Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Is the Duke of Ed award needed for dentistry? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing the Duke of Ed award but I am not certain if it is needed or if employers really care if you have it or not. I am currently pondering going down the dentistry/orthodontic career path and yes I am doing the GCSE's needed for it. I'm already doing things that go towards the awards skills and physical section because of music lessons and attending a gym regularly but if I did do the award I would have to take three hours out of my wednesday night for volunteering and going to the place that runs the DOE award and I'm not sure if it is at all worth going to and potentially not having sufficient time to complete homeworks and revision for exams. Right now I have three tests tomorrow that I don't have time to learn in full becuase I'm going tonight. I'm only going to do bronze because it would take up too much time for silver so is it even worth doing it?

ReputationRep:
    Is it needed? No.
    Does it look good on a CV/UCAS application - probably.

Having done Bronze and Silver myself I do look favourably on those who have done it themselves, even just bronze.

ReputationRep:
    It might look good on your application, but you dont actually need it or anything.
    If you want to- then go for it, but dont let it affect your studies.
    A girl i went to 6th form with went on to do dentisrty at bristol, and she hadnt done the duke of ed.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't need it for dentistry but it would definitely look good on your personal statement

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    You don't need it for anything.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to these guys, when I had one of my dentistry interviews, the guy was like "well, I think I am ready to make you an offer, first I need to confirm you have a Duke of Ed award". I said no, he then looked at me in shock, before laughing, thinking I was joking. I was rejected. It is needed!

ReputationRep:
    you don't need it but it will strenghten up your application as it will improve your communication, leadership, and team work skills - all of which are vital for dentistry so i would recommend that you do take the award - if you can, try take the silver award as universites will prefer this to the bronze award as the know the difficulty varies vastly! i also think the silver award is much more enjoyable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheldorbaggins)
    I am considering doing the Duke of Ed award but I am not certain if it is needed or if employers really care if you have it or not. I am currently pondering going down the dentistry/orthodontic career path and yes I am doing the GCSE's needed for it. I'm already doing things that go towards the awards skills and physical section because of music lessons and attending a gym regularly but if I did do the award I would have to take three hours out of my wednesday night for volunteering and going to the place that runs the DOE award and I'm not sure if it is at all worth going to and potentially not having sufficient time to complete homeworks and revision for exams. Right now I have three tests tomorrow that I don't have time to learn in full becuase I'm going tonight. I'm only going to do bronze because it would take up too much time for silver so is it even worth doing it?
    It's not needed. For the Duke of Edinburgh Award you only need an average of one hour of volunteering per week too - so you could do one hour per week, two hours per fortnight or three hours every three weeks. You don't need to do three hours every week.

Make sure extra-circulars don't hinder your exam results, although they are very important for medicine/dentistry,

However, what is more important is that you really want to become a dentist. To find this out, you need to do work experience. I had my heart set on being a dentist and thought I'd really enjoy it, but after attending a weekly work experience placement I found the work to be mundane and lacking in fulfilment. I also felt I couldn't be in a room with the same dental nurse all day. Remember, I wanted to be a dentist more than anyone I know. I actually had an obsession over it. I'm more captivated by medicine, now, which was still on the cards when I wanted to be a dentist. I'm going to a hospital for work experience to see what it's like, just to make sure I want to follow that career path.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for dentistry and I haven't done it, most admissions people I talk to aren't that overwhelmed by it!
    However you need to do things that will make you stand out from every other applicant

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.