Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying at the moment to my school's Chicago exchange and I was looking for advice on hosting and visiting. What sort of things were organised for your partner, what did you have to pay for? Any tips for when you are over there?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit different but I did a Chinese exchange last year. Being over there was amazing - definitely go on an exchange - you learn so much. Anyway, when they came back over here a lot of the stuff the school organised so we weren't always scrambling for ideas, but we did things like cinema trips, bowling, parties as a whole group and we went shopping pretty much every day. We paid for tickets for various things (bowling, cinema, trains). If your exchange comes back over here take them to a local city - if you live near London take them to Madame Tussauds, museums, Oxford Street etc. (If not take them to similar sorts of things in your local city. Doing things with other people is also a really good idea - it just makes things a lot less awkward and it's basically just more fun. When you're over there I'd just talk to your partner as much as possible - I found out the hard way that if you sort of sit there and say nothing it gets really awkward. When you talk you find that you have lots in common and stuff, and yeah it just makes it easier the next time.
    Anyway yeah, hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    I know this was ages ago now, but thanks, I never did get round to replying, but thank you, it did help.

Does anyone have any advice as to contacting your exchange partner beforehand and what you can do when they arrive to make them feel welcome, other than "be nice" I mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynical_Smile01)
    I know this was ages ago now, but thanks, I never did get round to replying, but thank you, it did help.

Does anyone have any advice as to contacting your exchange partner beforehand and what you can do when they arrive to make them feel welcome, other than "be nice" I mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just found this thread again - email them - that really helps because you get to know them as a person before they even get here. Show them around, take them to a restaurant with people that came over with them if any, let them relax when they first arrive because they'll be really tired. imagine how you'd feel if you had just arrived in a strange place not knowing anyone and treat them how you'd want to be treated basically.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.