Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Should politicians be richer than the people they represent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, as I understand it, politicians e.g. MPs; PMs; Presidents; etc, represent the people that voted for them.

However, it's not hard to see that (some of) these people, who represent a particular (small or large) part of the society, are richer than the people they represent. And the term "rich" is not simply being able to buy a large condo but a house that no common people could buy.

I know that some of them may be good investors or may be just frugal, but should they live lavishly? Is it reasonable for them to show that they are well off to the common people? Considering their salaries are basically coming from the taxes the people pay, should the politicians know better not to live like a Tsar?

I asked these since these sort of things may be unfavourable to the (common) people they represent

What do you think? Would you feel awkward that some of these politicians are living lavishly, whilst issues or development in society are stagnating?

Any opinions are welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. What do politicians do? They make decisions, shake hands with people, travel a bit, and shift bits of paper around. Some politicians do only one or two of these and they get a larger wage plus benefits and perks than someone grafting on a building site 40 hours per week in all weathers. So my answer would be yes and no.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone would suggest their wage should be lavish, but the arguments I'm aware of are:
    1. They would be ineffective at their job if they are worrying about money issues
    2. They provide a benefit to society and so in some sense deserve an appropriate level of remuneration for it
    3. There must exist some incentive for talented individuals to wish to become politicians; if they see it to be underpaid they may be lured away by industry

I do not necessarily agree with all of them.

ReputationRep:
    Whether they are an old Etonian, or the son of a postman, I don't care how rich they are, as long as they do their job properly and earn their money honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Whether they are an old Etonian, or the son of a postman, I don't care how rich they are, as long as they do their job properly and earn their money honestly.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Politicians should be for the people. they don't have to be "of" the people.
    In regards to pay/benefits. benefits should be basic at best w/ them paying their own way. their not special. pay does not need to be ravishing either. only way to controll it is to voice your opinion and try to upset it by petition and votes.

ReputationRep:
    People won't vote for anything less than what they see themselves as. If the Government decided that they couldn't afford the guard outside number 10, if they stopped hosting lavish banquets for foreign heads of state, if they couldn't afford to pay MP's (much less than what they would get if they went private, by the way) the people would know something was up, and many of them would try to get away from what they see as a collapsing Government. The money that is spent on maintaining appearances is recouped through taxes not lost by people scarpering abroad.

MP's are partially paid so much because this is a free market. Gordon Brown got £140K a year as PM. He could have got £1M a year at least on the open market. What we pay MP's is actually a step down. If we went much lower, we would lose the best and the brightest.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Youll probably find that many politicians quit higher paid jobs in order to become one.

ReputationRep:
    Politicians earn way too much money for the load of **** they do. Just look at all the corruption within politics. You can't trust any of them, all they do is make decisions that benefit themselves more than the whole population, and they go on expensive journeys funded by the taxpayer. It's all ****ed up.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.