Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Edexcel 6BIO7/01 (International Unit 3B) ~ 7th May 2013 ~ AS Biology Watch

• View Poll Results: Which practical do you expect? ~Biology unit 3 May 7~
    Daphnia (effect of caffeine on heart beat rate)
    13.51%
    Test for vitamin C
    16.22%
    Membrane permeability (Beetroot)
    24.32%
    Enzyme concentration
    16.22%
    Mitosis (Onion root cell)
    75.68%
    Tissue culture
    10.81%
    Tensile strength of plant fibres
    10.81%
    Mineral deficiencies
    10.81%
    Antimicrobial properties of plants
    21.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relaxedexams)
    The mitosis practical has never shown up in the 3B papers, so there is a good chance of us getting that next week. Membrane permeability also hasn't come in a while. Enzyme concentration and antimicrobial properties of plants may also be possible questions. That is not to say that the other practicals should not be studied though! These are just the most likely.
    Thanks a lot! Either way, will have to go over every single practical. Just to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    i wanted to ask what exactly the different between validity and reliability is?
    Some qestions ask for "comment on validity" some "comment on reliability"
    I know experiments are reliable, when there is lots of repeats, calculation of mean, little anomalies...
    But what exactly is validity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahjehovah)
    will anyone be having the pastpaper of year 2013 jan ? for the subs chem bio and phys?
    plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help
    All jan 2013 papers are here:- http://www.freeexampapers.com/#/A%20Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gimme those exams)
    Hi guys,
    i wanted to ask what exactly the different between validity and reliability is?
    Some qestions ask for "comment on validity" some "comment on reliability"
    I know experiments are reliable, when there is lots of repeats, calculation of mean, little anomalies...
    But what exactly is validity?
    Reliability - When you repeat the experiment many times and get results that are similar/same/close to each other it is said to have high reliability.

Validity - An experiment with high validity should be carried out with all the correct assumptions in mind and correct equipment. There should be no bias.

You can read the definitions here for a better understanding:- http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...-TRB-OGHSW.PDF

ReputationRep:
    Have u guys seen the Jan 13 paper. for the last question on q2. the marking scheme says omit the address of the Cambridge press.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKingOfTSR)
    Here are some good notes (by assassin):
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...9&d=1356398617
    hi im actually new to the room

Anyway do u think this notes might be sufficient enough, did u go through it fully ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anujan Murugesu)
    Have u guys seen the Jan 13 paper. for the last question on q2. the marking scheme says omit the address of the Cambridge press.
    Yes. Cause they said reference 3 is a complete and suitable bibliography. So you have to write it just like ref 3. So in ref 3 address wasn't there. So no need address of the publisher. Basically in any bibliography don't write any address.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If any one wants a username and password to login to edexcel, just PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramanan)

Anyway do u think this notes might be sufficient enough, did u go through it fully ?
    It might be helpful to do the pastpapers, check the marking scheme for the particular papers and read through the revision guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anujan Murugesu)
    Bibliography order:- Author and Publish Date
    Source
    Publisher's Name
    City, Country

This is based on two mark schemes where you have to sort out the bibliography. Address is not needed unless shown in a template.

In the Jan 2013 paper a template was shown. The template didn't contain an address, so you don't have to write the address either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramanan)

These notes are a great compilation of mark schemes by 'The Assassin', but IMO use them for revision, to skim through the syllabus, not to learn the content. For that learn from a textbook or from notes given by your tutor.

Like NilFBosh said, do pastpapers and check them against the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Bibliography order:- Author and Publish Date
    Source
    Publisher's Name
    City, Country

This is based on two mark schemes where you have to sort out the bibliography. Address is not needed unless shown in a template.

In the Jan 2013 paper a template was shown. The template didn't contain an address, so you don't have to write the address either.
    Thanx man!

ReputationRep:
    All jan 2013 papers are here:- http://www.freeexampapers.com/#/A%20Level
    THANKYOU SOOO MUCH ....... :kissing2:

ReputationRep:
    Hi can someone send me a picture of may 2012 question 1(b)(||) solved cos i dont know how to do the standard deviation bars

ReputationRep:
    My lecturer said Observing Mitosis is not an experiment.

I can't tell.

If so is an experiment, what are the variables?
    independent? dependent?

He added that to revise old past papers because he probably thinks that past questions gonna repeat to ask again.

If so, then not going to be questions from 2013 or 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuhairie)
    Hi can someone send me a picture of may 2012 question 1(b)(||) solved cos i dont know how to do the standard deviation bars
    The graph was posted a few pages back. You can check it there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liowwc)
    My lecturer said Observing Mitosis is not an experiment.

I can't tell.

If so is an experiment, what are the variables?
    independent? dependent?

He added that to revise old past papers because he probably thinks that past questions gonna repeat to ask again.

If so, then not going to be questions from 2013 or 2012.
    Im pretty sure observing mitosis is a practical cuz I've been taught like that.

The variables, I can't say for sure cuz there have been no past paper questions on it, but the most likely for a linear graph will be:-
    Independent variable - Time
    Dependant variable - No. of cells at a particular stage of mitosis

It is also possible for us to get a bar graph instead of a linear graph.

All this is just speculation, so take it with a pinch of salt
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,
    pu was wondering pleas eim anyone could please tell me how you can use standard deviation to assess the reliability of a practical?
    Thankyou so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys.
    I have a question reagarding this exam.
    For this exam, we have to study only the experiments?
    Or, the examiners want us to actually study Unit 1 and Unit 2 as well ? Because , Unit 1 and Unit 2 are after unit 3 , we wont need to study them for this exam ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NilFBosh)
    It might be helpful to do the pastpapers, check the marking scheme for the particular papers and read through the revision guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ya i've been doing tht , thx for da info

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.