Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So when I left school I did an apprenticeship in childcare, and then i left my job at the nursery to study part time for a psychology degree. I've been working part time alongside my degree but up to now have only been able to find work in a bakery. A couple of months ago I sent my CV out to nurseries because ideally I'd still like to work a couple of weeks in a nursery while I study and today one of them got back to me to invite me for an interview!

This would be a great job for me so I really want to do well at interview! Any tips?

Also just for fun, what are other people's experiences of working in childcare?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpottedZebra)
    So when I left school I did an apprenticeship in childcare, and then i left my job at the nursery to study part time for a psychology degree. I've been working part time alongside my degree but up to now have only been able to find work in a bakery. A couple of months ago I sent my CV out to nurseries because ideally I'd still like to work a couple of weeks in a nursery while I study and today one of them got back to me to invite me for an interview!

This would be a great job for me so I really want to do well at interview! Any tips?

Also just for fun, what are other people's experiences of working in childcare?
    Obviously, be really enthusiastic! They might ask you to do a trial period where they will see you interact with the children to gauge how 'good' you are with them.

I'm guessing they'll ask you the usual stuff - safeguarding might be something they ask too. And of course your past experience. Make it all sound positive, and have answers to hand about how you've 'dealt' with difficult situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Obviously, be really enthusiastic! They might ask you to do a trial period where they will see you interact with the children to gauge how 'good' you are with them.

I'm guessing they'll ask you the usual stuff - safeguarding might be something they ask too. And of course your past experience. Make it all sound positive, and have answers to hand about how you've 'dealt' with difficult situations.
    Thank you do you reckon the trial would be at interview or organised for another time?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a HNC in Early Education & Childcare this year, and have been doing placement in a nursery two days a week. Found out today that they want to give me a job and pay me for going to placement, without actually applying for a job there - delighted!

I'd say just to be enthusiastic and bubbly, if that makes sense.. everyone I've worked with (well, most) have really fun personalities that the kids love. I'm sure you'll do fine
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpottedZebra)
    Thank you do you reckon the trial would be at interview or organised for another time?
    could be either really! let us know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    could be either really! let us know how you get on
    Thank you, I will do

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.