Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently choosing my a-levels and I am intertested in taking either psychology or sociology but, i'm unsure of which to choose. My other choices are I.C.T, English Language and general studies.
    I have done some research into both psychology and sociology and they look very simular in what they include (therioes and cases ect.)
    Is there any advice you could give me to help me decide?
    Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology. Unis love sociology, however I would suggest taking photography because unis love the creativity that is often associated with the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to apply to uni? Check what uni's would prefer.
    Quite a lot of uni's don't accept general studies as a subject so you might want to check if the one you goes to accepts it?
    i take psychology, it's ok there are some biology bits to it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure on whether universities love sociology, It's quite a mediocre a-level so it's neither hard or soft. Same goes for phycology. Both of these a-levels need are quite similar, sociology is more to do with society and phycology is focused on the individual. What do you want to go into when you're older? It depends on that really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    I'm not sure on whether universities love sociology, It's quite a mediocre a-level so it's neither hard or soft. Same goes for phycology. Both of these a-levels need are quite similar, sociology is more to do with society and phycology is focused on the individual. What do you want to go into when you're older? It depends on that really.
    I'm not certain of what I want to do when I am older but I am interested in working to help people in some way, which is why I think that picking psychology or sociology as an a-level would be useful. Do you think sociology would be better for me as it is to do with society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreeFlying)
    I'm not certain of what I want to do when I am older but I am interested in working to help people in some way, which is why I think that picking psychology or sociology as an a-level would be useful. Do you think sociology would be better for me as it is to do with society?
    They're both really fine to be honest, sociology is better because it is to do with society. Then again, phycology gives you a better understanding of the individual.

Try some taster sessions would be my best advice.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities don't accept general studies, so if you're planning on going I wouldn't recommend taking it. :/ I do psychology and it is one of the most interesting subjects and probably my favorite. My friend does both and she loves both of them. Both include quite an bit of essay writing but are both interesting so good luck making a choice!

(Original post by FreeFlying)
    Hi,
    I am currently choosing my a-levels and I am intertested in taking either psychology or sociology but, i'm unsure of which to choose. My other choices are I.C.T, English Language and general studies.
    I have done some research into both psychology and sociology and they look very simular in what they include (therioes and cases ect.)
    Is there any advice you could give me to help me decide?
    Thankyou.
    Heya, I did both Sociology and Psychology at A-levels. :yep: It's true that there's an overlap when you're studying research methods and the like - to the extent that some of the time you're studying the same thing in both subjects - but the substance when you get to the pulp of the subjects is very different. You want to think about and decide what it is you're interested in: the general workings of society and social systems, or the exploration of behaviour? The main way the two subjects are linked are in that they both look at why people act the way they do, but they do it on different levels. Personally, I'm very glad I did both, because I don't feel you can truly understand one without the other - but that doesn't mean either on its own wouldn't be useful or comprehensive if your interests are specific to what it has to offer.

I'm more than happy to try and help if you have any further questions. Good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staceykimb)
    Most universities don't accept general studies, so if you're planning on going I wouldn't recommend taking it. :/ I do psychology and it is one of the most interesting subjects and probably my favorite. My friend does both and she loves both of them. Both include quite an bit of essay writing but are both interesting so good luck making a choice!
    Thankyou for the advice, I have chosen to do psychology. I have also thought about doing a different subject rather than general studies as an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Heya, I did both Sociology and Psychology at A-levels. :yep: It's true that there's an overlap when you're studying research methods and the like - to the extent that some of the time you're studying the same thing in both subjects - but the substance when you get to the pulp of the subjects is very different. You want to think about and decide what it is you're interested in: the general workings of society and social systems, or the exploration of behaviour? The main way the two subjects are linked are in that they both look at why people act the way they do, but they do it on different levels. Personally, I'm very glad I did both, because I don't feel you can truly understand one without the other - but that doesn't mean either on its own wouldn't be useful or comprehensive if your interests are specific to what it has to offer.

I'm more than happy to try and help if you have any further questions. Good luck with your decision!
    Thankyou so much for the help. I have chosen to take psycology

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.