Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

17 year old and 15 year old Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monk_keys)
    Because the main benefit of a lower age of consent is allowing young people who are emotionally ready, to have sex. The main disadvantage is taking away a lot of legal power to prosecute those who manipulate and abuse those not ready.

At 12 almost nobody is ready and almost everyone is open to abuse...you're gaining nothing and losing everything.

Maybe there are places where 12 works within particular social/ cultural contexts, the average in Europe seems to be 15/16...however completely reinventing how our society views sex through better sex education (from a society that can't convince people not to smoke cigarettes which kill them) is a pipe dream.
    I understand what you're saying... perhaps though some sort of compromise would be better. For people between the ages of 12-16, consent can only be given by someone else between those ages, or a couple of years older if you're at the older end. That way, there is protection against vulnerable young teenagers being abused by adults.

And I don't think it is a pipe dream at all... the state of sex education is terrible in this country. A drastic overhaul would do a lot of good. It might take a generation or two to see the full effects, but its not a pipe dream. Smoking is a completely different matter that I don't want to get into on this thread to avoid going off on an irrelevant tangent.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem with that... 2 years is hardly a lot - at that age maturity varies hugely. Some 15 year old probably shouldn't be in any kind of relationship but others could have a valid/constructive one.

I met my wife when I was 16, hardly that far away...

ReputationRep:
    There's that old rule that says the lower bound for the age of the girl is half the boy's plus 7. So 17/2 = 8.5 + 7 = 15.5. So by that rule, they have to be at least 6 months away from their 16th birthday

As for the sex part, I do think the current age of consent is fine. When you're 12 years old you should still be an innocent child, so corrupting that innocence with sex is just wrong and disgusting. 13 is the age when you're just hitting puberty and your body is going through all kinds of changes. It can be a very confusing time, especially for girls (periods and stuff) ,so be having sex at 13 is also unacceptable. At 14 you're still in early teens so sex is still inappropriate. As for 15, maybe some girls are ready for sex emotionally and physically, but most will not be. That is why the age of consent has been set at 16. You can't just argue with it and say that "oh at 16 do you magically become ready for sex". It's not like that, it's a gradual process. There has to be well defined limits though.
    So yes a 17 year old and a 15 year old having a relationship is fine, but it would not be worth the risk by having a sexual relationship before she turns 16 because it's against the law. And if you want to argue "well she was just one year away so it's not that serious!", well then if you lower is to 15 to account for this and then a 14 year old has sex you then can make the same argument, and when will it stop? Hence why you have a defined limit, and it doesn't matter if you're even just 1 month away from 16yrs old, it's still wrong!

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, whether or not you decide to have sex. Not a big deal at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's fine...

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, as long as you make zero skin to skin contact, and her parents are constantly supervising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    And they suddenly are as soon as they hit 16?
    Not necessarily, but you need to draw the line somewhere because the law needs a basis to go off. Can you imagine the resources it would take to assess everyone individually. How would you decide the guidelines for that and how would spending that money benefit society? What if a teen passes, but their legal guardians don't agree with the decision? Can they veto it?

Would you cap the assessment at 16 year olds, or would you also assess 16+ year olds who might not seem mature enough yet? What if you fail the test at 13? How long before you can reapply? Do you get a certificate if you pass?

Plus it's incredibly creepy to have a government department dedicated to deciding whether young teens are mature enough to have sex yet.

In all honesty, I probably thought that 16 was fine when I was 16. In my 20s I worked with some 16+ year olds in a retail job and honestly I'd say you could raise the age of consent to 18 no problem. Most of the 16 to 18 year olds I meet still look and act like children.

Edit: It's probably important to say that consent is a legal term, in this context it doesn't mean "saying yes". Someone under the age of 16 is legally unable to give consent. Even if they actually do say yes, legally, it doesn't mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What is your opinion on a 17 year old boy and 15 year old girl being together? Year 12 with year 10.
    Nothing wrong with it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    This thread is 4 years old.

ReputationRep:
    As long as no sexing until you're both 16+

ReputationRep:
    ask adam Johnson mate

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2017
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.