Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Sports you hate Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Darts - Especially the one that gets drummed down our throats on Sky Sports. I can't believe that darts has gained so much "respect" when to me and many others, we'd best describe a game you played in the pub to kill time. Phil Taylor, as much as I admire his world title achievements, winning a SPOTY award few years ago summed up my frustration. Darts, the PDC I think it is on Sky, seems to be a chance to get legless, wear some jokey costume, and throw up signs so you can make it on TV. The BBC darts at least has some dignity towards it, none of that fancy schmuzzle, just two guys playing darts and an audience watching on.

I don't watch Rugby although I do admire it for its physicality involved. Hate is too strong a word, I've never watched it enough to say whether I like or hate it. American Football seems to have taken the rules of rugby and jazzed it up a tad and made it a more commerically, national aware sport.

I would've said darts up until a few months ago when I started watching the PDC World championships from Alexandra Palace. I got pretty hooked on it.

ReputationRep:
    Rugby, very little skill involved compared to other sports and just isn't fun to watch..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    Rugby, very little skill involved compared to other sports and just isn't fun to watch..
    I think with Rugby Union at least it's just hard to see what's going on, there are people falling over people, falling over people, penalties for 1000 different things. It's just not very accessible to the casual viewer. I've watched quite a lot of international rugby but the scrum still baffles me. It never (read rarely) ends without a penalty for some random thing that you can't see happening. Or the binds somewhere are rubbish and it just caves in on itself. All the while the clock is still running and so potentially exciting minutes are lost on something which in actual fact is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely agreed with ouy, OP. Also there is a suggestion that it was invented by gay schoolboys who wanted to touch each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    I hate wrestling - It's not even a sport, just a bunch of 'men' jumping around in lycra and pants who can't act, tis a joke
    Of course it's not a sport, the results are pre-determined!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a big fan of darts and bowls...

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I personally don't hate any sport as I am a sportsman myself. There are sports you ask yourself "how the hell is that a sport"
    in every sport worldwide, the athletes that take part train everyday for hours, their body's get put through physical demanding routines that tests them to the limit. These athletes are at the top of their game and all have have their upmost to get where they are today. Sport brings people together, it makes relationships and a drive for success.

By the way, rugby union is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world and rugby league requires incredible levels of fitness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I'm from Leith and I can tell you that we played 15 schools with rugby teams including Langholm, Portobello, Trinity, Prestonpans and Broughton;there are rugby teams all across the Lothians. I don't know why you said Edinburgh is the only place big on rugby, especially when that is not true at all and since you said that only private schools play rugby. You're either trolling or in denial, or you've just never noticed rugby is played everywhere in Scotland.
    OK, Edinburgh, Midlothian & East Lothian - which is all the same thing really. You'll maybe get pretentious folk from places like Perth and Aberdeen playing a little bit as well. Throughout much of Scotland rugby is unpopular - I thought everybody knew this. Just because its popular amongst you middle class Edinburgh folk, doesn't mean its popular amongst the rest of us, because it certainly isn't.

I'm sure I read somewhere that more people in Scotland play cricket than rugby. How embarrassing for your complete non-entity of a sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StefanPope)
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I personally don't hate any sport as I am a sportsman myself. There are sports you ask yourself "how the hell is that a sport"
    in every sport worldwide, the athletes that take part train everyday for hours, their body's get put through physical demanding routines that tests them to the limit. These athletes are at the top of their game and all have have their upmost to get where they are today. Sport brings people together, it makes relationships and a drive for success.

By the way, rugby union is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world and rugby league requires incredible levels of fitness
    The fitness for league thing is definitely true, just getting onside after every tackle used to have me blowing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ritter)
    OK, Edinburgh, Midlothian & East Lothian - which is all the same thing really. You'll maybe get pretentious folk from places like Perth and Aberdeen playing a little bit as well. Throughout much of Scotland rugby is unpopular - I thought everybody knew this. Just because its popular amongst you middle class Edinburgh folk, doesn't mean its popular amongst the rest of us, because it certainly isn't.

I'm sure I read somewhere that more people in Scotland play cricket than rugby. How embarrassing for your complete non-entity of a sport.
    I'm not middle class, I went to Leith Academy. And I think you're definitely trolling now if you're insinuating that cricket is more popular in Scotland than rugby.

ReputationRep:
    We all know why OP is posting this, be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)

:mmm: And the fact that he he's only watched two games of Rugby, he clearly has a strong grasp of teh game having watched two whole games. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I'm not middle class, I went to Leith Academy. And I think you're definitely trolling now if you're insinuating that cricket is more popular in Scotland than rugby.
    I read somewhere years ago that the number of people participating in cricket had overtaken the number of people playing rugby. This may not be true, but there's an article out there somewhere.

Anyway, I'm not the one who suggested 'most public schools in scotland have rugby teams' or some other similar nonsense. I mean, can you imagine Clydebank High School, or Airdrie Academy having rugby teams? *laughing smilie*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)

Sorry mate, but I've already said I ain't English.

ReputationRep:
    definately cricket, golf and rugby.
    my favesss to watch are tennis and football!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the biggest fan of netball but I certainly don't hate it. I'm not too keen on sports where opinion decides the winner like figure skating either. Having said that, I'll happily watch figure skating because what they do is phenomenal. It can be top quality entertainment.

In short, there are no sports I hate and I will happily watch any sport because there is something captivating about watching people give their all, regardless of their chosen sport.

ReputationRep:
    all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ritter)
    Rugby for me.

A vile thuggish 'sport' played by middle class thugs, who are complete piss-take merchants.

Thank **** the 6 nations is over, now pubs will go back to normal and everyone will be there to watch football.
    I love how you refer to football as being the better option of the two, football is a pansie sport played by proffessional actors who are trained to dive, rugby is a sport played by all classes and has the most respect for everyone than any other sport out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie232)
    Rugby league is soft.
    That's possibly the most incredible post i've read on here. I look forward to the day any union player can make the grade at a league club, doubt it will happen in my life time mind.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like killing rhinos for sport

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.