Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is studying Chemistry wise with a grade D at A level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey all,

I am thinking about applying to Fdsc Chemistry at Nottingham Trent, I have the grade requirements but I'm just wondering am I academically capable to see out an entire Bsc/Mchem degree i.e. after completion of Fdsc?

Is this a good course (the Fdsc) and will it stand me in good stead for the future?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The student_)
    hey all,

I am thinking about applying to Fdsc Chemistry at Nottingham Trent, I have the grade requirements but I'm just wondering am I academically capable to see out an entire Bsc/Mchem degree i.e. after completion of Fdsc?

Is this a good course (the Fdsc) and will it stand me in good stead for the future?

Thanks
    I don't know much about those kinds of course but a foundation type course (which I think is what you mean) will definitely help you get your knowledge up to speed-after you do that there's no reason why you couldn't go on to do a BSc/MChem.

ReputationRep:
    hey all,

Thanks
    It is a massive step up from A-level. If you thought that GCSE to A-level was hard, this is off the scale. Do have a serious think about it given that degrees now cost an arm and a leg.

ReputationRep:
    Only you can answer this. How much did you try with your A level? Being honest with yourself, could you have done better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanFoley)
    Only you can answer this. How much did you try with your A level? Being honest with yourself, could you have done better?
    In all honesty I was very lazy at A level, I think I could have got a C with some effort.

I know this is something that only I can truly answer but I just would like some outside perspective on the situation

ReputationRep:
    I got a B and struggled with Chemistry at degree level

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I was very lazy at A level, I think I could have got a C with some effort.

I know this is something that only I can truly answer but I just would like some outside perspective on the situation
    If it would take real effort to get a C perhaps a degree in it isn't for you?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, unless you are really passionate and relentless in pursuing a career involving chemistry, you should not even take chemistry at A'Level or equivalent with anything less than a B/C at GCSE/GCE. And for university degree courses in chemistry, you should not even consider it unless you can secure at least a A/B.

Think of university degree course as like a speciality; you gotta be really good to do well and not struggle your way through. Moreover, pure chemistry courses in university consists of lots of physics and math; which if you are good with both, you can perhaps ace 2/3 of pure chemistry courses.

ReputationRep:
    A level means nothing, if you love something you will work hard and get a good degree mark

My friend got a C in chem Alevel and a first in her degree, people peak at different times

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    If it would take real effort to get a C perhaps a degree in it isn't for you?
    I said SOME effort, with a real effort I think a B would have been most probable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    In my opinion, unless you are really passionate and relentless in pursuing a career involving chemistry, you should not even take chemistry at A'Level or equivalent with anything less than a B/C at GCSE/GCE. And for university degree courses in chemistry, you should not even consider it unless you can secure at least a A/B.

Think of university degree course as like a speciality; you gotta be really good to do well and not struggle your way through. Moreover, pure chemistry courses in university consists of lots of physics and math; which if you are good with both, you can perhaps ace 2/3 of pure chemistry courses.
    Bear in mind that I am talking about a foundation course, but maths is not a subject I ever had an issue with.

ReputationRep:
    I came to uni with no experience in chemistry at all, did a foundation in it and am generally getting 60-70% + in first year and im very lazy, so you should be fine seeing its just a foundation.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.