Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I'm just posting for some advice or help. I've been out of work since September now. In the past few months, out of the countless jobs I've applied for I've had three interviews, all of which I wasn't successful, the latest rejection email being sent this evening.

In all of the jobs I've applied for, most of which have been either retail or bar/waitressing, I've had experience. I seriously need a job as I have no money to my name and I'm getting so down about it. I know everybody is in the same boat, it's horrible, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have a degree from university in drama, which is what I want to do in life and make a career out of. I want to act, it's my biggest passion. But I'm realistic in that it won't happen overnight and in the meantime I need a job to make me money so I can pursue it.

Since retail jobs and or bar jobs aren't working out for me as I'm not getting anywhere with them, anybody else have any other suggestions/ideas on what else I could apply or look for and how to go about it?

As I said, I love drama and in my spare time I do some tv extra work but it's not regular enough to get me through the months so I need something else too. I love drawing and without sounding big headed I think I'm good at it, getting a B in GSCE Art so I wouldn't mind a job as an art technician in a school as I know you don't need any teaching qualifications for that. Does anybody have any ideas of how to go about getting a technician job as the internet vacancies are pretty non existent. I'd also love a drama technician job.

I also love graphic design and have been using Photoshop for about six years now and again, I think I produce some good stuff with it. But any graphic design jobs seem to also require knowledge of Illustrator too which I don't have. Anybody else know a way around this or how to get into it?

Other jobs I wouldn't mind doing would be secretarial/reception/admin/data input, but a lot of these need previous experience in a similar role. Again, anybody ever got one of these types of jobs without any prior experience? And if so, how?

I'm still going to apply for any type of job that have vacancies but the retail and bar route just doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment so I'm thinking of alternatives. I'm getting interviews so my CV's and applications can't be the problem. Maybe it's my interview technique although I'm always enthusiastic in them and tell the employers what I think they want to hear. I don't particularly enjoy retail or bar work at all and if I'm honest, I just want the jobs for the money. Maybe no matter how enthusiastic I try and seem in the interview, they still might see through me?

I don't know, I'm just at a loss guys. Any ideas, suggestions or advice would be much appreciated as I'm open to anything.

Thanks.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCreed)
    Hi guys. I'm just posting for some advice or help. I've been out of work since September now. In the past few months, out of the countless jobs I've applied for I've had three interviews, all of which I wasn't successful, the latest rejection email being sent this evening.

In all of the jobs I've applied for, most of which have been either retail or bar/waitressing, I've had experience. I seriously need a job as I have no money to my name and I'm getting so down about it. I know everybody is in the same boat, it's horrible, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have a degree from university in drama, which is what I want to do in life and make a career out of. I want to act, it's my biggest passion. But I'm realistic in that it won't happen overnight and in the meantime I need a job to make me money so I can pursue it.

Since retail jobs and or bar jobs aren't working out for me as I'm not getting anywhere with them, anybody else have any other suggestions/ideas on what else I could apply or look for and how to go about it?

As I said, I love drama and in my spare time I do some tv extra work but it's not regular enough to get me through the months so I need something else too. I love drawing and without sounding big headed I think I'm good at it, getting a B in GSCE Art so I wouldn't mind a job as an art technician in a school as I know you don't need any teaching qualifications for that. Does anybody have any ideas of how to go about getting a technician job as the internet vacancies are pretty non existent. I'd also love a drama technician job.

I also love graphic design and have been using Photoshop for about six years now and again, I think I produce some good stuff with it. But any graphic design jobs seem to also require knowledge of Illustrator too which I don't have. Anybody else know a way around this or how to get into it?

Other jobs I wouldn't mind doing would be secretarial/reception/admin/data input, but a lot of these need previous experience in a similar role. Again, anybody ever got one of these types of jobs without any prior experience? And if so, how?

I'm still going to apply for any type of job that have vacancies but the retail and bar route just doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment so I'm thinking of alternatives. I'm getting interviews so my CV's and applications can't be the problem. Maybe it's my interview technique although I'm always enthusiastic in them and tell the employers what I think they want to hear. I don't particularly enjoy retail or bar work at all and if I'm honest, I just want the jobs for the money. Maybe no matter how enthusiastic I try and seem in the interview, they still might see through me?

I don't know, I'm just at a loss guys. Any ideas, suggestions or advice would be much appreciated as I'm open to anything.

Thanks.
    Hi,

I understand you must be feeling quite frustrated.

Personally I think the reason you're not having any luck with waitressing etc is because you have a degree. They will look at your CV and think, 'they're only going to stay with us until they find someone better'.

I'd try and apply for roles that are starting roles. Have you thought about Marketing - sometimes they involve a lot of photoshop work, you know, print media type. Illustrator is pretty similar to photoshop really! And it should be easy enough to get into an entry level role.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.