Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

"I'm entitled to my opinion" Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find this response in a discussion absolutely infuriating?

You know, when someone says something that you simply disagree with, and when you politely question them on it, they respond by saying something like "Well excuse me for having an opinion." Why do some people think they have a right to express an opinion but not the right to have it questioned?

ReputationRep:
    It is quite annoying. I mean, it's true and everything but why enter into a discussion about something when you're not willing to have opinion questioned? It's usually a cop-out when people realise that they're wrong and can't find anything else to say. :L

ReputationRep:
    i usually reply along the lines of 'and i'm entitled to point out how dumb it is' in more or less polite language depending on the context

ReputationRep:
    It is highly annoying. I generally respond with

'Yes, and I'm entitled to have an opinion about your opinion, if you don't want my opinion on your opinion then keep your opinion to yourself'

ReputationRep:
    It is usually because they cannot justify their stance and/or lack a cogent argument in support of it. Just think of it as them being slighty stupid - that will help the irritation!

ReputationRep:
    "I detest what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire.

ReputationRep:
    It's a get-out clause for people who can't justify their viewpoint. No one will criticise you for having an opinion, they'll just criticise you for that opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I never use this, but sometimes pull out of debates in a similar fashion just because I cannot be bothered to bash my head against the wall arguing with some of the utter planks on this site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Normally a cop-out when I've heard it used, unless it's followed an actual meaningful discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Generally I find it shuts them up when you tell them that their opinion is ill informed and cite 5-20 studies.
    Doesn't work on subjective matters though...

ReputationRep:
    Opinions suck, Facts rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)

'Yes, and I'm entitled to have an opinion about your opinion, if you don't want my opinion on your opinion then keep your opinion to yourself'
    Steve, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    Opinions suck, Facts rock.
    Facts are boring. (And that is my opinion).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    Facts are boring. (And that is my opinion).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That opinion sucks, that is a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)

If the other persons smart this argument will descend into a loop, in which each participant repeats 'if you don't want my opinion on your opinion on my opinion then keep your opinon to yourself. Participants must always begin with 'my opinion' and follow it up by alternating bands of 'your opinion' and 'my opinion', until the amount of oscillations is one greater than the previous participants, then you must conclude with 'then keep your opinion to yourself'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    That opinion sucks, that is a fact.
    Nah, that is your opinion.

In my opinion your claim of fact is based purely on your opinion of my opinion.

You are entitled to that opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    If the other persons smart this argument will descend into a loop, in which each participant repeats 'if you don't want my opinion on your opinion on my opinion then keep your opinon to yourself. Participants must always begin with 'my opinion' and follow it up by alternating bands of 'your opinion' and 'my opinion', until the amount of oscillations is one greater than the previous participants, then you must conclude with 'then keep your opinion to yourself'.
    Huh. I started engaging in this even before I read your post.

Does that make me smart (in your opinion)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeah, what these people forget is that the rest of the world is entitled to call them an idiot if the opinion deserves it

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has freedom of thought and freedom of expression. You're entitled to have an opinion, I'm entitled to blow it to pieces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    Nah, that is your opinion.

In my opinion your claim of fact is based purely on your opinion of my opinion.

You are entitled to that opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I give a negative f*ck, giving a negative f*ck can destroy the universe as we know it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.