Alcohol And Tobacco Are Fine...Because The Government Says So??!!

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Of course, I'm sure you drink because it's "fun", "social" blah blah.

But you do realise how powerful drugs - yes, drugs - like alcohol are, right? And yet, when you ask these same drinkers if they would smoke marijuana, they say "NO!" - some, very strongly too!

But the fact of the matter is that, you are one of many docile populations. You think alcohol and tobacco are fine - why? Because the government said they are.

Consider the alternative reality:

You could have easily been born in a Britain, whereby marijuana was the social drug of the day and popular and alcohol and tobacco were banned - all because the government says so.

The moral of the story is - just because the government says something is acceptable and safe, doesn't mean it is. Alcohol is a powerful drug and yet, they ban soft things like marijuana.

Look across the Atlantic at the United States and you'll see some states already making marijuana legal - fast forward some years and you'll hear the Federal government saying it's legal and acceptable and lots of people will start using it. Do you see what I mean now?

A world where cocaine is legal and acceptable is the same as a world where alcohol is legal and acceptable - what make them the same is that the government has told the people that it is legal and acceptable and therefore humans are brought up believing so - when in fact, they're powerful drugs (and fairly [email protected] ones at that).

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I just hate the way people get all high, mighty and self-righteous when they say they don't do drugs and yet they drink most weekends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    I just hate the way people get all high, mighty and self-righteous when they say they don't do drugs and yet they drink most weekends.
    Precisely. It's ridiculous. Lots of students say, oh no, I don't do drugs. Yet, they're out drinking twice or more a week. But you do do drugs - duhh! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think amazingly as well, if you tried to sell alcohol (and especially tobacco) to a group who had never heard of it, people would be flabbergasted.

Consider tobacco, the effects are not that strong. Even today people say "why bother?". And its a fair point.

Alcohol as well, with the vomiting and hangover associated, I think many would favor other drugs given an equal position.

The reasoning for banning weed particularly, has always been shaky.

ReputationRep:
    Laws maintain their authority from tradition. It is illegal because they have been been illegal for some time; likewise alcohol and tobacco are legal because they have become culturally accepted.

The reasons why alcohol and tobacco are legal whilst cannabis and others are not is due to class. The ones that are legal were the ones popular amongst the lawmakers. There is no great mystery about it; in the US it was more transparent even than this, where cannabis (marijuana) was banned because it was a way to legitimise the harassment of Mexicans.

ReputationRep:
    It is arbitrary and dangerous for alcohol and tobacco to be legal. 'Soft' drugs, like marijuana, while they can lead onto harder stuff, are not as bad. Alcohol kills brain and liver cells and is basically a poison we consider socially acceptable to inundate our bodies with. In cigarettes, there is ONE primary addictive ingredient (nicotine) and THOUSANDS of substances in there that are carcinogenic and basically kick your body around like a football.

I'm not going to take any moral high ground. I don't drink at the moment; I probably will when I'm older. I have no plans ever to smoke or do drugs; some people do - their choice. But it being socially acceptable, even cool, to drink until you pass out or smoke twenty death-sticks a day with your mates - that's a ticking time bomb. And making marijuana illegal only makes it more enticing for teenagers. Then again, that could happen with alcohol and tobacco. So we can't outlaw them at this point - only educate people better and try and change cultural attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theywaitalone)
    It is arbitrary and dangerous for alcohol and tobacco to be legal. 'Soft' drugs, like marijuana, while they can lead onto harder stuff, are not as bad. Alcohol kills brain and liver cells and is basically a poison we consider socially acceptable to inundate our bodies with. In cigarettes, there is ONE primary addictive ingredient (nicotine) and THOUSANDS of substances in there that are carcinogenic and basically kick your body around like a football.

I'm not going to take any moral high ground. I don't drink at the moment; I probably will when I'm older. I have no plans ever to smoke or do drugs; some people do - their choice. But it being socially acceptable, even cool, to drink until you pass out or smoke twenty death-sticks a day with your mates - that's a ticking time bomb. And making marijuana illegal only makes it more enticing for teenagers. Then again, that could happen with alcohol and tobacco. So we can't outlaw them at this point - only educate people better and try and change cultural attitudes.
    Whilst I agree with all that you have said, I have one issue with the highlighted section.

Namely, the section in bold is inaccurate. You say that you will probably drink when you're older, but then you go on to say that you have no plans ever to do drugs - this is inaccurate. If you do drink, you are already a drug-taker. LOL, this is what people don't realise - millions already do drugs. Alcohol is a drug -people just don't readily admit it or don't even know. Just wanted to be pedantic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Whilst I agree with all that you have said, I have one issue with the highlighted section.

Namely, the section in bold is inaccurate. You say that you will probably drink when you're older, but then you go on to say that you have no plans ever to do drugs - this is inaccurate. If you do drink, you are already a drug-taker. LOL, this is what people don't realise - millions already do drugs. Alcohol is a drug -people just don't readily admit it or don't even know. Just wanted to be pedantic
    I believe this is one of the reasons why marijuana and other things have a bad name - As far as the general population are concerned, alcohol is alcohol, tobacco is tobacco and marijuana et al. are "drugs".

