Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do people put places down on their UCAS form that they don't even want to go to, and would never consider going to???
    Please tell me- I'm baffled!!!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    Why do people put places down on their UCAS form that they don't even want to go to, and would never consider going to???

xxxx
    Because they want to fill up their choices?

ReputationRep:

xxxx
    Just in case they don't get accepted to the unis they want to go to. I put down UWE and Cardiff on my form even though I don't want to go to either. But atleast if my first choice unis hadn't offered me a place I'd still have somewhere to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Just in case they don't get accepted to the unis they want to go to. I put down UWE and Cardiff on my form even though I don't want to go to either. But atleast if my first choice unis hadn't offered me a place I'd still have somewhere to go.
    oh, ok....
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    oh, ok....
    :confused:
    Didn't you put a couple on there that you didn't really want to go to but just as a back up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Didn't you put a couple on there that you didn't really want to go to but just as a back up?
    no, i only put unis down that i would actually consider going to...i suppose i did my cutting down process before i applied rather than from the shortlist of 6....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Back in the dark ages I chose my choices in a really stupid way. Went on a summer school week to Cardiff (loved the uni hated the engineering subject matter) so looking through the Cardiff prospectus I spotted Environmental Geoscience and thought it sounded wonderful (and who wouldn't: http://www.cf.ac.uk/courses/undergra...hsciences.html )

So I looked through the UCAs big book and found 6 universities offering a course titled Environmental Geoscience and put all 6 down as my choices without any further though (the turned out to be Bristol, Cardiff, Durham, Edinburgh, Royal Holloway and Sheffield).

Sheffield got discounted because the course was taught in the geography department :confused: (although they made me an offer of CCC)

Durham got discounted because I absolutely loathed the place when I went up for interview (although again they made me a CCC offer)

Bristol got discounted because (now this makes me ashamed of my 17 yr old self) the doors to the geology dept were big and showy, and the cafe next door while nice was a rip off (again an 18 point offer).

Cardiff I still loved but had a not very nice time on my trip down there so they got relegated to third place (another CCC offer).

Edinburgh I loved the city but found the uni a bit ~...but for some reason still picked it as my insurance (again 18 points)

Royal Holloway I picked as my firm choice because I visited the day after Durham and had a nice day out (cringing again at the person I was at 17 - was I really that shallow) another CCC offer...I got BCD (and A in GS) and got in without any problems.

And then of course I got to RHUL and hated the place and realised that I should never have chosen a university based on the way the day went when I visited so transferred to start again on a straight Geology degree in Soton (which I didn't visit once before arriving in freshers week). Oddly enough the best choice I ever made was the one I made without referring to prospectuses or open days or interviews :cool:
    suppose different things work for different people....

ReputationRep:

xxxx
    I did it, I only had one choice i actually wanted, so made up 4 more... didn't even bother chooing the full 6. Got accepted to everyone, and then just put a firm choice on Pompey, as thats where I wanted to go - if I didn't make it I'd just go thru clearing to get in.

Everything worked out well and I didnt have to spend ages going to open days and stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    I ended up choosing random places so I had a nice mix of offers (two offering 24 points, two offering 22, and two offering 18) so I could then choose the insurance based on my later results, and which places made me offers. I already had my heart set on Leeds, but I didn't want to waste th opportunity to have 6 options!

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted in all of them as well

1st choice - Salford

2nd choice - Salford
    Computer Science - (240) - Accepted

3rd choice multimedia computing (160) - Manchester Met - Accepted

The rest were all at Bolton insitute, I had decided if I didn't get into Salford or the Met there was little point in going ot Bolton. I got offers from all the courses at Bolton including computer games design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I got accepted in all of them as well

1st choice - Salford

2nd choice - Salford
    Computer Science - (240) - Accepted

3rd choice multimedia computing (160) - Manchester Met - Accepted

The rest were all at Bolton insitute, I had decided if I didn't get into Salford or the Met there was little point in going ot Bolton. I got offers from all the courses at Bolton including computer games design.
    i only applied to 3 unis- as i want to stay close to home and those were the closest three that did my subject!
    Warwick, birmingham and aston....
    got unconditional offers from Birmingham and Aston and a conditional offer from Warwick- get an A in A level psychology (which i am doing purely out of interest on my gap year) chose birmingham as i didn't want the pressure of exams this year- i will do them and hopefully get an A but if i dont' it does'nt matter!! Also, warwick's course was not really any different to Birmingham and i really liked birmingham...i am happy

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Back in the dark ages I chose my choices in a really stupid way. Went on a summer school week to Cardiff (loved the uni hated the engineering subject matter) so looking through the Cardiff prospectus I spotted Environmental Geoscience and thought it sounded wonderful (and who wouldn't: http://www.cf.ac.uk/courses/undergra...hsciences.html )

I should never have chosen a university based on the way the day went when I visited so transferred to start again on a straight Geology degree in Soton (which I didn't visit once before arriving in freshers week). Oddly enough the best choice I ever made was the one I made without referring to prospectuses or open days or interviews :cool:
    I was considering environmental geoscience at one point (since I did A level Geography, Chemistry and Physics) but then I realised I loved Human geography A LOT more than Physical and I found Town Planning was better for me.

