Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as Surrey's website has now published the prices for 2013/14 student rooms, I thought I would create a new thread to see what people's preferances are going to be - e.g. which Band room, and on or off campus.

I have seen in other threads that people are not happy with the increase in costs of some of the bands - so has this affected anyone's choice of Band room??

The new costs are :-

Band A = £65 (p/w)
    Band B = £82.50 (p/w)
    Band C = £98 (p/w)
    Band D = £121.50 (p/w)
    Band E = £148 (p/w)
    Band F = £182 (p/w)

ReputationRep:
    Personally I went for, and still would go for a band C room. I just don't feel that the extra £20+ a week is worth it to save the 5 second walk to the toilet.

Although for people dead set against sharing a bathroom with anybody, maybe the extra money is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1909)
    Personally I went for, and still would go for a band C room. I just don't feel that the extra £20+ a week is worth it to save the 5 second walk to the toilet.

Although for people dead set against sharing a bathroom with anybody, maybe the extra money is worth it.
    How much would you say you spend per week at Surrey uni on food, going out ect?? I'm currently looking at Band D and C accommodation, but I'm trying to figure out if what I can afford with the new prices.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny as when I was a first year. I think Band A was £55/£60, band B was £70. Which are both only ~£10 less than they are now. However Band C and D were £80 and £100 respectively, having gone up ~£20 now. Band E was only £120, it's now shot up £28. 20-23% increase in just 5 years. Student loans definitely haven't gone up 20%. I don't envy you guys.

I agree with Dan though. Unless you're dead set on having your own shower room and toilet, there's no point heading for Band D. Battersea and Surrey court have the worst toilet to people ratio for Band C, at 3 toilets and 3 showers for 14 people. But for the whole of my first year in Surrey court I didn't have to queue once for either and they were both outside my door.

Also the cleaners will clean the toilets for you in Band C as they're communal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    Hi, as Surrey's website has now published the prices for 2013/14 student rooms, I thought I would create a new thread to see what people's preferances are going to be - e.g. which Band room, and on or off campus.

I have seen in other threads that people are not happy with the increase in costs of some of the bands - so has this affected anyone's choice of Band room??

The new costs are :-

Band A = £65 (p/w)
    Band B = £82.50 (p/w)
    Band C = £98 (p/w)
    Band D = £121.50 (p/w)
    Band E = £148 (p/w)
    Band F = £182 (p/w)
    From the times that I have visited Surrey, for Open Days etc, I decided that Band D was most suitable for me. And even with the price, I'm still sticking with it. Having my own bathroom is very important to me, which is why I'm going for Band D. With Band E you get the bathroom, and the main bedroom is of a bigger size. But I think that Band D is still a comfortable size to live in, which is why I'll be going for that.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me out on size please... Would a band C or D room be big enough to fit a full sized keyboard (piano) in? I'm bringing it for the course I am doing but I am just wondering if it could fit... I could take it off the stand if necessary.
    Is there any way I can go to Surrey to check out the rooms before I apply for one? I just want to know I have picked the right band... thanks!
    PS. Sorry for the big ass picture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisMcBean)
    Can anyone help me out on size please... Would a band C or D room be big enough to fit a full sized keyboard (piano) in? I'm bringing it for the course I am doing but I am just wondering if it could fit... I could take it off the stand if necessary.
    Is there any way I can go to Surrey to check out the rooms before I apply for one? I just want to know I have picked the right band... thanks!
    PS. Sorry for the big ass picture
    Hi, unfortunately I can't say for definite whether your keyboard would fit or not, as I have only seen the rooms britefly on open days.

