The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It may be a bit late now, as most AS applications have closed, but i am not sure if that applies to students already attending college. The medical schools i have looked at don't really seem to care about further maths, and (in my opinion only) Biology is always better for medicine. Perhaps you could just take it up as an AS level this September, and talk to your college about work experience. Places like chemists and retirement homes are great places to get experience.
However, i think regardless of Biology or not, you'd have a good university application with the qualifications you're already getting.
Good Luck :smile:
Original post by prolapse
i hate it when people jumping on the bandwagon so late get offers over people that have wanted to do it since high school/early primary school.

you really like making people feel hopeful about their dreams do you not?
Reply 22
I didn't have biology but I still received 2 offers for Medicine this year. It's not that important though you have to be careful about where you apply. For example, Oxbridge doesn't officially require biology at A level but they hardly interview those without. (that's what I read on the Oxford website)
Original post by chromni
I didn't have biology but I still received 2 offers for Medicine this year. It's not that important though you have to be careful about where you apply. For example, Oxbridge doesn't officially require biology at A level but they hardly interview those without. (that's what I read on the Oxford website)

Oxford don't in any way avoid interviewing people without biology; they select interviewees purely on BMAT performance. It's just that people who haven't done biology perform, on average, worse on the BMAT.
Reply 24
Original post by Leen!
It's a bit like considering History without History... :smile:
It would have been better off to take Biology.

How is it? Chemistry is the main A-level required for Medicine, not Biology.
Reply 25
Original post by Ronove
How is it? Chemistry is the main A-level required for Medicine, not Biology.

Yes, it is. However, Biology goes along with it.:smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Leen!
Yes, it is. However, Biology goes along with it.:smile:

If you want to apply to universities which require it, yes. I still wouldn't say it was like applying for History without A-level History.
Reply 27
Original post by Ronove
If you want to apply to universities which require it, yes. I still wouldn't say it was like applying for History without A-level History.

It's still better off to take A-level Biology, as well. Let's say it's kind of a plus for some medical schools!:smile:
However, as you said, it depends on where you apply and how fierce the competiton for places in the MBChB program is.:wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Leen!
It's still better off to take A-level Biology, as well. Let's say it's kind of a plus for some medical schools!:smile:
However, as you said, it depends on where you apply and how fierce the competiton for places in the MBChB program is.:wink:

I don't think you can say that the competition is relevant here. If a med school wants Biology, they want Biology, and state as much. They're not going to favour applicants with Biology if they don't require it, unless they explicitly state that on their website.
Reply 29
I'm not doing biology and I love Manchester uni and luckily they don't require biology. Leeds, Sheffield and I think all Scottish universities don't require biology either. And I'm sure there were a few other that didn't require biology but just double check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Oh and Bristol want chemistry, 1 from (bio,maths and physics) and another lab based science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some med schools may be abit funny if you take maths+further maths at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
its ****ing difficult. im currently trying to resist every desire to poke my eyes out with this pen right now. i WISH i did biology.. atleast AS! people will always have an advantage over you. i thought it would be just in the start of sem 1.. no, i have felt it all through the year.
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
I'm doing medicine and did not do biology. Just apply to med schools that don't ask for it - with the exception of Oxbridge they don't seem to ask science-related questions at interview. If you want to apply to Oxbridge, grab a few biology textbooks (I recommend the thin Alberts book and the thick IB Biology one) and start reading; that will be a fun summer.

where do you go ? or if too personal, where specifically do this?

Latest

Trending

Trending