Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently studying Physics at Exeter and to be honest I'm not enjoying it - I do apologise if anyone reads from my course as you'll know who I am, but these are my thoughts at the moment. I'm thinking of moving uni and changing my course slightly to Computer Science with Physics (combined), however I'm worried is moving really the best thing to do, I know the decision is down to me, but any thoughts or tip would be really helpful.

I've found that there is a quite a large division between people who have come from a state school/college background. I clearly remember when I first said I went to college everyone through I was a school drop out, although its normal for people in my county to go to college as we don't have 6-forms (I think the only one in my city is a private school!). It also seems that alot of people I've spoken to that here was their second choice but for me it was my top and to be honest when I clicked that confirm button I didn't think I would end up here.

Next is the course, to be honest I do find it very hard and a challenge which is a good thing. Is there such a thing being too hard at uni. I choose the subject which I enjoyed very much at GCSE and A-Level, but it came to be my lowest grade in A-Level. I feel that I'm putting alot effort but my grades just don't represent my effort, where others seem like they find it easier and do very well.

The biggest issue I seem to have is people, I feel that some (not by any means all) of the staff are very rude, bad mannered and care more about their research. The other is that many (not all) of the students seem to have no manners and I'm sorry to say that the higher class of person seems to be the most problematic. For example in a club where I come from if you knock someone most say sorry, but I find that you get pushed hard and a dirty look. It extends to getting on the train and in shops. I'm a person who tries to keep good manners and be very polite, but I love to have good time with friends. I guess also my other reasons for leaving is that I haven't made lots of friends like others, alot get together to do homework. I suppose being assaulted in the high street has knocked my confidence walking about late at night.

To be honest I guess I have been very unlucky in the majority I have met and perhaps its something wrong with me why I haven't made many great friends - I'm not a confident nor outgoing person, but tried very hard to met lots of new people. Anyway I guess I have put the bad points but there are some positives.
    The uni has a great reputation, the campus is beautiful, I have couple of great friends who I will miss. I'm going to miss the train journey to Torquay twice a week to go bowling and everyone in my league and kids I coach.

I guess the question is, should uni be fun, enjoyable and a challenge? But should a challenge and reputation come at a price of happiness? I'm sorry for the long spiel, but any advice would great appreciated and welcomed (good or bad)? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulemurfan)
    Hello, I'm currently studying Physics at Exeter and to be honest I'm not enjoying it - I do apologise if anyone reads from my course as you'll know who I am, but these are my thoughts at the moment. I'm thinking of moving uni and changing my course slightly to Computer Science with Physics (combined), however I'm worried is moving really the best thing to do, I know the decision is down to me, but any thoughts or tip would be really helpful.

I've found that there is a quite a large division between people who have come from a state school/college background. I clearly remember when I first said I went to college everyone through I was a school drop out, although its normal for people in my county to go to college as we don't have 6-forms (I think the only one in my city is a private school!). It also seems that alot of people I've spoken to that here was their second choice but for me it was my top and to be honest when I clicked that confirm button I didn't think I would end up here.

Next is the course, to be honest I do find it very hard and a challenge which is a good thing. Is there such a thing being too hard at uni. I choose the subject which I enjoyed very much at GCSE and A-Level, but it came to be my lowest grade in A-Level. I feel that I'm putting alot effort but my grades just don't represent my effort, where others seem like they find it easier and do very well.

The biggest issue I seem to have is people, I feel that some (not by any means all) of the staff are very rude, bad mannered and care more about their research. The other is that many (not all) of the students seem to have no manners and I'm sorry to say that the higher class of person seems to be the most problematic. For example in a club where I come from if you knock someone most say sorry, but I find that you get pushed hard and a dirty look. It extends to getting on the train and in shops. I'm a person who tries to keep good manners and be very polite, but I love to have good time with friends. I guess also my other reasons for leaving is that I haven't made lots of friends like others, alot get together to do homework. I suppose being assaulted in the high street has knocked my confidence walking about late at night.

To be honest I guess I have been very unlucky in the majority I have met and perhaps its something wrong with me why I haven't made many great friends - I'm not a confident nor outgoing person, but tried very hard to met lots of new people. Anyway I guess I have put the bad points but there are some positives.
    The uni has a great reputation, the campus is beautiful, I have couple of great friends who I will miss. I'm going to miss the train journey to Torquay twice a week to go bowling and everyone in my league and kids I coach.

I guess the question is, should uni be fun, enjoyable and a challenge? But should a challenge and reputation come at a price of happiness? I'm sorry for the long spiel, but any advice would great appreciated and welcomed (good or bad)? Thank you.
    Ah man, I'm sorry to hear it's turned out that way.. sounds absolutely miserable. It's horrible enough when the course is difficult, but being surrounded by idiots doesn't make it any better. I'm assuming you're in your first year? Would transferring affect the amount of tuition fees you have to pay (3k or 9k)?
    In my opinion, it is crazy to pay such a huge sum of money to something that you are quite clearly not enjoying. It's really important to make the most out of your university years and take opportunities to make it as positive as possible. Really have a proper look round the university you're considering. I can assure you that you should not worry about the challenging aspect of it. If the new course is a little less intense it will be by no means easy. Good luck

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.