Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Teaching English in Chelyabinsk, Russia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've got an interview to teach English at a school in Chelyabinsk, Russia...the job ad made it sound like a nice place but after doing some research, it seems to be 'the most polluted city in the world' and now I'm kind of worried

Does anyone know anything about Chelyabinsk and how safe it is?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    Hi,

I've got an interview to teach English at a school in Chelyabinsk, Russia...the job ad made it sound like a nice place but after doing some research, it seems to be 'the most polluted city in the world' and now I'm kind of worried

Thanks
    I've not been, but I have a friend from there. She says it's a nice city, very green, not known as a tourist destination, but friendly. A fairly typical mid-sized Russian city- the polluted cities are the satellite industrial towns in the area, not Chelyabinsk itself. Meteorites aside, it's as safe as any other Russian city of similar size. You'll probably need to exercise a bit more caution than you do in Korea, but Russia isn't a dangerous place outside of a few regions. Have you been to Russia or a neighbouring country before, and what is your Russian ability? At the very least, I'd recommend learning Cyrillic before you go. Russia does not cater for English speakers in the same way Korea does. On the other hand, it's a great place to really experience a new culture, in a way which I've heard is much harder to achieve in Korea, where you are always perceived to some extent as an outsider, 'waygook'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by standreams)
    I've not been, but I have a friend from there. She says it's a nice city, very green, not known as a tourist destination, but friendly. A fairly typical mid-sized Russian city- the polluted cities are the satellite industrial towns in the area, not Chelyabinsk itself. Meteorites aside, it's as safe as any other Russian city of similar size. You'll probably need to exercise a bit more caution than you do in Korea, but Russia isn't a dangerous place outside of a few regions. Have you been to Russia or a neighbouring country before, and what is your Russian ability? At the very least, I'd recommend learning Cyrillic before you go. Russia does not cater for English speakers in the same way Korea does. On the other hand, it's a great place to really experience a new culture, in a way which I've heard is much harder to achieve in Korea, where you are always perceived to some extent as an outsider, 'waygook'
    Hi and thanks for your reply

When I say 'polluted', I'm not worried about meteors or even factories but I've heard it used to be where they made all the nuclear weapons in the Soviet Union and there have been three major nuclear disasters in the past fifty years. One website I read even said 50% of people of child bearing age there are sterile!! Or is this just scaremongering? :/

I've lived in Spain and Germany but I've never been to Russia before and I don't speak Russian although I've started and I already know quite a bit of the Cyrillic alphabet. The language is so beautiful and the culture appeals to me more than Korean culture and it's true what you say about foreigners here although that's our fault for not learning Korean I suppose

ReputationRep:

When I say 'polluted', I'm not worried about meteors or even factories but I've heard it used to be where they made all the nuclear weapons in the Soviet Union and there have been three major nuclear disasters in the past fifty years. One website I read even said 50% of people of child bearing age there are sterile!! Or is this just scaremongering? :/

I've lived in Spain and Germany but I've never been to Russia before and I don't speak Russian although I've started and I already know quite a bit of the Cyrillic alphabet. The language is so beautiful and the culture appeals to me more than Korean culture and it's true what you say about foreigners here although that's our fault for not learning Korean I suppose

Whoa, you better steer clear of Chelyabinsk, dude. It's a remote town with a horrible ecological situation and a population that is not exactly progressive. It is also a major center of drug trade and generally an ugly place to live in. I would not recommend anything except Moscow or St. Petersburg.

