Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Edexcel 6BIO7/01 (International Unit 3B) ~ 7th May 2013 ~ AS Biology Watch

• View Poll Results: Which practical do you expect? ~Biology unit 3 May 7~
    Daphnia (effect of caffeine on heart beat rate)
    13.51%
    Test for vitamin C
    16.22%
    Membrane permeability (Beetroot)
    24.32%
    Enzyme concentration
    16.22%
    Mitosis (Onion root cell)
    75.68%
    Tissue culture
    10.81%
    Tensile strength of plant fibres
    10.81%
    Mineral deficiencies
    10.81%
    Antimicrobial properties of plants
    21.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relaxedexams)
    They create the paper a few years back. If we are able to understand the implications, shouldn't we be able to explain them?
    Of course ... if the spec says you should understand it means you should know how to describe/explain/suggest how/why/what it is etc....just like in 2013 Jan
    But I seriously reckon that the last two questions in 2013 were added just few months before exam. Otherwise why question again 2012 summer concepts... referencing(bibliography ) in 2012 summer was a total failure by many candidates as well as the ethical implications of daphnia. So they just warn and decide to question again.
    and then last two questions of 2013 Jan was again environmental implications and again referencing!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKingOfTSR)
    Of course ... if the spec says you should understand it means you should know how to describe/explain/suggest how/why/what it is etc....just like in 2013 Jan
    But I seriously reckon that the last two questions in 2013 were added just few months before exam. Otherwise why question again 2012 summer concepts... referencing(bibliography ) in 2012 summer was a total failure by many candidates as well as the ethical implications of daphnia. So they just warn and decide to question again.
    and then last two questions of 2013 Jan was again environmental implications and again referencing!!!
    I'm 95% sure that they set the papers a few years back. Definitely not a few months before the exam They have to check the papers, print, distribute to A LOT of countries in a few months? Don't think so

ReputationRep:
    I'm 95% sure that they set the papers a few years back. Definitely not a few months before the exam They have to check the papers, print, distribute to A LOT of countries in a few months? Don't think so
    A lot of countries??
    A few years back??
    Well they could easily distribute it within a month even :screwy:
    How else do they correct them?
    According to my knowledge the papers are set 8-9 months back. Howver I think modifications were done to include the last 2 questions in Jan 2013 only after the summer series.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of countries??
    A few years back??
    Well they could easily distribute it within a month even :screwy:
    How else do they correct them?
    According to my knowledge the papers are set 8-9 months back. Howver I think modifications were done to include the last 2 questions in Jan 2013 only after the summer series.
    Are you sure that they modify the next paper based on the previous session's results? If so we can better predict the type of questions for our paper by looking at the Jan 2013 paper!

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking if a line of best fit or lines joining the points is more suitable for a line graph.
    Anything is correct. I prefer joining the lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NilFBosh)
    Anything is correct. I prefer joining the lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The best advice when plotting graphs is to join the points with a straight ruled line. However, it is clear that when candidates do this there is a tendency to then describe every little fluctuation in this line, rather than to look for overall trends and then comment on significant changes to this trend. A description that describes the changes between each of the points is a reiteration of the data and is unlikely to gain marks. If a line of best fit is required in future, that should be clearly requested in the question

Above is an examiner's comment.

ReputationRep:
    How should we draw the standard deviation bars? (for line and bar graphs) If the SD is 4 for example should be draw a line that is 4 units above and below the point and draw horizontal lines at the two ends of the vertical line? Or is there some other way?

ReputationRep:
    How should we draw the standard deviation bars? (for line and bar graphs) If the SD is 4 for example should be draw a line that is 4 units above and below the point and draw horizontal lines at the two ends of the vertical line? Or is there some other way?
    That way is correct. If u are not sure check marking scheme for May 2012 1st question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That way is correct. Never draw it on to one side only..draw above and below the point. We call it a "vertical error bar"...which is drawn roughly . This same approach must be used when we have to show errors and uncertainty such as instrumental errors which are very useful when plotting graphs related to other science subjects. These graphs have the bars to both direction as not only y quantity has an error but x too , so be careful.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, could anyone please upload a pic of the graph in question 1 may 2012 unit 3 paper???? please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parishah)
    Hey, could anyone please upload a pic of the graph in question 1 may 2012 unit 3 paper???? please
    You got a problem?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You got a problem?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parishah)
    thanks
    You don't need to say thanks...

Just give me a rep!

ReputationRep:
    my unit 1 biology exam's in 3 weeks time and i don't know how to revise for it
    help???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nailaxx)
    my unit 1 biology exam's in 3 weeks time and i don't know how to revise for it
    help???
    Here are some good notes (by assassin):
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...9&d=1356398617

ReputationRep:
    What are economical implications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevsamuel)
    What are economical implications?
    Implications related to economy, such as cost and money. When asked for an economic implication, choose a phrase that has something about cost or money in it.

ReputationRep:
    Here are some good notes (by assassin):
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...9&d=1356398617
    thank you
    this helps a lot

ReputationRep:
    Guys,how can I revise for question 2? the article! I'm lost and can't do it, are there any tips???!

ReputationRep:
    You got a problem?
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been looking everywhere for a picture of that graph

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.