Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the West Midlands and looking to study at Exeter next year. I'm state educated and don't really have an accent in comparison to lots of people round here but I was still wondering about whether the reputation of being for 'posh southerners(to put it bluntly)' is well deserved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    I'm from the West Midlands and looking to study at Exeter next year. I'm state educated and don't really have an accent in comparison to lots of people round here but I was still wondering about whether the reputation of being for 'posh southerners(to put it bluntly)' is well deserved?
    There are quite a few "posh southerners" but there's certainly many others here too! I'm from Norfolk, I have housemates and friends from the Midlands/North (actual proper north, not just north of Reading!) so you certainly wouldn't stick out. There are those who are privately educated stereotypes, but they're not the only people on campus.

ReputationRep:
    At the offer-holder day it seemed so, there was tweed in abundance!

They're perfectly nice though, and if anything it's a hallmark of an elite uni if the rahs consider it good.

ReputationRep:
    I am also from the West Midlands and I will warn you any accent you do have will be crushed out of you by force (Well that is what happened to me at Bristol)

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I'm also from the West Midlands and currently study here - I'd say that the Uni definitely has a rep for being for "rahs" - you will encounter a lot of upper middle class people with a lot of money, and international students tend to have a lot too, or so I've found. However, there is still a wide variety of people here - my housemates next year definitely don't fit in with the white/rich stereotype and one of my closest friends at Holland (the "posh" halls) is anything but posh.
    The people in general here are extremely friendly and because a lot of people tend to come from/go to London after graduating, and because I've been involved in the Exeter Tab (google if you want an insight into student news!) I've picked up a lot of London slang! But it all depends on what your personal experience is, I've found.
    If you want further insight into life as an Exeter student, check out my blog, which I do for the Uni: http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/eyesofimi/...fresher-facts/

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.