Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Simple Powers/Logarithm Finding solutions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, well I've always struggled for one reason or the other with powers/logarithms, I've never truly understood all the rules involved.

Essentially I've boiled a long arse problem down to this, for which I need to find the solutions:

2^n + n  2^n = 4^n

I'm told the solutions are 0 and 1, but truly have no idea how to solve it. I try logs but I get lost and don't really know what I'm doing. Help much appreciated!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Factorise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Factorise.
    2^n + n  2^n - 4^n = 0

4^n = 2^{2n} = (2^n)^2

2^n + n  2^n - (2^n)^2 = 0

2^n (1 + n + 2^n) = 0

From there I'm a little lost, 2^n = 0 has no roots. Not sure what do with  (1 + n + 2^n) = 0 .

Also not entirely sure how what rule I'm using to go from 4^n to 2^2n, I know it works because I've tested it, but it was more through trial and error that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndroidLight)
    I did read that before you deleted and you correctly discovered that the problem reduces to:

2^n=n+1

You could have divided by 2^n as you realised that it cannot equal zero but I didn't want to encourage division without thought.

There is no nice way of solving this now.

The best approach is to sketch y=2^x and y=x+1 and realise there must be 2 solutions. One is immediately obvious and the second is trivial to find.

Edit: You have some sign issues.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, that makes good sense. I'll make a note of the drawing graph method as that'll sure come in handy too. I got the intersections as 0 and 1, which is what I'm looking for. I still have way too much a tendency too jump into logs but hopefully that'll come with experience.

Cheers again, much appreciated.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndroidLight)
    Cheers, that makes good sense. I'll make a note of the drawing graph method as that'll sure come in handy too. I got the intersections as 0 and 1, which is what I'm looking for. I still have way too much a tendency too jump into logs but hopefully that'll come with experience.

Cheers again, much appreciated.
    You are welcome.

This sort of equation cannot be solved with logs. It leads to something horrible called the Lambert W function.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.