But the truth is, they are all drugs. The perception is that they aren't, and it misguides people. Suddely it's no longer "don't do marijuana" it's "don't do drugs", as if they're a narrow range of chemicals! Non-drug consumers probably do consume dozens of drugs each day, they're just not illegal.

While I don't doubt marijuana can have harmful effects, the number of dangerous drugs out there to buy over the counter or pull off the shelf is huge. My only concern is detection - Can THC be detected as easily as blood alcohol content? The purpose being to stop drug drivers (alcohol, marijuana, even codeine if you wanted) from driving.

The benefit of the US states starting to legalise its use will probably spark further research and allow us to see long term effects for wide populations. With that, it will probably start to be legalised elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I think I missed the part where the govenment said "Alcohol And Tobacco Are Fine". Im quite sure millions is spent trying to deter people from doing both of these each year. Im sure the figure is actaully close to £100,000,000 each year.

The fact of the matter is it also makes the government such an amount each year they are almost unable to ban it (Pusing all of the gain too black markets and vastly increasing costs trying to implement this)

You also have to consider how intergrated (alcohol & smoking) is in society.

ReputationRep:

Aha, my bad Just a slip of the, well, keyboard. We're so used to referring to alcohol and cigarettes as 'not drugs' - it makes people feel better, I guess. I'll phrase it better - the only drug that's not medicinal which I plan on taking in the future is alcohol, in small amounts. Getting 'wasted' does not interest me - in fact, not being in control of my own mind and body terrifies me.

ReputationRep:
    For me, the distinction is exactly that the Government says so. I don't smoke because I think it's disgusting and far more addictive than alcohol. But I drink occasionally because I enjoy it, I don't exceed my weekly allowance and I rarely drink more than 10 units in a "binge" because I drink so infrequently anyway!

However, I would not consider doing illegal drugs. Because they are illegal. I have tried weed once because I felt like it, but now I regret having done so, because it is illegal. If it were legalised, I'd be very open to doing it again, but also very nervous about addiction.

ReputationRep:
    The government would do well to realise that a lot of the nasty problems associated with illegal drugs are there because they are illegal.

I am of the belief we should follow in Portugal's footsteps, it has been proven to work as a method, and frankly there is no need to legalise illegal drugs - they simply need to be decriminalised. If I could grow my own pot and smoke it in my own house without having to worry about going to prison, I would. Yet it's safer for me to get it from criminal gangs who I know are probably involved in the big drug black market, the same black market that trafficks human beings around the world. It's messed up, but for my own good I go with the criminals because I'll get a lower penalty under the law. That is plain madness if you ask me. I've never committed a crime which I deem to be detrimental to the rest of society, but I have to acquiesce with violent criminals to get substances that do no harm whatsoever in moderation.

Just like alcohol and tobacco (and even food, given the rising of obesity in the western world) drugs are fine in moderation. It's when you binge, mix with other substances and put yourself in vulnerable situations that drugs get dangerous to the person taking them - with the exception of very hard drugs like crystal meth and heroin, I believe most drugs can be used recreationally if they are used responsibly. It's all about the user, not the drug.

Sadly because hard drugs are available from drug dealers who deal weed, weed IS a gateway drug - I've been offered crack and heroin by weed dealers in the past, haven't bought but it's there and it's very easy to access. Surely decriminalising, making these substances available, controlled and taxed by the state, would be more sensible than essentially leaving drug addicts to rot in deprived areas? (Try this documentary about heroin in swansea, not for the faint hearted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbpt1aDFqM )

The system isn't working now, and Portugal, California, Washington DC, Netherlands and Colorado aren't descending into apocalyptic chaos. Decriminalizing pot is common sense. Other drugs have individual arguments, but as Portugal has shown, decriminalizing all drugs results in a DROP in overall users. That's pretty awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, I'm sure you drink because it's "fun", "social" blah blah.

But you do realise how powerful drugs - yes, drugs - like alcohol are, right? And yet, when you ask these same drinkers if they would smoke marijuana, they say "NO!" - some, very strongly too!

But the fact of the matter is that, you are one of many docile populations. You think alcohol and tobacco are fine - why? Because the government said they are.

Consider the alternative reality:

You could have easily been born in a Britain, whereby marijuana was the social drug of the day and popular and alcohol and tobacco were banned - all because the government says so.

The moral of the story is - just because the government says something is acceptable and safe, doesn't mean it is. Alcohol is a powerful drug and yet, they ban soft things like marijuana.

Look across the Atlantic at the United States and you'll see some states already making marijuana legal - fast forward some years and you'll hear the Federal government saying it's legal and acceptable and lots of people will start using it. Do you see what I mean now?

A world where cocaine is legal and acceptable is the same as a world where alcohol is legal and acceptable - what make them the same is that the government has told the people that it is legal and acceptable and therefore humans are brought up believing so - when in fact, they're powerful drugs (and fairly [email protected] ones at that).

What do you think?
    While I believe that overall alcohol and tobacco are even MORE dangerous that marijuana, you seem to be confusing two issues.

Something being legal doesn't mean that it's "fine", and I can't remember ever hearing anyone in government pushing this position.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2013
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Spring onions - Yay or nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.