Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Should women travel alone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    It's pretty dangerous for both men and women to travel alone in some countries. I don't see why this is a woman only concern.
    There are more dangers for woman, you can't deny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Not really. Because often a higher ransom might be paid for a male hostage (e.g. oil engineer in a prominent company) than for a female hostage so kidnappers are incentivized to target the former.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a girl but I would worry for the safety of my sister if she travelled 'alone'.

My cousin was walking home from the train station at night once, and a masked man approached her. Luckily she legged it. This was in West London.

Pretty scary.

Just my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    Like anything it depends.

ReputationRep:
    If a man can travel alone, a woman can travel alone. If a woman can't travel alone, then neither can a man. Simple as that!

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, no one should travel on the street without a valid reason and they should be able to prove why they need to be on the street to the officers of the National Bureau of Peace and Security. A letter from their nationally certified and licensed employer will suffice in most common situations. It's in everyone's best interest that we support these measures. This is just one step forward for the greater good. The increase in crime and the associated spread of fear of attack amongst the population must be met with the curtailing of individual freedom and civil rights for the greater good of our nation and the causes of crime specifically the development and spread of gang culture should never be questioned outside the lens that rebellious youth spit at the idea of obedience to authority which has and always will have the greater good of the nation at heart. However we should also see this as a strong reason to put more police on the streets. Some would say that these measures are totalitarian but the people who propagate such views have been for the most part led astray by the views of immoral, reprobate misogynists who enjoy raping women and kidnapping children. They are scum, they are scoundrels and they would even go so far as to engage in heresy by suggesting that men are not for the most part dangerous at all and therefore do not need the supervision of their father, husband or teacher to ensure their protection. I'll make this clear your neighbours and fellow community members are most likely dangerous and therefore you cannot trust them. Trust me I am a concerned mother and I have a university degree. Put more police on the streets. Put more cameras on walls. Keep our sisters indoors. And please, please, please think of the children.

Oh ****, we're not that far along in the controlled debate just yet.

ReputationRep:
    Research before you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Despite the fact that men are more than twice as likely to be the victims of violent crime than women...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Despite the fact that men are more than twice as likely to be the victims of violent crime than women...
    You can't just say that without giving the source -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Not really. Because often a higher ransom might be paid for a male hostage (e.g. oil engineer in a prominent company) than for a female hostage so kidnappers are incentivized to target the former.
    True, but what are the hostage rates compared to mugging/ sexual assault etc?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    In certain countries no, they shouldn't. In some countries it's illegal for women to travel alone anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where.

There are many parts of the world where a women just can't go on her own.

Men can easily overpower women, kidnap them , and other things i need not mention.

But it really depends where. Context is crucial in any discussion.

ReputationRep:
    I have an aunt that travelled around south east asia twice by herself and nowt happened to her. Mind you, I wouldnt do that myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    Whenther women 'SHOULD'?

Is that really up to them to decide?

Women getting raped? Do we:

a) lock all women indoors.
    b) actually attempt to make the streets safer.
    Ahh, the slippery slope argument.

My view: Women need to know what area they are going to visit, and it's background. I.E a town or area that is shady ect.

Some areas and cities are obviously safer than others. Time is also key i.e night and day.

Context is key to everything.

+1 for part B though. But how do we make streets safer? Where will the funds come from to get more police on the streets, especially since a lot of 'rape' and kidnapping is done discreetly in isolated incidences, and having more police everywhere is just inefficient ?

Precaution is better than cure.

ReputationRep:
    In that vein of thought, you could argue:

Why bother educating people about safe sex? Why not just lock all women in chastity belts instead? That'd solve the problem. :rolleyes:
    We have two distinctly different scenario's. One would require an extreme amount of funds and inefficient use of the police to make the streets safer.

The example you have cited comes out as a lot cheaper (educating people).

Could it not be argued that one should simply educate the public on safety i.e what are the rough areas, when to go out, when to accompany someone ?

Remember, it is a strawman to assert i said that women need to be locked indoors. In fact, while you talk about precaution, you could argue that a woman taking precaution not to go in a neighborhood or area known for rape, or going to rough area's at night, could be akin to taking 'precaution' and having 'safe' sex. could it not?

Thus, a woman needs to be educated on the risks of going to these areas or at certain times, and make her own informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapunzel01)
    On the Jeremy Vine show on the radio at the moment they're talking about whether women should go travelling alone.

What do you think?

I am going travelling alone and personally think that if anyone didnt do things because of the possible dangers in life then no one would do anything at all.
    Don't sweat it, you meet people while you are out there it really isn't an issue.

As long as you are careful there's no massive risks.
    I traveled from Honduras to Costa Rica by myself and I was fine, and Honduras is the murder capital of the world.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing the point. The problem is that instead of trying to remedy the problem, you're choosing to punish the victim.

I don't have a problem with taking precautions, I do so on a regular basis. I have a problem with bigots and misogynists saying that they don't have to try and make the streets safer for women, because women can just 'do without' luxuries like being able to travel freely.
    I don't think I am victimizing women.It is a well known fact that there are times of the day , and areas , cities, streets, and countries of the world where it would be dangerous for anyone - especially a woman- to travel in at such times and in such locations.

It is unfeasible to try to make the streets safer. A lot of these incidents happen in isolated areas, and police men simply can not be deployed everywhere. CCTV cameras can be worked around as well.

A parralel argument could be that although smoking causes cancer, instead of educating smokers on the dangerous so that they can make sensible choices, we should not make them miss out on smoking, and hence, should find a cure for the ilnesses smoking causes.

Clearly we all want safer streets. But i personally can't see any efficient way to make the streets safer. The time must come when people have to be educated on the dangerous and make educated decisions whether or not to go out despite the risk.

+ Not everyone who does not share a particular view of what should and should not happen deserve to be labeled as bigots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Don't sweat it, you meet people while you are out there it really isn't an issue.

As long as you are careful there's no massive risks.
    I traveled from Honduras to Costa Rica by myself and I was fine, and Honduras is the murder capital of the world.
    The only argument against women travelling at night on their own in rough areas is the risk.

This is not 100%, which is why you probably have had no problems thankfully.

But we know uncountable number of rapes occur everyday , and other women are not so fortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    The only argument against women travelling at night on their own in rough areas is the risk.

This is not 100%, which is why you probably have had no problems thankfully.

But we know uncountable number of rapes occur everyday , and other women are not so fortunate.
    I don't think anyone should travel on their own at night in rough areas to be honest! That is just stupid whatever your gender!

Let's be honest though you are more likely to be robbed than raped, not as bad but something you still have to be really careful of. That was my main worry in Honduras - quite a lot of armed robbery goes on on the public busses.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.