If you don't make a decision based on prospectuses, open days or interviews, what DO you make a decision based on? Just curious as I also considered Cardiff, and it's most likely where i'll go in September.

As for the choices thing, i didn't see the point in making 6 choices when there weren't 6 universities that I would have seriously considered going to; I made 4 choices.

ReputationRep:
    When I selected which courses I applied for I'd already been fussing over the London Institute (I'm still unsure as to how I got to them...) because the prospectus was a book. Like a REAL book. (Shallow I know) and then on the open day I was impressed by the facilities.

Bournemouth I picked because the year before that was the one I was going to apply to.

South Bank, my friend was there and it was over the road from the London Institute, so if I didn't get accepted I could just look at it all day.

Middlesex to piss off my sister because she was supposed to go there and ended up getting a job instead. Just to rub it in.

Southampton.....one word...Shakeaway (PQ you understand doncha!)

Surrey.....I don't know why...I wasn't impressed by the website and the place was horrible

ReputationRep:
    When people apply they are often quite naive to the whole uni process and what to look for in a uni, or they dont get change to visit before applying and have only the prospectus to go on.

I did that for 3 of mine, which i dont want to go to cus i was disappointed after the open day.

ReputationRep:
    I went to all the open days etc except Bournemouth who rejected me and Southampton because I just didn't want to go there.
    I found out it was one of the ten worst Uni's in the country...which is funny when they were the only ones to give me a Conditional as opposed to Unconditional

ReputationRep:
    in retrospect i expect i picked a lot of mine for the wrong reasons...

Oxford, well, i picked it just because it was Oxford! i went to the interview and completely hated it (way too stuffy for me) so i was kinda relieved when i didn't get in (if i'd have got in i'd probably have felt a compulsion to go just because it was oxford :rolleyes: )

st andrews, i chose because it had a good rated course and seemed a nice place.

bath, i picked for the goodcourse and the placement year. hopefullyif i get the grades (AAAB) i'll be off here next year.

edinburgh, i love the city, but the course just wasn't that good.

newcastle, i picked it because all my mates reckoned it was a great city for nightlife etc but when i went to visit i just thought it was a bit *****y to be honest!

durham, this is my insurance choice and i still really don't know why. when i think of ending up here it makes me reach for my books
    and study so i don't end up not getting in bath

so, yup, i guess you could say i'm one of those annoying people who doesn't think about their choices enough. if i could apply again my choices would be completely different: probly warwick, nottingham, exeter,reading, manchester and i'd probably just keep bath the same.

ReputationRep:
    A guy in my history class just applied for six random courses at Manchester Uni without even knowing what some of them were. I think he got rejected for all of them except some planning and lanscape thing that he doesn't really want to do.

ReputationRep:
    I think I was alright with most of my choices.

Birmingham - biggest city apart from London, good rep generally.
    Cambridge - my AS grades were good, so I thought I'd apply.
    Durham - good reputation (though not really for Comp Sci).. though when I went there, I hated it.
    Exeter - applied there as a backup, their Internet Computing course sounded cool.. though it didn't have a year abroad.
    Leicester - another backup choice.
    Sussex - dunno why I applied there really, probably cos they gave lowish offers (BBB, same as Bham). Nice uni though.

Got offers from all, except Cam, but wasn't too bothered about that really. The courses were pretty much the same everywhere, so I couldn't really use that to decide. I picked Durham as my firm (before I visited the place), cos they wanted AAB and it was out of Bham or Sussex for insurance. I chose Birmingham cos of the big city thing.

There was sound reasoning behind most of mine...

Durham - I thought it was very pretty and several friends encouraged me to apply tothe place.
    UEA - Actually loved the place and still do, I went to a pre-application open day and thought it was great (if a little concrete-y).
    Loughborough - I already know the uni quite well and I like the industrial placement programme.
    Manchester - Great uni, even better comp sci department (they do constantly remind you of this though).
    Notts - This one was there because of the reputation and it was one of the few that I had visited by November.
    Newcastle - Nightlife is awesome and the uni is decent.

I tried doing the 2 great uni's, 2 realistic ones and 2 emergency ones but I ended up applying to places that I actually liked instead. Of my 6, I think I would be happy at any of them except Durham.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.