Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

So my problem is basically this:
    When I came to uni in October, I instantly bonded with a girl in my flat, let’s call her Amy. She’s a lovely person, we like a lot of the same things, and just have a good laugh together. I would actually call her my best friend now.
    The two of us become friends with a guy in our flat, let’s call him Matt, although Amy was closer to him from the start. But towards the end of the first term/the start of the second term I became a lot closer to him. He helped me with some personal problems, and we just really connected. I realised I quite liked him.
    Now we’ve broken up for Easter and my relationship with Matt has progressed so much. We can talk just talk for so long about anything, we have loads of little jokes and just get on so well, and I’m so happy he actually cares about me. We’re even texting/Facebook messaging a bit from our homes at the moment.
    The problem is, I think Amy quite likes him too. I’ve asked lots of times and she denies it, but her friends say she does and it’s just obvious by the way she is around him. She has remained close to him throughout the year, and is very protective of him, always a bit reluctant to let others (girls) spend time with him. Don’t get me wrong, I love her, and we get on very well as a three, but I don’t think she would be happy at all if I told her I had feelings for Matt. She even said she didn’t think Matt and I would work together.
    But I’m getting so close to him, and really feel there’s a chance he could feel the same way, and I want to tell him so badly. But he could easily feel that way about her, I just don’t know. And I really don’t want to hurt Amy but this is turning into some kind of competition! What do I do?
    Sorry about the essay, any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. Imagine how you'd feel if she told him first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So my problem is basically this:
    When I came to uni in October, I instantly bonded with a girl in my flat, let’s call her Amy. She’s a lovely person, we like a lot of the same things, and just have a good laugh together. I would actually call her my best friend now.
    The two of us become friends with a guy in our flat, let’s call him Matt, although Amy was closer to him from the start. But towards the end of the first term/the start of the second term I became a lot closer to him. He helped me with some personal problems, and we just really connected. I realised I quite liked him.
    Now we’ve broken up for Easter and my relationship with Matt has progressed so much. We can talk just talk for so long about anything, we have loads of little jokes and just get on so well, and I’m so happy he actually cares about me. We’re even texting/Facebook messaging a bit from our homes at the moment.
    The problem is, I think Amy quite likes him too. I’ve asked lots of times and she denies it, but her friends say she does and it’s just obvious by the way she is around him. She has remained close to him throughout the year, and is very protective of him, always a bit reluctant to let others (girls) spend time with him. Don’t get me wrong, I love her, and we get on very well as a three, but I don’t think she would be happy at all if I told her I had feelings for Matt. She even said she didn’t think Matt and I would work together.
    But I’m getting so close to him, and really feel there’s a chance he could feel the same way, and I want to tell him so badly. But he could easily feel that way about her, I just don’t know. And I really don’t want to hurt Amy but this is turning into some kind of competition! What do I do?
    Sorry about the essay, any help would be greatly appreciated
    I suggest threesome. He'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    Love isn't fair, I'd tell him first before she does.

Thanks for the advice guys
    I really am considering telling him, I guess I'm just scared he'll say he doesn't feel the same. Then what? Is it possible for us to go back to being close friends, or will it be ruined?
    I'm thinking about asking another flatmate his opinion, like does he think Matt would feel the same or would he be better suited to Amy?
    Also I forgot to mention, there's another guy on the scene for Amy. He texts her quite a bit, and she goes round his to watch films, which is a good sign. And the whole flat reckons he fancies her. I'm just praying she goes for him and not Matt!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.