Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering practicing as a lawyer in Hong Kong and either dual qualifying in England (by transferring to the english and welsh bar later) or staying over there. Either way i need to study the postgraduate certificate in laws (PCLL) and heres my question, there are two types of fees:
    I) government/UGC funded
    II) self-financed

So far as I can tell either can be taken up by local or international students, now does anyone know what government/UGC funded means? Does it means the government pays for your studies or there's a discount of some kind or? It's confusing as while some unis charge less to self-financed students others charge more and theres no information, anywhere, on what the two terms mean.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at HKU before and the long and short of what I interpreted from it is that international students (i.e., people outside of Australasia) are self-funded.

Do you already have an LL.B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doc.Daneeka)
    I've looked at HKU before and the long and shortening of what I interpreted from it is that international students (i.e., people outside of Australasia) are self-funded.

Do you already have an LL.B?

In a years time as I'm in my third of four years.

Thanks for your help, I reckon I'll just go to cityU much cheaper and the programs not bad.

ReputationRep:
    I mean at city u UGC funded for non local students is only 100k compared to 134k for self funded, so it's odd but a lot cheaper plus there are more scholarships by far.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

in normal case if you are international stduent you cant not apply Hong Kong goverment funds. basicly student in Hong Kong also hard to get funds from the goverment either.

I will strongly recommend you to choose Hong Kong university, this is the top one in Hong Kong, I understand City Uni is cheaper but I wont recommended.
    City Uni is easy to get in and the ranking is not high at all.

I am from Hong Kong and I am study in the UK at the moment, my girl friend is studying LLB in the UK as well. If you got a LLB, is easy and cheaper to do a convertion in Hong Kong university.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.