Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I have a problem and I need some advice Watch

I apologise for the length of this post in advance.

I'm currently in Year 13, having completed my January exams, I'm now working towards my Summer exams.
    Year 12 didn't go well for me, as I didn't recieve the best AS results, which has resulted in me taking an extra year and apply to univeristy a year later than I should have (I'm not retaking the year, I just didn't think I got the grades to apply to the universities I wanted to, for the course I wanted to).
    Needless to say, I've learned my lesson and I improved quite a bit when my Janaury results came out.

Now, here is the problem... I'm having an operation to remove a tumor within a month, and the recovery period for this is 5-6 weeks.
    This is *probably* going to conflict with my earlier exams.

Originally, I wanted to apply to university (COWI) to study Maths, and this ambition has not changed, even when I got my poor AS results. But the thing is, I'm already doing an extra year, but now what can I do with my next set of exams as I may miss some of them?

The exams I have in the Summer are for Physics and Further Maths, as I have already got my final grade in Maths A-Level in January, and I was also working on STEP to take papers I, II and III in late June.

The other thing is, I self-teach both Physics and Further Maths (as well as working on STEP on my own, with some help from TSR as well), so I will be working on my exams in the recovery period anyway.

I have 10 exams in the Summer.

What do you guys advise me to do?
    Will the universities still consider me even though I've already taken an extra year, and I haven't got 3 full A-Levels (due to me missing my exams for recovery)?
    Will I have to take ANOTHER year out?
    Should I still apply to COWI in October with this situation?

Bump

ReputationRep:
    yup

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you clearly have extenuating circumstances and as long as these are properly documented then the application is probably worth it. Ultimately this does depend on your grades though - if you're well below the standard offer then you don't have much of a chance. You say you're taking STEP though, which is a good sign.

You know obviously you can't apply to Cambridge and Oxford - have you though about which yet? Cambridge has this http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/ecf.html which might make it easier to properly discuss your health problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I apologise for the length of this post in advance.

I'm currently in Year 13, having completed my January exams, I'm now working towards my Summer exams.
    Year 12 didn't go well for me, as I didn't recieve the best AS results, which has resulted in me taking an extra year and apply to univeristy a year later than I should have (I'm not retaking the year, I just didn't think I got the grades to apply to the universities I wanted to, for the course I wanted to).
    Needless to say, I've learned my lesson and I improved quite a bit when my Janaury results came out.

Now, here is the problem... I'm having an operation to remove a tumor within a month, and the recovery period for this is 5-6 weeks.
    This is *probably* going to conflict with my earlier exams.

Originally, I wanted to apply to university (COWI) to study Maths, and this ambition has not changed, even when I got my poor AS results. But the thing is, I'm already doing an extra year, but now what can I do with my next set of exams as I may miss some of them?

The exams I have in the Summer are for Physics and Further Maths, as I have already got my final grade in Maths A-Level in January, and I was also working on STEP to take papers I, II and III in late June.

The other thing is, I self-teach both Physics and Further Maths (as well as working on STEP on my own, with some help from TSR as well), so I will be working on my exams in the recovery period anyway.

I have 10 exams in the Summer.

What do you guys advise me to do?
    Will the universities still consider me even though I've already taken an extra year, and I haven't got 3 full A-Levels (due to me missing my exams for recovery)?
    Will I have to take ANOTHER year out?
    Should I still apply to COWI in October with this situation?

When you say a "tumour" are you talking cancer or just a benign growth. If it is the latter - can you not just delay until after exams and have it during the summer. Also the fact that you say it is within a month - this suggests that it is not urgent - even if it is cancer.

Recuperation following an op involves a lot of sitting around - ideal for revision.

I don't know about Oxbridge, but my daughter is at UCL doing maths - and many of her fellow students are in their 20s. Could you not delay by another year and fully recover. We need maths graduates and I am certain that they would take your circumstances into consideration. Also call the individual departments and ask - then you will know.

(Original post by milienhaus)
    Yes, you clearly have extenuating circumstances and as long as these are properly documented then the application is probably worth it. Ultimately this does depend on your grades though - if you're well below the standard offer then you don't have much of a chance. You say you're taking STEP though, which is a good sign.

You know obviously you can't apply to Cambridge and Oxford - have you though about which yet? Cambridge has this http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/ecf.html which might make it easier to properly discuss your health problems.
    I'll have 2 complete A-Levels (maths and further), and grades in the 3 STEP papers, but I won't have the full A-Level in physics due to missing the exam.
    Is there not a way for me to do the exam at home? Or is that a silly question?

(Original post by milienhaus)

And it would be Cambridge, as I loved it at the open day last year.

(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    When you say a "tumour" are you talking cancer or just a benign growth. If it is the latter - can you not just delay until after exams and have it during the summer. Also the fact that you say it is within a month - this suggests that it is not urgent - even if it is cancer.

Recuperation following an op involves a lot of sitting around - ideal for revision.

I don't know about Oxbridge, but my daughter is at UCL doing maths - and many of her fellow students are in their 20s. Could you not delay by another year and fully recover. We need maths graduates and I am certain that they would take your circumstances into consideration. Also call the individual departments and ask - then you will know.
    Benign Tumour is what it is. I asked about delaying the operation due to exams, but they said that it was 'rapidly growing' and 'of the aggressive kind', so I needed to have it ASAP.

Yes I'll definitely be revising when recuperating, put the recuperation period will *probably* overlap at least 1 of my exams. (Is it incorrect for me to think about going out for at most 2 hours to do my exam, going against the doctors orders?)

I'd rather not do another extra year because I'm already an extra year. But I guess if I have to to delay it, then I'll have no choice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll have 2 complete A-Levels (maths and further), and grades in the 3 STEP papers, but I won't have the full A-Level in physics due to missing the exam.
    Is there not a way for me to do the exam at home? Or is that a silly question?
    As far as I know you have to be in a registered exam centre to take public exams, but saying that I have heard of people taking them in hospital. You could try discussing the possibility with your exams officer if you have one? They'd have to get you an invigilator but it might be worth a shot.

As you're applying next year, why not take your physics exams then? Your offer would probably be conditional on them, but you would only have to take three years in total, not four as you seem to be suggesting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.