The Student Room Group

As physics moments question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please could you help me answer this question? :smile:
have you sketched the diagram? Once you have done this, take moments about the centre. What particular troubles are you having? How far have you got?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okey so I drew the diagram but I made the assumption that the ruler would pivot at around 50cm therefore having two weights on one side and one on the other.
If I then work try to work out W using the principle of moments I don't get the correct answer.
Reply 3
Original post by tamsinisinabarn
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okey so I drew the diagram but I made the assumption that the ruler would pivot at around 50cm therefore having two weights on one side and one on the other.
If I then work try to work out W using the principle of moments I don't get the correct answer.

What answer do you seem to be getting?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I get an answer of 2.3...
Posted from TSR Mobile

I realised that I was taking the distances as the values from the question instead of taking them as the distance from the pivot. Even making this change I get an answer of 6.16
uploadfromtaptalk1363814713554.jpg

Here is how I have answered the question and got my answer if it helps to work out what i've done wrong :smile:
Oh i'm sorry, I have been reading the answers wrong! My workings are correct and so is the answer! Feel a little silly but thankyou for your help. I'll leave this here, it may be useful to someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by tamsinisinabarn
uploadfromtaptalk1363814713554.jpg

Here is how I have answered the question and got my answer if it helps to work out what i've done wrong :smile:

Can't see anything wrong with that - what is the answer in the book?

Edit: Seen above post - you were just having one of those moments.

Quick Reply

Latest