The Student Room Group

Advice needed!

Hi guys ! Just a quick question .. I need your advice!

So um, I applied for a job about 3 months ago. Then they called me 2 weeks ago and asked me to go for an interview! I went and all went fine. The manager said " I think you will be perfect for this job". Then she said she will need to see me how I work (something like a training day before they give me the job) as its customer service related job. Then a few days later i went and the supervisor told me (when I finished for the day) that if they call me - it means I got the job!

Now the problems start here. I went there last Wednesday, so a week from today. The thing is - I have booked train tickets to go home for the Eastern holiday. I am in Liverpool atm, but comefrom London. So the tickets are for this Friday. And I dont know what to do now! btw i booked my tickets before I applied for this job so that they can be cheaper.

I am thinking to call them now, but dont know what to tell them! I really need this job and if they give it to me - I am not gonna go home and will stay here just so I can work.

I cant just call them and ask: "Are you gonna give me this job or not because I have other things to do" :biggrin:
Any advice?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Ani45

So um, I applied for a job about 3 months ago. Then they called me 2 weeks ago and asked me to go for an interview! I went and all went fine. The manager said " I think you will be perfect for this job". Then she said she will need to see me how I work (something like a training day before they give me the job) as its customer service related job. Then a few days later i went and the supervisor told me (when I finished for the day) that if they call me - it means I got the job!

Now the problems start here. I went there last Wednesday, so a week from today. The thing is - I have booked train tickets to go home for the Eastern holiday. I am in Liverpool atm, but comefrom London. So the tickets are for this Friday. And I dont know what to do now! btw i booked my tickets before I applied for this job so that they can be cheaper.

I am thinking to call them now, but dont know what to tell them! I really need this job and if they give it to me - I am not gonna go home and will stay here just so I can work.

I cant just call them and ask: "Are you gonna give me this job or not because I have other things to do" :biggrin:
Any advice?

I'd call them and say something along the lines of....'I'm still really interested in the job and just wondering when I can expect to hear from you'. That doesn't sound like you're nagging, just reminding them of your interest :smile:
If you have a contact email address that would be even better as it gives them a chance to think out their response and reply when theyre ready :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SpottedZebra
I'd call them and say something along the lines of....'I'm still really interested in the job and just wondering when I can expect to hear from you'. That doesn't sound like you're nagging, just reminding them of your interest :smile:
If you have a contact email address that would be even better as it gives them a chance to think out their response and reply when theyre ready :smile:

That is a good idea BUT, I don't think that they would call all unsuccessful applicants just to tell them that they are unsuccessful. Last time it took them 2 months to contact me for an interview so I dont know wether they already found somebody or are just taking their time :s-smilie:
I am stuck in the middle now grhh :/

Original post by Ani45
That is a good idea BUT, I don't think that they would call all unsuccessful applicants just to tell them that they are unsuccessful. Last time it took them 2 months to contact me for an interview so I dont know wether they already found somebody or are just taking their time :s-smilie:
I am stuck in the middle now grhh :/

Hmm ok thats a good point :/ did they tell you how long it was likely to be for you to hear at the interview?
Reply 4
Hmm ok thats a good point :/ did they tell you how long it was likely to be for you to hear at the interview?

No, they didn't. The supervisor just said - If we call you, it means you got the job. But never said how long it would take them to call me :s-smilie: I just dont want to end up losing my tickets and not getting the job ..

Original post by Ani45
No, they didn't. The supervisor just said - If we call you, it means you got the job. But never said how long it would take them to call me :s-smilie: I just dont want to end up losing my tickets and not getting the job ..

I HATE it when they say that, I always think its so rude not to get back to someone after an interview! Could you not go, and keep your phone on you incase they call? It sounds like your interview went well so you still have a good chance of getting the job :smile:
Reply 6
I HATE it when they say that, I always think its so rude not to get back to someone after an interview! Could you not go, and keep your phone on you incase they call? It sounds like your interview went well so you still have a good chance of getting the job :smile:

Yeah, I know. Its so annoying :frown:

I could, but then on the interview they asked me when I can start if I get the job and I said I can start straight away. And it would take me at least a day to come back.
Yes, the interview and "training day" went well .. so thats why I have my hopes set high :s-smilie:

I think I will just call them and ask .. It cant go very bad, can it :smile: Thanks for the advice !!

Original post by Ani45
Yeah, I know. Its so annoying :frown:

I could, but then on the interview they asked me when I can start if I get the job and I said I can start straight away. And it would take me at least a day to come back.
Yes, the interview and "training day" went well .. so thats why I have my hopes set high :s-smilie:

I think I will just call them and ask .. It cant go very bad, can it :smile: Thanks for the advice !!

No problem :smile: i'd say calling them is a good idea, let me know how it goes! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Ani45

Any advice?

hmm it is a tricky situation calling them would show your very interested in the job and they are human so hopefully they can understand your situation and if they met you and like you they will want to keep you so they will definatley give you an answer straight away on other hand if you dont want to call them and would rather wait if you end up going home an by sods law they call you an say can we have u in for monday lol paying another train or coach ticket isnt the end of the world and will be worth it anyway ! good luck :smile:
Reply 9
If you've already bought the tickets then I'd go home, if they call you and say you've got the job then you'll have enough notice to come back and your pay should cover the travel back. Alternatively if you told them at the interview you had plans to go home then they'll know you can't work over Easter (may need reminding but should be fine with it).
Reply 10
Thanks guys! I ended up calling them and they said I will get a response by the end of the week and I have managed to change the date of my ticket for next week. So if I don't get the job I can still go home :smile:

Thanks!

Original post by Ani45
Thanks guys! I ended up calling them and they said I will get a response by the end of the week and I have managed to change the date of my ticket for next week. So if I don't get the job I can still go home :smile:

Thanks!

Glad it's sorted :smile: good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Glad it's sorted :smile: good luck :smile:

I GOT THE JOB!!! :biggrin: so happy :smile: Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending