The Student Room Group

heelp!!manchester uni vs city uni

Hi.
Which one is better?
I was offered a place at:
Manchester Uni: International Business, Finance and Economics
City University(London): Business Studies

What would you choose? Please give arguments.
I heard a lot of good and bad things about City and I don't know what to believe.
+ I know Manchester has a better international reputation

thanks a looot :smile:
I will pick Manchester definitely,
The international ranking of Manchester Business School is aroudn 30th.
The job prospects are quite well
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply, Albertys. :smile:
Meanwhile, University of York offered me a place for BSc Finance&Economics.
What would you choose now?

+ Is Unistats a website which you can take into account, when making a decision?
For example(in my case)-Average salary six months after the course:
Manchester-BSc International business, finance and economics-22000
City Uni(Cass Business School)-BSc Business Studies-27000
York- BSc Finance&Economics-25000

Therefor, if i choose by salary, the order is City,York,Manchester.

???Don't know what to do....
NB: I am an international student==>I don't know as many things about UK universities as UK students know. So please help me!:biggrin:
Thank you.
Reply 3

Exactly the same as mine offers! Haha
I'm an international student too!
I firmed Cass already though. Where are you from?

Reply 4
I'm from Romania. Where are you from? I'm thinking of choosing york as my firm and manchester as second. But I don't now... I'm not sure...
Anyone? different opinions? :smile:
Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by just_me2894
Hi.
Which one is better?
I was offered a place at:

What would you choose? Please give arguments.
I heard a lot of good and bad things about City and I don't know what to believe.
+ I know Manchester has a better international reputation

thanks a looot :smile:

Original post by bunny382

Exactly the same as mine offers! Haha
I'm an international student too!
I firmed Cass already though. Where are you from?

May I ask when did you guys send out your application
and when did you get the decision from CASS?
I sent mine out really late (in february) and haven't heard from them yet.
They said they would inform the result within 6-8 weeks
and this week is the 6th and I've become so scared :/
Reply 6
Don't worry tharntharn. I send my application on 2December and York answered me a few days ago... And I still have an university with no response....
so, wait a little longer. Don't worry, be happy!:biggrin:
Reply 7
Ultimately one must choose on which course he/she likes the best and perhaps to a lesser extent which city they want to live in. But I think ranking comes in to it a bit. If it's a choice between a prestigious uni like Manchester and City, then I'd go Manchester, unless the City one has a course you absolutely love and you really want to go to London, in which case go to City, but if your neither here nor there with course/city, pick Manchester, it's a no brainer. It's been like 26th in the world for Physics in the past and its very high for business.
Reply 8
Original post by Eboracum
Ultimately one must choose on which course he/she likes the best and perhaps to a lesser extent which city they want to live in. But I think ranking comes in to it a bit. If it's a choice between a prestigious uni like Manchester and City, then I'd go Manchester, unless the City one has a course you absolutely love and you really want to go to London, in which case go to City, but if your neither here nor there with course/city, pick Manchester, it's a no brainer. It's been like 26th in the world for Physics in the past and its very high for business.

What about York? Is York better than Manchester?
Reply 9
What about York? Is York better than Manchester?

My opinion on Universities is that when they are of a similar level, a degree from one university isn't going to get you the job over another. It is about you as a person, as a character, and your skills for the job.

If you are asking about ranking, I'd argue Oxbridge is the best, then the three London unis (Imperial, LSE, UCL), then Durham, then a batch of really good ones including Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, York, St Andrews, KCL, ext. But I think its fine margins, a good degree from any of these unis is going to hold you in good stead.

It's a difficult debate, because until one has studied at that university, it is hard to say how good they think it is, and for most people, they'll only ever study at a maximum of three in their lives.

There'll be kids at York saying York is better and they'll be kids at Manchester saying Manchester is better. We are higher in the UK rankings and they are higher in the world rankings. I'd say pretty even. What do you think?

What made you want to leave Manchester for KCL/St Andrews?
Reply 10
I think my IELTS score wasn't enough or something like this...
What attracts me at york is the exchange program. But you are right, M and Y are both good uni...
Anyway, thank you very much for your help!:smile:
Reply 11
I'm from Romania. Where are you from? I'm thinking of choosing york as my firm and manchester as second. But I don't now... I'm not sure...
Anyone? different opinions? :smile:
Thanks.

I'm from Singapore. I guess both York and Manchester are good uni but apparently MBS is more experienced and well-regarded in business education since it has such a reputation as a business school. It actually attracts many good professors to teach in MBS. Plus imo the course content of IBFE in MBS looks very useful and practical as well :smile: however for Cass it's a different story compare to these two unis. Cass is more career-driven, getting you ready for employment, professional skills etc. Depends on what kind of uni life you want :smile: I personally prefer London and the location of Cass makes it perfect for business studies :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by tharntharn
May I ask when did you guys send out your application
and when did you get the decision from CASS?
I sent mine out really late (in february) and haven't heard from them yet.
They said they would inform the result within 6-8 weeks
and this week is the 6th and I've become so scared :/

I just got it few weeks ago. What course did you apply?
Reply 13
I applied for 2 courses
1) A&F
2) Banking and international finance

Have seen some decisions from these courses for UK students here
but I'm an international student so I don't know :/
Hi Bunny382 and tharntharn

Please do not worry if you havent heard from us. We take around 6-8 weeks to process your application. However if you do still want to speak to someone, please do not hesitate to contact our Admissions Team at [email protected] quoting your UCAS ID number

Thanks

Verity

Quick Reply