Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Should i go to the doctor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK, very briefly.... I was going to the gym before but I only took it semi-seriously, eg I never watched my diet - I just went into the gym and lifted. Never measured my progress either. I then stopped going to the gym for just over 4 months as I went travelling for that time. I am now about to arrive home from travelling and I realised how much of an idiot o was for not taking things as seriously especially at my age when I can see big gains. I am soooo motivated now. I just want to get into the gym and do thongs right this time. One of my main mistakes was not tracking my progress. So this time round, just at before starting to go to the gym I am thinking about going to the doctor and getting some stats accurately. Eg an accurate resting heart rate number,blood pressure, body fat levels and as many other tests as can. Maybe 2 months later I may go back and see my improvement.I may do this several times to get as accurate results as possible.

Just wanted to ask if this is avoid idea and how often to go to the doc to check progress? Also can you name as many things I can get tested to help me out in the gym? Thanks

(I'm 18 and have no medical conditions that i know of)

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, if you are making a big change like this it makes sense. At my gym they did all these tests in my induction so you could ask staff at your gym instead. But yes, youre doing the sensible thing and it'll give you some stats to begin with which will help you set goals.

Also could measure waist size, upper arm size etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR-19)
    Definitely, if you are making a big change like this it makes sense. At my gym they did all these tests in my induction so you could ask staff at your gym instead. But yes, youre doing the sensible thing and it'll give you some stats to begin with which will help you set goals.

Also could measure waist size, upper arm size etc.
    Thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    Hate to bring out the old GCSE P.E knowledge, but I think you should measure it in reps, much more simple. I.e what is your 1 rep max each time, use 7s for more accuracy(thats where you go to half your max and work your way up 7 reps at a time on each weight untill you reach a point where you have to stop, then you do 1 rep of the next weight, then go down in 7s getting easier). If its cardio you're after, use FIT. Thats nothing special, just frequency intensity and time, but slowly make increases to the time you spend doing it, the intensity(i.e higher speed on a treadmill) and the amount of times you go(frequency). No need to go to the doctors for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nano666)
    Hate to bring out the old GCSE P.E knowledge, but I think you should measure it in reps, much more simple. I.e what is your 1 rep max each time, use 7s for more accuracy(thats where you go to half your max and work your way up 7 reps at a time on each weight untill you reach a point where you have to stop, then you do 1 rep of the next weight, then go down in 7s getting easier). If its cardio you're after, use FIT. Thats nothing special, just frequency intensity and time, but slowly make increases to the time you spend doing it, the intensity(i.e higher speed on a treadmill) and the amount of times you go(frequency). No need to go to the doctors for it
    Yeah I know all that stuff but I wanted to record stats for progress (not just lifting stats - general health ones..... eg resting heart rate, blood pressure, body fat levels, muscle size in different parts of the body, VO2 max/respiratory levels, blood sugar levels, testosterone levels etc). That will give me a wealth of data needed to track progress (more than just the weight I lifted).

ReputationRep:
    Your GP won't thank you for making regular appointments to check these things.
    If you want to be obsessive about it (and it does seem a little obsessive!) then you can check these things yourself.
    Resting pulse is easy to check yourself.
    Body fat will require a good set of measurement scales or a monitor: http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/omr...or-bf306-11795
    Blood pressure requires either a manual sphyg and steth, or something like this: http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/blo...and-cuff-16307
    Muscle size can be done with a fabric measuring tape.

There is nothing in your list that requires the use of precious GP appointment time. Save it for the needy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
    Yeah I know all that stuff but I wanted to record stats for progress (not just lifting stats - general health ones..... eg resting heart rate, blood pressure, body fat levels, muscle size in different parts of the body, VO2 max/respiratory levels, blood sugar levels, testosterone levels etc). That will give me a wealth of data needed to track progress (more than just the weight I lifted).
    Urm a GP can do resting heart rate, blood pressure and perhaps fat levels. But VO2 max, blood sugar levels and testosterone? I doubt it.

You really do not need to go into such depth, only elite athletes are actually concerned about what their VO2 max is, and then it is probably only because they have biomedical scientists poking and prodding them.

Rest heart rate, body fat levels and 1 rep maxima for different exercises is all you really need.

ReputationRep:
    GP's can do that, (possibly not VO2 max) but are unlikely to waste their time doing so purely for the sake of their patients interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    Urm a GP can do resting heart rate, blood pressure and perhaps fat levels. But VO2 max, blood sugar levels and testosterone? I doubt it.

You really do not need to go into such depth, only elite athletes are actually concerned about what their VO2 max is, and then it is probably only because they have biomedical scientists poking and prodding them.

Rest heart rate, body fat levels and 1 rep maxima for different exercises is all you really need.
    I know for certain they can test testosterone levels. There isn't really any other way 'the average Joe' could accurately test their testosterone levels (unless they just guess it but this wouldn't be accurate). I just wanted to know the other stats for general health eg such as the VO2. Basically I was eating crap for a while, was drinking excessively, barely sleeping doing very little exercise, sometimes smoking cigarettes, sometimes weed etc. I want to get my life back to being healthy again. No going out and partying, just eating well, sleeping well, having fun, being happy, getting fresh air, exercising, lifting etc. There is more to it than just getting muscle mass for me.

EDIT: Please explain why loads of people are negging me? This is a positive change in my life so i don't get why people are deciding to neg me when i am choosing a healthier lifestyle again.

ReputationRep:
    If I was your GP I'd tell you to **** off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just start watching your diet, start exercising, and stop smoking/drinking so much? There is absolutely no need to go to the doctors. Of all the fitness nuts I know (and I know a lot), I doubt any of them know what their heart rate/testosterone level is.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way a GP would do all that for you. Drs do not have all the time in the world and will not take kindly to someone simply interested when they could be helping someone with an actual illness. Go private or something

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.