The Student Room Group

why are some people in relationships unfaithful?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Mr_Vain
That is the problem. That is the problem. You need two people equally in love with each other. Getting sex is simple, I have been with a lot of people in friends with benefits and one night stand arrangements. But, to have someone to be in love with you at the same time you're in love with them and then keep that? It is very difficult.

I disagree. Look around you. People do find loving relationships. It's what humans do.

Original post by Mr_Vain
I vastly prefer the bachelor's lifestyle of just having a lot of casual relationships, but, life happens. I am human after all and recently i fell in love with a girl i am seeing; and despite the fact i am usually so cold i could not help it at all. I really would prefer to not be in love.

I have no doubt that she is not as in love as i am, but i accept that i do not want to lose her either so i just keep seeing her for sex and love even though my instinct tells me that she is not in love with me. In my view, the love is not worth it, because the pain of losing someone is way worse than the emotional high you get from those amazing moments together. And the problem is, those moments you tend to remember for the rest of your life regardless of how badly things may turn out.

The terrible thing I have found with love and relationships is that you have to trust the partner to be in love with you also. Otherwise, it is a lie (people can and do pretend to love), and it tends to be a disaster waiting to happen. Because, if they fall in love with someone else (or they go with someone else with a ons or a fling) then it really usually means that your relationship is finito.

The problem is that we are human, can't beat ourselves up about it, it is just something we are blessed and cursed with. Pain and ecstasy are really weirdly linked.

This might be your problem. How about you start relationships with a completely different attitude. I'm sorry, but plenty of women would be turned off by someone who wants something casual, and if they sniff an inkling of this, they'll back off.

If, for example, you have sex with a girl you pick up in a club, and then continue to have these casual sexual encounters, but then you turn around and go 'actually, I think I'm falling in love with you', you only have yourself to blame if your partner doesn't actually take you seriously. You're probably only finding people who don't want something serious, and who don't want commitment - something held together by love.

And besides, you can't exactly expect people to fall in love with each other at the same time... It might not even be a definite and sudden feeling, it can be gradual, and occur when people don't notice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending