Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

The Irish are the best example of cultural integration Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_m..._Great_Britain

I personally think the Irish have integrated very well into British society.

What do you think ?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2291302

This is what that thread has produced you to do.. and didn't you also mention the french?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2291302

This is what that thread has produced you to do.. and didn't you also mention the french?
    We could mention lots of groups who have integrated successfully.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to mention the Saxons, Vikings, Normans, Celts, Jutes and Angles? Granted some of them didn't settle peacefully, but they certainly integrated to some extent and we don't pick bones about it now (except for the Normans...many people seem to still be bitter about 'the French' beating 'us' )

ReputationRep:
    Well since Ireland is so vastly different to Britain in every possible way, I am so surprised at how well we integrated into British society.... >.>

ReputationRep:
    Every few days the same thread pops up with a different group. It's becoming rather tiresome

ReputationRep:
    Aware.

ReputationRep:
    They've integrated well but they endured centuries of people convinced they would flood the country and change it into a foreign country, and that attempts to integrate them was soft. Sounds familiar...

ReputationRep:
    The Viking were by far the best at cultural integration. They made Britain, Ireland, the Shetlands, Orkneys, Greenland, Iceland and Normandy their own, as well as spreading their influence to the foundations of the Russian nation state (the Rus).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.a.u)
    Every few days the same thread pops up with a different group. It's becoming rather tiresome
    No it doesn't......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    No it doesn't......
    Really? There was one concerning Sikhs posted a few days ago

ReputationRep:
    My Grandparents from one side emigrated to England in the 50's, and ran a pub in Hackney/ East London. Theres not a great cultural difference between paddies and britties if im honest :P

Banter between Brits and the Irish is pretty amazing.

ReputationRep:
    No they're not. Irish culture has brought over gypsy culture that causes massive issues for residents in many areas.

Irish people are also not particularly well integrated into English society and still identify as Irish and still celebrate St. Patrick's Day over St. George's Day.

The crime rates amongst Irish immigrants is also a lot higher than average.

This idea that the Irish are some sort of model immigrant group is frankly absurd.

ReputationRep:
    My grandparents are Irish (living in England) and we're all living here quite happily, but just don't make my Gran angry as she'll throw at potato at you! Just kidding, but she can't get over the fact that I hate potatoes and I can't handle my drink tho :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    No they're not. Irish culture has brought over gypsy culture that causes massive issues for residents in many areas.

Irish people are also not particularly well integrated into English society and still identify as Irish and still celebrate St. Patrick's Day over St. George's Day.

This idea that the Irish are some sort of model immigrant group is frankly absurd.

How many people celebrate St. George's Day and how many people celebrate St. Patricks day when they're not even Irish?

I would like to see some facts to this statement about crime rates. My grandparents are Irish and strong Catholics like many others; they wouldn't even think about committing a crime!

ReputationRep:

7% of Irish are travellers. They are a minority group made famous by a program on channel 4 and many are in fact lovely people with genuinely the best of intentions.

I've never seen anyone celebrate St. George's Day. Ever.

Statistics on the crime rates please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser87)
    7% of Irish are travellers. They are a minority group made famous by a program on channel 4 and many are in fact lovely people with genuinely the best of intentions.

I've never seen anyone celebrate St. George's Day. Ever.

Statistics on the crime rates please?
    I've been to a number of St. George's Day parades through scouts, but as it doesn't have a history of insane amounts of drinking, it's never going to be as big as St. Patrick's Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    They've integrated well but they endured centuries of people convinced they would flood the country and change it into a foreign country, and that attempts to integrate them was soft. Sounds familiar...
    Don't forget they also went through a stage of trying to recruit disaffected youth and turn them into terrorists who would plant bombs in mainland UK to try and kill us, and when we put them in jail they pleaded they had 'human rights' and should get special treatment because they were political prisoners who were fighting a war against the UK.

The Irish example shows us what can be achieved with a strong effort to drive multiculturalism and integration - just because some Muslims are using the UK as a ground to preach against the UK and recruit terrorists against us, doesn't mean we should send them back, it just means we have to work harder to integrate them, like we did the Irish.

Now the two countries have great relations and despite our own financial troubles we have provided financial assistance to Ireland when they were in need a couple of years ago - possibly we could start doing the same for countries like Pakistan, Somalia etc to cement the friendship between the countries and foster better multicultural integration.

Another point which has helped integration is there are no limits on the number of migrants from Ireland to the UK, we could look at removing the limits on the number of migrants from Islamic countries too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.a.u)
    They might aswell create a poll or something for us all to vote..with the groups that everyone are saying are best culturally integrated. So, that we can just see the results from the poll and generate our arguments from there and it would stop this new thread nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_m..._Great_Britain

I personally think the Irish have integrated very well into British society.

What do you think ?
    We have quite a few advantages compared to say Pakistan or Bangladesh.

1. Language - this is key, Ireland is quite possibly the most migratory of the english speaking world. We have settled in most english speaking worlds either though choice or necessity (the famine). And whilst like wales we have small pockets of native language only predominantly we speak english.
    2. Close ties to the UK - we always have done and post independance and the troubles the UK continues to be a major import and export for Ireland
    3.Proximity - its a hop across the water.
    4. No passport - prior to 9/11 you could jump back and forth with nothing more than a plane ticket. Now with planes you need some form of photo id however it doesnt have to be a passport, it can be a driving liscence. If you drive over you dont even need that. Dock security is woefully lax for car passengers
    5. Our social structure such as health services, basic law, welfare etc. - It was based off the UK structure. Granted down the line its changed a lot but it was initially based off Britain.

(Original post by malteser87)
    Well since Ireland is so vastly different to Britain in every possible way, I am so surprised at how well we integrated into British society.... >.>
    Culturally yes we are different (and more protective of it that the UK seems to be) but we have many similarities as well. See what i wrote above. We are not that far estranged.

Yeah cos Britian has no gypsies. You gave the world the chav so you can get off your high horse on that.

Paddys day is celebrated by the British just as much by the Irish. Those massive parades - not just done by the Irish, seeing as most of the are hosted by the council.

Really and where is your proof of that?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.