However, I have found some links on Surrey's website that may be of use to you.
    First of all there is the room Information page which states the size of each band room. :- http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodatio...info/index.htm

Then there are the vitual tours of the accommodation, which will give you an idea of how much room you will have :- http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/virtualtour/accommodation.html

There are also guided campus tours every wednesday, during which you would be able to see the accommodation :- http://www.surrey.ac.uk/study/campustours/

And if none of them are much use, you could always try emailing/ringing the accommodation services at surrey to ask :- http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/contact/index.htm

Hope some of this will help you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the help! I have already had a look at the accommodation link on the Surrey site but the problem I have is that you click on a band and it says "example rooms" and shows 3 pictures and a birds eye floor plan of the room, each picture seems to be slightly different regardless if the band is the same... I guess it just matters on what you get when you apply... Maybe I could request on the application form? I will contact Surrey soon to see thanks for the help! I would love to go down to Surrey to check it out but I'm realising its kind of expensive to travel up and down the country to check out the size of a room :/

thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisMcBean)
    Thank you for the help! I have already had a look at the accommodation link on the Surrey site but the problem I have is that you click on a band and it says "example rooms" and shows 3 pictures and a birds eye floor plan of the room, each picture seems to be slightly different regardless if the band is the same... I guess it just matters on what you get when you apply... Maybe I could request on the application form? I will contact Surrey soon to see thanks for the help! I would love to go down to Surrey to check it out but I'm realising its kind of expensive to travel up and down the country to check out the size of a room :/

thanks for the help!
    If you check out rail tickets then you can get quite cheap tickets if you book in advance and you're travelling a far distance. It only cost me £10 each way from London to Leeds for example. Where if I brought a ticket on the day it would have cost £100+.

If you come down for the open days It's definitely worth it. Not just to see the accommodation but other aspects of the uni and your department too. Or just check out Guildford town centre.

ReputationRep:
    That IS expensive.. I'll probably go for either Band B or C. They don't seem to have much of a difference really.

ReputationRep:
    i haven't yet firmed on UCAS yet, but i am going to within the next couple of days. When would i have to choose accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    I think they're opening accommodation applications in may

ReputationRep:
    What would people say is the advantage of being in Manor park Band D over on campus Band C? And vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    What would people say is the advantage of being in Manor park Band D over on campus Band C? And vice versa?
    The only real benefit of the band D in MP is the en-suite, but that's no different to getting a band D on campus really (just that you've got a better chance of getting one at MP than you do on campus).

Obviously if you're at MP you're likely to have a more quiet area, as you're further away from the main campus, so there's less going on. That's either a good or bad thing depending on what you want from the accommodation. Whereas the band C on campus will sacrifice the en-suite, but you'll be so much closer to campus. That's not something to be overlooked! The option to pop back to your room in a small gap for a rest/nap/snack/etc is very nice, without having to have the 15 minute walk each way that MP rooms have.

Hopefully that helps a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    One point to add on to what Dan said is that with manor mark all the flats as far as I know are just 6 people to a flat. Where for band C on campus you can go from as few to 6 in a flat to as many as 14 to a flat. It seems this year you're unable to pick Which band C room you want and they do vary unlike manor park which are all the same.

Even though I'm speaking generally here. Generally major park will attract more international students because they can afford en-suite rooms, And it will also generally attract more final years and postgraduates as first years are usually given preference for campus and some postgraduates and final years will want to be in a quieter place. You won't have to worry about living with them as you'll just be housed with other first years. But as international students and postgraduates are generally quieter you will find manor park is a quieter less social place than campus, As well as being less convenient distance wise.

So if you would prefer somewhere quiet than manor park is a no brainer. If you'd want to get the most of the social side of uni however I would always recommend on campus.

I am speaking very generally though. You could very well end up in major park with 5 other people who want to do nothing but party or you could end up in Surrey court with 13 socially retarded people.

ReputationRep:
    The only real benefit of the band D in MP is the en-suite, but that's no different to getting a band D on campus really (just that you've got a better chance of getting one at MP than you do on campus).

Obviously if you're at MP you're likely to have a more quiet area, as you're further away from the main campus, so there's less going on. That's either a good or bad thing depending on what you want from the accommodation. Whereas the band C on campus will sacrifice the en-suite, but you'll be so much closer to campus. That's not something to be overlooked! The option to pop back to your room in a small gap for a rest/nap/snack/etc is very nice, without having to have the 15 minute walk each way that MP rooms have.

