Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

coping techniques for stress? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm like, teetering on the edge of some kind of meltdown.

I'll give you the full story, you don't have to read it!

I'm taking 10 GCSEs in the summer (I know, like everyone else, I'm aware I'm not special.) But I'm also in the process of moving house. I've honestly never felt so stressed in my life. I'm supposed to be revising already but the house won't be done until late april. I can't get away, all I EVER hear is drilling, hammering, hoovering, I'm getting called down from my room to lift a sofa or a box or whatever. I've reached out to my mum but she just accuses me of being selfish, that "this is what the family has dreamed of" and all that poop, she doesn't care about me revising, let alone about the stress it's putting me under.

The workload is driving me insane, and I know it does this for everyone, but I was dumb with my options and picked so many subjects I struggle with and require a lot of your free time (art, drama and music mostly.)

I'm starting to have panic attacks, getting the shortness of breath and my heart racing and everything. I feel constantly exhausted no matter how much sleep I get. Every second I try to 'relax' I'm twitching, thinking about every single second I'm wasting when I should be doing my art project, learning my lines, doing maths papers, etc...

I'm an anxious person by nature and this all piled on top is making me crazy. I don't want to turn this into a sob story, but I lost my uncle, whom I was very close to, to suicide last month, and that's making me feel even worse. I'm not a talker; I've been programmed to keep to myself and everyone thinks I'm just fine. But in fact, I spend most of my life wanting to scream. I thought I'd beaten my depression but it's looming over me and I know it's coming back due to all the worrying. I feel completely trapped in my life, drowning in papers and pressure and stress and misery!

This was quite melodramatic, but I really don't know where else to turn.
    What coping strategies do you guys have to deal with all the stuff life throws at you? I could really do with some advice.

ReputationRep:
    I can' t really suggest anything for most of your problems, but whenever workload gets on top of you, make a list of stuff you need to do, decide which order they go in and do them one by one. I found this really useful, massive tasks are never as bad if you break them into smaller tasks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Buy a Vitamin B-Complex supplement. I use one by a company called Swanson. The stuff is incredible although it'll make your urine yellow (excess vitamin being excreted from the body)

ReputationRep:
    Wait until alevel. Sorry for the unhelpful comment but for gcse's if you've at least taken the initiative to revise you should do well, I'd get headphones and lock your door perhaps. GCSEs are not the end of the world, A-levels are what matter, and by then all this crap should be done. For now, perhaps visit a local libary and do some revision there, so your mum can't bother you and you have some peace and quiet.
    As for the deaths, commiserations, do not fall into depression again as its perhaps one of hte most demotivating states you could ever be in, think positive and keep on track
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Does your school have a support department? I have similar anxiety issues to you, and they've helped a huge amount. To be honest, I don't know how I'd cope without them.

I know how horrible it is for you at the moment. I'm really sorry about it, and I hope you manage to get through it as smoothly as possible. As I said, if your school has a support department, get in contact with them and see if there's anything they can do to help. They might be able to provide you with special exam arrangements to ease the stress, like giving you a separate room.

ReputationRep:
    If you make a timetable from now till your exams that includes all the work you feel you need to do (e.g maths papers) then you will have a good idea of how much revision you need to do and how far behind you are. Making timetables/lists will help keep you on track and make you less anxious.

Another tip is to find a space to do the work, if you feel that you can't find any at home then try going to a nearby library, possibly one in school where you could stay after-school some days. If you still feel that this isn't enough you could try talking to a teacher at school, possibly your form tutor if you have one. They may be able to help you arrange some form of revision that will be suitable for you. Good luck! Oh, and remember, to also find some time to relax and clear your head, that will also help you feel less anxious.

ReputationRep:
    I was just the same throughout a levels and GCSEs so you're not alone!

Go somewhere else to revise, maybe school or a library or something? Also, you NEED to take breaks! I know how hard it can be and you constantly feel like you should be working but if you work all the time you will burn out and your depression will get worse. I went to a stress class thingy and they said that people with depression partly haven't got the work-play balance right in their lives.
    What you need is something to take your mind off of your work for a while. If you burn out you will do so much worse in your exams than if you just relax. Maybe do one hour revision and then a 15-20 minute break where you can grab some lunch, go for a walk, talk to a friend or meet up with some people (obviously for a bigger break but I know you so desperately need it!) I had panic attacks too. Me and my family were on holiday in Australia and everywhere I went I took my books. Those things did not leave my side the whole time. I even only went in the pool once and only for a few minutes because I 'needed to study'
    It made me feel physically sick and shake all the time. It's the effect that a lot of stress has on you.
    If you feel really bad, I got told to take deep breaths. Breathe in for 10secs, hold for 10secs and breathe out for 10secs. It really helps.
    I'm doing my uni coursework at the moment and I started to feel the same so what am I doing now? I'm taking a break and watching some tv with my friends. I know that in half an hour I can go back and attempt the coursework again and I'll get there, just like you will! Don't do what I did on holiday! Not only did I waste so many amazing opportunities and lots of money but I went from predictions of A*A*AA to A*BBC (I got BBC in those modules). My teacher could just tell my head was not in the right place to have done well. (I did okay in the end and came out with A*AAA but you see my point)
    I really hope what I've said helps, feel free to pm me x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.