Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Car Accident, should I have stopped? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was driving back from uni before, and was approaching a roundabout, there was traffic but it was moving, so I approached slowly, all of a sudden the car in front of me slammed on the brakes, so I did too! I almost went into the back of them! The car behind me slammed on too, and I noticed in my mirror that a motorcyclist behind them had fallen off their bike. The car behind me (which was directly in front of the motorcyclist, and I think the motorcyclist hit their car) stopped, I never stopped because I was not directly involved in the accident, I never crashed and I wasn't crashed in to. I don't feel it was may fault as I had to slam on because of a car in front of me, should I have stopped or was I right not to?

Thanks for the help, so gormless when it comes to this kind of thing haha!

From a legal point of view, you didn't need to stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    From a legal point of view, you didn't need to stop.
    thanks, thinking now I should have stopped to make sure everyone was ok :\ just to clarify, who's fault is this, would it be the motorcyclist's fault for not having a good enough stopping distance between them and the car in front? Could it in any way be my fault?

ReputationRep:
    You should leave enough room in front of you do you don't have to slam on your brakes, but the motorcycle should have done the same, and he should be aware it's easy to throw the bike when braking hard, especially if theres stuff on the road. So it's technically his fault for not leaving enough stopping distance, unless he came off because of gravel or diesel on the road, which is a different matter and still not your fault.

(Original post by Hannah124)
    thanks, thinking now I should have stopped to make sure everyone was ok :\ just to clarify, who's fault is this, would it be the motorcyclist's fault for not having a good enough stopping distance between them and the car in front? Could it in any way be my fault?
    Motorcyclists fault for not leaving enough room.

ReputationRep:
    You did nothing wrong, and although people say you should leave enough room, when driving at slow speeds and the person in front of you does a emergency break, you probably need to as well. I see no way it could have not been prevented.

It was the Motorcyclists fault at the end of the day, was probably not paying attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beau168)
    You did nothing wrong, and although people say you should leave enough room, when driving at slow speeds and the person in front of you does a emergency break, you probably need to as well. I see no way it could have not been prevented.

It was the Motorcyclists fault at the end of the day, was probably not paying attention
    That's the way I see it too, just need a bit of reassurance, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You didn't need to stop, it was the motorcyclist's fault for not leaving appropriate stopping distance.

ReputationRep:
    you didnt need to, but it can help them if you put yourself forword as a witness.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if only for a minute to make sure that everyone is okay, and any emergency services that are required at called. If you could tell that from your car before driving off, then change the 'yes' to a 'no'.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I wouldn't have stopped as long as there's enough people there to help them. What use am I going to be what nobody else can do?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.