The Student Room Group

Access to Nursing advice...

Hi All,

I'm starting an access to nursing course in september and finding it really hard to get any solid info about syllabus and grading, even from the college.
I know the subject topics: human biology
health studies
sociology
study skills
information technology
GCSE English equivalent
GCSE Maths equivalent
and have been given a very basic reading list, but thats about it...! If anyone has any more info or advice i would love to hear it :smile:

Also, how are they graded? Its a pass, merit distinction, but what percentage corresponds to which grade (eg 80% pass = distinction??).

And finally, I am studying 3 days a week, have 2 kids at school and will try to work part time (as a HCA) around the course. Has anyone else been in a similar position and how did you find it?

Any advice gratefully recieved :smile:
Reply 1
I went through an access to HE science last year, and now I am starting an adult nursing programme in Sept. I too have two children. I had been away from education for a number of years. At first it was hard to get back into things and find a good balance for school and family.
We all got our syllabus on our first week outlining the assignments and due dates. We were graded on pass/merit/destination. There were all the above that you mentioned but the gcse classes are separate as not everyone needs to do them. I had my main course load of human biology, chemistry, psychology and then I did gcse maths 2x a week and an adult literacy class 1x a week.
At my college they tallied all the grades you get for each term and whatever you got the most of was your mark for the term.
I hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest