The Student Room Group

gcse help

hii am currently at 6thform, i am retaking my english and maths i got a D in maths and an E in english i have three other gcse which all are C's am really scared that i fail english and maths again and cant apply to go to uni next year september also if i hopefully manage to get C's in both english and maths because that would mean i would have 5 C's. most unis want between A*-C for 5 GCSE so would someone who have higher gcse grades have an advantage over me over me or would it depend on our Alevels
Reply 1
nope, not at all :smile: when Uni's say they want 5 A*-C that is all they want! At the end of the day, as long as you have the 5 GCSEs, they really, really don't matter! look on the UCAS website for the course you want to do, click on the uni and select 'entry' or something, and then click 'course specific requirements' from the tables that appear. they tell you all you need to know.

if you are unsure that you're grades alone are good enough, uni's LOVE you to have experience too, so go out volunteering or get work experience for the course that you want to do.

make sure that you do all you can to achieve at least a C in maths and english language, as you definitely need them :smile: but A levels are so much more important overall, so as long as you get those GCSEs dw about anything else :smile:
I had a crash course of tutoring before my maths GCSE which really helped and I went from D's to a B overall. If you can do this then I really recommend it. I also just did lots and lots of past papers! As for English is it literature or language?
Original post by Abigail05
nope, not at all :smile: when Uni's say they want 5 A*-C that is all they want! At the end of the day, as long as you have the 5 GCSEs, they really, really don't matter! look on the UCAS website for the course you want to do, click on the uni and select 'entry' or something, and then click 'course specific requirements' from the tables that appear. they tell you all you need to know.

if you are unsure that you're grades alone are good enough, uni's LOVE you to have experience too, so go out volunteering or get work experience for the course that you want to do.

make sure that you do all you can to achieve at least a C in maths and english language, as you definitely need them :smile: but A levels are so much more important overall, so as long as you get those GCSEs dw about anything else :smile:

I agree.
As long as you have 5 GCSE's that are C or above, then it doesnt matter. Its mainly your a-level grades they look at. It would only really matter if you e=you where going to do medicine or going to oxbridge.
Id do some volunteering, as unis love it as it shows you do things out side of your studies and it shows that bit of extra get up and go.

Quick Reply

Latest