Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Protect hands in water Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a pot washer in a pub, this means that my hands are submerged in soapy water for about 5 or 6 hours solid. After every shift my hands are awful; extremely wrinkled, shedding skin etc...

After my last shift I actually lost the entire upper layer of my skin.

Before I leave the house, I apply moisturiser to act as a slight barrier to the water (It makes it bead when on the skin a little), I also wear latex gloves whilst washing and then some heavy-duty rubber gloves on top of them, but even then the water still gets through.

What else can I do?
    I obviously cannot avoid the water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
    I am a pot washer in a pub, this means that my hands are submerged in soapy water for about 5 or 6 hours solid. After every shift my hands are awful; extremely wrinkled, shedding skin etc...

After my last shift I actually lost the entire upper layer of my skin.

Before I leave the house, I apply moisturiser to act as a slight barrier to the water (It makes it bead when on the skin a little), I also wear latex gloves whilst washing and then some heavy-duty rubber gloves on top of them, but even then the water still gets through.

What else can I do?
    I obviously cannot avoid the water.
    Almost impossible to avoid, my friend and I feel your pain as I work with food handwashing is a must at all times
    I find that only moisturising them alone is not enough
    In order to keep them super soft you need to exfoliate the dead skin off too otherwise you are simply applying cream to dead skin which will do bodiddly squat! :O
    And I don't mean to sound insulting but there isn't a hole in the gloves, perchance?
    Failing that maybe an allergy to latex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla)
    Almost impossible to avoid, my friend and I feel your pain as I work with food handwashing is a must at all times
    I find that only moisturising them alone is not enough
    In order to keep them super soft you need to exfoliate the dead skin off too otherwise you are simply applying cream to dead skin which will do bodiddly squat! :O
    And I don't mean to sound insulting but there isn't a hole in the gloves, perchance?
    Failing that maybe an allergy to latex?
    I don't think I'm allergic to latex, I'll wear them for an hour or two when I'm around the house and see if I have any reaction.

No, no holes in the gloves at all. Some water just manages to get over the top of them.

ReputationRep:
    How does the water get through?! Wear rubber bands round the top of the glove to stop water getting in if its coming through there. E45 cream will sort them out after too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielaandrea)
    How does the water get through?! Wear rubber bands round the top of the glove to stop water getting in if its coming through there. E45 cream will sort them out after too.
    E45 cream doesn't make skin grow back.

ReputationRep:
    E45 cream doesn't make skin grow back.
    I never said it did, it'll help if the skin is damaged though, try sudocrem (I know its normally for nappy rash) but its good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielaandrea)
    I never said it did, it'll help if the skin is damaged though, try sudocrem (I know its normally for nappy rash) but its good too.
    I use a moisturiser by cuticura, I have really bad dry skin on my hands and tried all sorts of creams. This is definitely the best I have found. Still doesn't really help my hands when they are having this treatment though.

ReputationRep:
    Tell the manager your hands are becoming irritated and ask for longer gloves so that the water doesn't seep over the top. The same thing happened me, extremely irritating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    Tell the manager your hands are becoming irritated and ask for longer gloves so that the water doesn't seep over the top. The same thing happened me, extremely irritating.
    They supply the latex ones (Although I have a pack of my own too). The rubber are my own which I take over there each time.

Will consider getting longer ones, are there any other precautions I can take?

Are there any barrier creams which may be useful?

ReputationRep:
    They supply the latex ones (Although I have a pack of my own too). The rubber are my own which I take over there each time.

Will consider getting longer ones, are there any other precautions I can take?

Are there any barrier creams which may be useful?
    I just used longer ones and made sure to moisturise every time afterwards. The long gloves helped the most though.

ReputationRep:
    Mineral Oil.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.