Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    Yes, but I got taught that two lone pairs = bent, 1 lone pair = pyramidal, no lone pairs = tetrahedral... I know that's for 4 areas of electron density, and ozone is triatomic like you say, so surely it wouldn't be bent- it'd be something different that applies to 3 areas of electron density.
    I see what you mean. What do you think it should be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    I'd say it's bent purely because in the advanced notice it says it has a similar shape to a molecule of water so I'm assuming that it's somehow because of the double bond between 2 of the Os... that's as far as I've got though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejoakham)
    I'd say it's bent purely because in the advanced notice it says it has a similar shape to a molecule of water so I'm assuming that it's somehow because of the double bond between 2 of the Os... that's as far as I've got though
    It is bent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    We were given some exam style questions on the advance notice:

and here are the answers
    Hope this helps anyone
    thanks, you just made my revision much easier!:ahee::banana2::badger:

ReputationRep:
    We haven't gone through the pre-release yet... we haven't even finished polymer revolution. Does anyone else have difficulty completing a WHOLE past paper due to the fact they haven't had the chance to study the pre-release for that specific paper. It's really putting me off revising
    Same here! i feel so lost and i also don't think my chemistry teacher will go through advance notice either
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Yes, but I got taught that two lone pairs = bent, 1 lone pair = pyramidal, no lone pairs = tetrahedral... I know that's for 4 areas of electron density, and ozone is triatomic like you say, so surely it wouldn't be bent- it'd be something different that applies to 3 areas of electron density.
    If there are three regions of electron density around the central atom and one of those regions is a lone pair, you get a bent shape. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    does anyone also make notes/ annotate for advance notice? and if they do, could you please share with me because i feel like highlighting everything right now and i'm a bit stuck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hilz14)
    thanks, you just made my revision much easier!:ahee::banana2::badger:
    It's okay

we have summary sheets for each topic but the files are too big to upload :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    Apparently it is bent! I didn't get taught what happens with three areas of electron density and a double bond, but apparently that corresponds to a bent shape. Sorry if I confused you, but what I was saying seemed to make sense to me at first!

Same here! i feel so lost and i also don't think my chemistry teacher will go through advance notice either
    It says on the front that we should be issued it at least 4 weeks before, so I suppose we should give them a little more time!

ReputationRep:
    SAME! :mad: We have finished all of our lessons completely but our teachers have failed to even mention reflux and have not gone through the pre-relesae! Whaaa!?:confused:

If anyone would like to explain to me about what refulx is and where we use, that would be really helpful ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madrevision)
    I uploaded that, it's homework for easter so I should have the answers by Friday, I will upload the answers ASAP after I get them
    Hey Thank you so much for uploading them; they're super helpful! Could you maybe upload them sorta soonish please?? (and sorry if I'm just being thick and not seeing them if you have already :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyimaturtle)
    SAME! :mad: We have finished all of our lessons completely but our teachers have failed to even mention reflux and have not gone through the pre-relesae! Whaaa!?:confused:

If anyone would like to explain to me about what refulx is and where we use, that would be really helpful ??
    Its literally just heating with a condenser on so volatile reactants won't be lost

ReputationRep:
    YUPPP same here! i dont even know how my teacher expects good grades tbh

if you've got a cgp chemistry book read that because it really explains it well. but anyway, it is heating volatile reactants in a vertical pear shaped flask with a condenser so they do not escape. it is also a very slow process. anti bumping granules are in there to let the mixture boil smoothly and prevent shaking.

ReputationRep:
    YUPPP same here! i dont even know how my teacher expects good grades tbh

if you've got a cgp chemistry book read that because it really explains it well. but anyway, it is heating volatile reactants in a vertical pear shaped flask with a condenser so they do not escape. it is also a very slow process. anti bumping granules are in there to let the mixture boil smoothly and prevent shaking.
    Also no refux for me:lolwut:. What is it about Chemistry teachers that decide to leave gaps in our knowledge when sending us into our exam?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Also no refux for me:lolwut:. What is it about Chemistry teachers that decide to leave gaps in our knowledge when sending us into our exam?:eek:
    We've missed out quite a bit too, thank goodness for 'Niel's notes'

ReputationRep:
    We've missed out quite a bit too, thank goodness for 'Niel's notes'
    Neil's notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Neil's notes?
    Notes that a member of staff at my college made, covers everything with diagrams etc

the files are too big to upload though

ReputationRep:
    Hey Thank you so much for uploading them; they're super helpful! Could you maybe upload them sorta soonish please?? (and sorry if I'm just being thick and not seeing them if you have already :P)
    My teacher did not hand out a mark scheme because it was more beneficial to go through it with the whole class than just give us a bit of paper. The problem right now is that I don't have my chemistry folder it's in my locker in college so.... Monday ???? is there a particular question you want answers for ?

ReputationRep:
    Notes that a member of staff at my college made, covers everything with diagrams etc

the files are too big to upload though
    would you not be able to copy and paste them on word and basically separate them into say 3 word documents?

ReputationRep:
    So does anyone else find this advance notice for us extremely boring ?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.