Hopefully that helps a bit

(Original post by Jonnyishman)
    One point to add on to what Dan said is that with manor mark all the flats as far as I know are just 6 people to a flat. Where for band C on campus you can go from as few to 6 in a flat to as many as 14 to a flat. It seems this year you're unable to pick Which band C room you want and they do vary unlike manor park which are all the same.

Even though I'm speaking generally here. Generally major park will attract more international students because they can afford en-suite rooms, And it will also generally attract more final years and postgraduates as first years are usually given preference for campus and some postgraduates and final years will want to be in a quieter place. You won't have to worry about living with them as you'll just be housed with other first years. But as international students and postgraduates are generally quieter you will find manor park is a quieter less social place than campus, As well as being less convenient distance wise.

So if you would prefer somewhere quiet than manor park is a no brainer. If you'd want to get the most of the social side of uni however I would always recommend on campus.

I am speaking very generally though. You could very well end up in major park with 5 other people who want to do nothing but party or you could end up in Surrey court with 13 socially retarded people.
    Thanks guys. I have already decided that I am going to put Band D on campus as my first choice, so I'm just trying to decide between Band D MP and Band C Campus for my 2nd/3rd choices - as I'm finding it hard to decide what is more important to me, the ensuite or being on campus.

What is the walk like between campus and MP?? Any busy roads or creepy subways to go through?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    Thanks guys. I have already decided that I am going to put Band D on campus as my first choice, so I'm just trying to decide between Band D MP and Band C Campus for my 2nd/3rd choices - as I'm finding it hard to decide what is more important to me, the ensuite or being on campus.

What is the walk like between campus and MP?? Any busy roads or creepy subways to go through?
    Walk is very easy. I think once you're out of the manor park court you just cross two roundabouts. It goes past the A3 but you would use the underpass. Funny you ask as the underpass used to be known as a creepy place however before my first year they installed security cameras along the walkway so I never got to see what they meant. It's all will lit now anyway and it's always busy as it's the same way students walk to get from campus to Tesco as well.

ReputationRep:
    Walk is very easy. I think once you're out of the manor park court you just cross two roundabouts. It goes past the A3 but you would use the underpass. Funny you ask as the underpass used to be known as a creepy place however before my first year they installed security cameras along the walkway so I never got to see what they meant. It's all will lit now anyway and it's always busy as it's the same way students walk to get from campus to Tesco as well.
    Ok, good thanks; I didn't wan't to sound like a wimp, but I would rather avoid walking through dark creepy places late at night when I don't know the area.

Oh I meant to ask, do you know how much the bus costs for MP to campus? And if you get a year/season ticket does this include buses to guildford town and further away?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    Ok, good thanks; I didn't wan't to sound like a wimp, but I would rather avoid walking through dark creepy places late at night when I don't know the area.

Oh I meant to ask, do you know how much the bus costs for MP to campus? And if you get a year/season ticket does this include buses to guildford town and further away?
    I only got the bus from manor park to campus twice in four years and I was drunk both times. I think a journey is ~£1 return. Regarding bus passes;

"Arriva Bus travelcards for Guildford
    Make the most of travelling by bus and enjoy huge discounts with a University of Surrey bus travelcard.

All staff and students who hold a University of Surrey Campus Card can purchase an annual or a three-monthly bus travelcard for unlimited travel on all Arriva's commercial services (including the Guildford Link Services) within the Guildford urban area.
    The Arriva travelcard for Guildford is subsidised by the University, and currently costs £135 for an annual card and£60 for a three-monthly card."

That would cover anywhere in Guildford worth going to. I recommend getting a bike though. It would be far quicker than both walking and getting the bus.

ReputationRep:

Am I right in thinking that some Band C rooms don't have sinks/washbasins and cupboards in each individual room?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.