Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

For or against nuclear power? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    How much can they store?
    Are we sure it's safe? Much of the waste is still radioactive. (...)
    And the waste maintain radioactivity for a long time, as the waste consists of plutonium and/or uranium to name but a few which have high half periods. Your question is fair, because even if there is much place in salt deposits, it get lesser from time to time and then we have no possibilities to store them anytime anymore. That's why people need alternatives as soon as possible in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    But if these countries 'pull a chernobyl' it will have severe consequences for many other nations, not just the one that caused the accident.

In addition to this, nuclear power stations in unstable regions could be at the mercy of terrorist organizations. Spent fuel can also be reprocessed into plutonium, usable in nuclear weapons.

Even without the need for disasters or terrorists, some studies (I've linked above) have noted a link between reactor sites and leukemia hot spots. How sure are we that nuclear power stations are safe during normal use?

I may sound like I'm anti-nuclear power, but I'm not sure at the moment. There's a lot of anti-nuclear arguments that aren't being brought up.
    wrt leukemia, there's no evidence of causality. The 14th COMARE report found there was no difference between leukemia rates at sites with nuclear power plant and sites considered for nuclear power plant but where no power plant was built.
    Maybe there's something about the type of place we like to build npp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    wrt leukemia, there's no evidence of causality. The 14th COMARE report found there was no difference between leukemia rates at sites with nuclear power plant and sites considered for nuclear power plant but where no power plant was built.
    Maybe there's something about the type of place we like to build npp?
    I've not read that report, but I've read a couple of papers which seem to suggest there is a link (such as this and this )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    For. It is practically impossible to power the UK on renewables alone. The only way that we can get off fossil fuels, which is of critical importance, is nuclear power. Nuclear power isn't dangerous - it has one of the lowest death rates per GWh of any energy source. The issue is that when they go wrong, they go catastrophically wrong which is why they have so much negative media attention.

Essentially, we haven't really got much of a choice with regard to nuclear energy. Whilst in an ideal society we would invest in renewables to the extent where we could become completely dependent on them, in our short-sighted, money centered world this simply isn't going to happen. The only way we are realistically going to wean ourselves off fossil fuels is nuclear energy.

Anybody vaguely interested in the debate has to read Sustainable Energy without the Hot Air. It's free, completely invaluable and absolutely superbly written.
    I'm doing this topic for my French oral, and the French version of that doc. was actually very useful! I know it wasn't intended in that way, but cheers anyway
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    I'm doing this topic for my French oral, and the French version of that doc. was actually very useful! I know it was intended in that way, but cheers anyway
    Haha, I literally just did a french Oral on this last Wednesday!

ReputationRep:
    I've not read that report, but I've read a couple of papers which seem to suggest there is a link (such as this and this )
    Now you can...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ower-leukaemia

http://www.comare.org.uk/press_relea...RE14report.pdf

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.