ReputationRep:

I have never been to Chelyabinsk, I'm from Sergiev Posad.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergiyev_Posad
    The heart of the Golden Ring of Russia, which is in 1 hour 20 minutes by regular train from Moscow.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone again for the replies. I turned down the interview and did another one..at which I was successful! I'm moving to Moscow in October

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone again for the replies. I turned down the interview and did another one..at which I was successful! I'm moving to Moscow in October
    Well, I live near Moscow, so come in guests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    Well, I live near Moscow, so come in guests.
    Thanks! Seeing as though you live there, it's actually a town called Zheleznodorozhny, which is apparently about 30 mins from Moscow. I said Moscow as I thought no one would have heard of the town before! Do you know it?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Seeing as though you live there, it's actually a town called Zheleznodorozhny, which is apparently about 30 mins from Moscow. I said Moscow as I thought no one would have heard of the town before! Do you know it?
    I'm from Sergiev Posad and I know nothing about Zheleznodorozhny, except it's place on the map. My town is famous, and Zheleznodorozhny is just a town near Moscow.

ReputationRep:
    OMG.... according to Russian wiki - Zheleznodorozhny previous name was Obiralovka (robbery) until 1939.

ReputationRep:
    Just in the off-chance that you see this within the next couple of hours... I've got my first ever EFL job interview coming up this evening. What kind of questions have you been asked at your ones? (I'm getting nervous!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Just in the off-chance that you see this within the next couple of hours... I've got my first ever EFL job interview coming up this evening. What kind of questions have you been asked at your ones? (I'm getting nervous!)
    Hi...I'm not sure if this is in time for your interview but it very much depends on what kind of job it is...teaching young learners or business English?

If you don't have any kind of experience, they will mostly ask you about the CELTA and how you would carry out a certain type of lesson, what is your preferred age group, what are your strengths and weaknesses etc. For my interview in Moscow, they asked what the stages of a reading lesson were so pre-reading, while-reading, scanning and gist reading then post reading tasks... and how I would present an item of grammar to adult learners that wanted to know the theory behind it so I said, ask questions in which the form would naturally arise, then explain it on the board, present it to them and have them just highlight all the past-tense forms for example so you know they can recognise it before having them reproduce it themselves.

Sorry but it's kind of difficult to give more specific answers without knowing what kind of job it is.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. How are you? Are you in Russia, now? How about Chelyabinsk? Can you give me some advice about Chelybinsk.. I'm going to come to Chelybinsk in October..

Hi,

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lght571)
    Hi.. How are you? Are you in Russia, now? How about Chelyabinsk? Can you give me some advice about Chelybinsk.. I'm going to come to Chelybinsk in October..
    Hello...I'm good thank you Unfortunately, I didn't choose Chelyabinsk in the end so I cannot tell you much about it. I moved to Moscow yesterday!

ReputationRep:
    Hello...I'm good thank you Unfortunately, I didn't choose Chelyabinsk in the end so I cannot tell you much about it. I moved to Moscow yesterday!
    Don't forget, I live at Sergiev Posad.

ReputationRep:
    hi.. How are you? Are you in russia, now? How about chelyabinsk? Can you give me some advice about chelybinsk.. I'm going to come to chelybinsk in october..
    хитрая девушка отправилась в столицу. зато ты научишься готовить пельмени. :d

ReputationRep:

Hi! I'm a newcomer to this thread, but I'm actually an American on the Fulbright program in Chelyabinsk right now! I teach English at the Pedagogical University here. Let me know if you have any specific questions! I've only been here for a few weeks now, but the city seems pretty nice. What will you be doing in Chelyabinsk?

ReputationRep:
    I talked some person who lives in chelyabinsk. According to them chelyabinsk a very cold place but Chelyabinsk's peopla very kind and friendly.. I don't know I'm going to there 10 days later for work and also get course for Englisih. I have got some interview in local courses..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    хитрая девушка отправилась в столицу. зато ты научишься готовить пельмени. :d
    I can't understand Russian I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcornish)
    Hi! I'm a newcomer to this thread, but I'm actually an American on the Fulbright program in Chelyabinsk right now! I teach English at the Pedagogical University here. Let me know if you have any specific questions! I've only been here for a few weeks now, but the city seems pretty nice. What will you be doing in Chelyabinsk?
    I'm a technical teacher and enginer; I'm going to work in Chelyabinsk for 1 or 2 years then I will go to Spain..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.