life and regret some of my life choices :/

I'm only applying to 3 drama schools; due to competition, there's a good chance I won't get a place. What would you suggest is best if I didn't get a place?
    try and avoid regretting! If you take a step back and think - what's stopping you doing acting and becoming successful?

Are you going to finish your degree? I strongly suggest you do
    maybe do a summer course or have you done any lamda qualifications? getting up to the highest grade (8) could really help
    most importantly - don't give up! for me, i want to be successful, and i gauge that as one day i want my own wikipedia page

ReputationRep:
    apostrophail

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to the rhetorical nonsense telling you to follow your heart. Your heart has nothing to do with the decision making process; it's all done by the brain.

Acting should almost never be a plan A in today's world. Even if you are incredibly good at it, you still need luck to make it into a good living. And even then, it's never going to provide you with the job security of a medical degree unless you become the next Matt Damon (which, even a clone of Matt Damon would need luck to achieve). So my advice would be to pursue medicine as your career, and do acting on the side. If acting then hits off you'll be able to take it further, and if it doesn't then you'll have an excellent career to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    Go for Medical school. As you said yourself, acting is a very dangerous industry. And tbh, you don't even need a proper drama qualification to go into acting. Sure, it might be helpful. But if you have reasonable looks and a natural talent, you'll make it.

But you have a much higher chance of living a successful life if you pursue medicine. And it's not like "you-hate-medicine-but-you're-so-good-at-it" type of situation. You actually like Medicine. You can probably get drama experience part time while you're studying for medicine, but don't throw this opportunity away.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.