Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Should women travel alone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    On the Jeremy Vine show on the radio at the moment they're talking about whether women should go travelling alone.

What do you think?

I am going travelling alone and personally think that if anyone didnt do things because of the possible dangers in life then no one would do anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    Why not travel alone? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Well that depends on where you travel. In other countries, it can be pretty dangerous for a woman to go out by herself

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you're going. Within the 'west' (culturally not geographically) it's fine but they're are places like the middle east that I wouldn't go without a man - but then again I probably wouldn't choose to go anywhere that I was regarded as sub-human.

ReputationRep:
    If someone tried to tell me that I shouldn't travel alone, I'd be damned cross with them. Be vigilant, yes, and understand that some cultures regrettably still see women as second class citizens, but don't let that put you off. There's danger everywhere - you can run away from it all.

ReputationRep:
    Is the danger of rape not one reason why women evolved their interpersonally oriented nature? Very few women would enjoy travelling on their own compared to men.

ReputationRep:
    In the metro this morning there was a story of a woman who was molested by the manager of the hotel she was staying in. She jumped out of the 2nd floor window to escape him and broke her leg etc. She was travelling across India alone.

Having said that, last week a Swiss woman was raped in India in front of her husband who they beat up so you can't really win...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't go travelling around certain countries on my own, and I'd think anyone silly (regardless of gender) if they did so out of principal. I plan to visit them with at least another friend, just because the dark alley is there doesn't mean you should excersize your right to walk down it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    One of the women that was talking about it on the radio was saying that as women we're "different" and more vulnerable and "why would you put yourself at risk" and "why would you cause your family that worry" and that you should take your husband with you travelling... ugghhh she really annoyed me.

I dont really think that women are different from men. Every traveller is vulnerable in some respect.

ReputationRep:
    So long as you didn't make any stupid- not saying you would!- decisions that would deliberately endanger ones self regardless of sex, then there is no reason women shouldn't travel alone.

So long as you paid heed to government travel advice then its entirely appropriate for women to choose to travel alone.

I personally would love to go travelling and wouldn't necessarily want to bring a partner just 'incase'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't go travelling around certain countries on my own, and I'd think anyone silly (regardless of gender) if they did so out of principal. I plan to visit them with at least another friend, just because the dark alley is there doesn't mean you should excersize your right to walk down it.
    Fair point. There are places that are more dangerous for women than for men, and so taking a friend may be advisable. But I think as long as you are aware of the local customs and conventions, most popular travelling destinations are okay.

Although, danger doesnt just lurk in dark alleys, it can spring upon you anywhere and in any situation. But you're not gona just stop driving just because you might get into a car crash are you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapunzel01)
    One of the women that was talking about it on the radio was saying that as women we're "different" and more vulnerable and "why would you put yourself at risk" and "why would you cause your family that worry" and that you should take your husband with you travelling... ugghhh she really annoyed me.

I dont really think that women are different from men. Every traveller is vulnerable in some respect.
    No, she's right that women are more vulnerable, but it's up to the person to decide whether to take the risk or not. People take risks every day.

My boyfriend never wants to drive a car because he knows it will increase his chances of dying in a road accident by a few units of percentage lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Is the danger of rape not one reason why women evolved their interpersonally oriented nature? Very few women would enjoy travelling on their own compared to men.
    Why? I see this is a rather ignorant statement to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapunzel01)
    Why? I see this is a rather ignorant statement to be honest.
    I am just saying I suspect that on average women would be less up for lone travelling than men due to the fact that women tend to be more sociable and sistery (I doubt you would argue with this). The argument is that one underlying reason for this tendency is that women are vulnerable to rape and thus need to accompany each other more. I think it is a fair expectation.

ReputationRep:
    it should be equally safe for men/women aslong as they are street wise and don't get caught etc

but then again i wouldn't be too comfortable if my sister went travelling on her own. :/
    i know a girl who traveled pretty much around the world on her own and it was completely fine. She's really inspiring and what she's accomplished was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not safe in certain countries. A good pal of mine is Indian and was asked by another friend of ours whether he thought it would be safe to travel India by herself. He said in no uncertain terms that it would be a bad idea (the girl is blond and and pretty hot) and his parents said the same thing because they said it was very likely she would be harassed or something more serious happening. Obviously plenty of women have travelled alone in India and other countries with no major incidence, but I think it's certainly more risky to travel alone than in a group. That being said it's probably true for men too. Safer to travel with people than alone.

ReputationRep:
    Found a really cool website that I'll be using to plan my travels. Its seat61.com. Check it out. and good luck on your travels!

EDIT: Why was I negged for this? It is a cool website? **** off retards!

ReputationRep:
    Why on Earth shouldn't they? Yes, women face certain risks which men by and large don't, and arguably in many countries women have a harder time travelling than men, but that is no reason to argue that women shouldn't travel where they want whether solo or with others. Provided proper precautions are taken there is no reason not to.

I know two (western, mid-20s) women who travelled solo in Afghanistan, another who cycled from Europe to Thailand, another who has been all over the Middle East by herself- all strong, independent women who live their lives on their own terms. The general feedback regarding the Middle East is that foreign women essentially gain 'honourary man' status but also get to mingle with local women (something that can often be impossible for foreign men to do)- therefore getting to see both the public (male) and private (female) sides of Middle Eastern life- none regretted travelling alone in that region despite the occasional hassles.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty dangerous for both men and women to travel alone in some countries. I don't see why this is a woman only concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    I am just saying I suspect that on average women would be less up for lone travelling than men due to the fact that women tend to be more sociable and sistery (I doubt you would argue with this). The argument is that one underlying reason for this tendency is that women are vulnerable to rape and thus need to accompany each other more. I think it is a fair expectation.
    Sistery, cute word!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.