Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So basically what is happening is, I am currently applying for the Royal Navy. I have my medical that is coming up on the 3rd of April in Newcastle. Although when I was filling in my Navy medical form I saw that it cropped up and said that "clubbed foot" was a dis-qualifier. I was born with clubbed foot and I grew up with clubbed foot, I have had 2 operations on my right leg and none on my left. I can do everything that is required in the fitness test and because of the surgery and long process of different stretches to do, my legs are just the same as anybody else's. So I don't understand why it should be a problem for me. My father has has 26 years of service in the Army and he told me to get a letter from my doctor and physiotherapist with a statement saying whether they think that I am fit enough to join and carry out tasks whilst in the Navy, and they both replied saying that they think I would be fine coping with it, as my legs are no different from anybody else's. But I am just very worried about this medical and I was wondering what other people's opinions would be on this matter. Any help is appreciated as this is my first post in these forums. Thanks a lot everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Be prepared for a fight.

Go along to the medical with all your documents and letters. If they pass you, fine. If not, ask to take it up at a higher level and present the letters you've got. It won't happen on the day and will involve you doing a lot of the legwork.

But remember that with much reduced recruitment they can afford to be very picky about who they let in.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a disqualifier, don't be surprised to find you get rejected.

The long term prognosis for adults with club foot, especially those who've had multiple surgeries, isn't brilliant- many people need additional operations as they get older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Be prepared for a fight.

Go along to the medical with all your documents and letters. If they pass you, fine. If not, ask to take it up at a higher level and present the letters you've got. It won't happen on the day and will involve you doing a lot of the legwork.

But remember that with much reduced recruitment they can afford to be very picky about who they let in.
    Thanks a lot for the reply mate, it does make me feel more and more confident every time I hear somebody else's opinion, so thanks a bunch. But you are the first person to give me a real heads up to what the process may be, so I appreciate that greatly. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    If it's a disqualifier, don't be surprised to find you get rejected.

The long term prognosis for adults with club foot, especially those who've had multiple surgeries, isn't brilliant- many people need additional operations as they get older.
    Hi there, thanks for the reply. I have been told by my doctor that my last ever check up will be next year. I never have frequent check ups any more and I only have them annually now. And my physiotherapist said that I was fine the last time I seen him and I have never been asked to have a check up from him in a few years now. So I am basically going to be cleared from all the medical sides of things in a year, it is just the fact that "clubbed foot" is held to my name that I am worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emersonarnhm)
    Hi there, thanks for the reply. I have been told by my doctor that my last ever check up will be next year. I never have frequent check ups any more and I only have them annually now. And my physiotherapist said that I was fine the last time I seen him and I have never been asked to have a check up from him in a few years now. So I am basically going to be cleared from all the medical sides of things in a year, it is just the fact that "clubbed foot" is held to my name that I am worried about.
    That's the point. Whilst you're ok now, it would be impossible for doctors to accurately predict how you'd cope with the extremely physical demands of military life 3-4 years down the line. Which presumably is why clubfoot's down as a disqualifier.

Not trying to dissuade you, just being a different opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Fighting does sometimes get you somewhere with the medics, but not always. I've got a friend who was tripped up by a medical condition in his past only a couple of weeks before he was due to join. It took him over a year but he did eventually get in. Having said that, there are times when no matter how hard you try you won't get anywhere.
    You've got nothing to lose, but don't be tempted to lie. It will come back to bite you at some stage, and the dishonesty is likely to be at least as big a problem as the medical side of things.

Best of luck with it. If you want, PM me - there's a couple of things which may be of interest that I don't want to post on an open forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    That's the point. Whilst you're ok now, it would be impossible for doctors to accurately predict how you'd cope with the extremely physical demands of military life 3-4 years down the line. Which presumably is why clubfoot's down as a disqualifier.

Not trying to dissuade you, just being a different opinion.
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from mate. I mean, I know it's different but I went to Sea Cadets for 5 years, and during that time I did many boat launches and drill competitions basically standing still for hours before marching.

I have also completed the duke of Edinburgh bronze and I have carried out many different tasks such as hill walking with equipment on my back. And I know that I can't write this down anywhere as an official documentation, but I have had absolutely no troubles in the past with any physical activities, even when I have had to push all of my body to the maximum, it isn't like my legs just collapsed and stopped working. I am fine wearing military boots and I really don't see personally how there would be any trouble. And with the approval of my doctor that has worked with me for nearly 16 years and physiotherapist, I don't see why the Navy should see any reason to stop me. Once again, thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emersonarnhm)
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from mate. I mean, I know it's different but I went to Sea Cadets for 5 years, and during that time I did many boat launches and drill competitions basically standing still for hours before marching.

I have also completed the duke of Edinburgh bronze and I have carried out many different tasks such as hill walking with equipment on my back. And I know that I can't write this down anywhere as an official documentation, but I have had absolutely no troubles in the past with any physical activities, even when I have had to push all of my body to the maximum, it isn't like my legs just collapsed and stopped working. I am fine wearing military boots and I really don't see personally how there would be any trouble. And with the approval of my doctor that has worked with me for nearly 16 years and physiotherapist, I don't see why the Navy should see any reason to stop me. Once again, thanks for the reply.
    Best of luck mate!

ReputationRep:
    Your medical will consist of getting down to your underwear and performing an array or walking tasks (walking in a line, walking on the insides of your feet etc) so they can check mobility and stuff. If the doctor conducting the medical is happy with that then along with your documents you might be able to build a case if you do get rejected (which is unfortunately likely if it is listed as a preclude to entry). As has been mentioned, be prepared for a fight and hope for the best but expect the worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelFiveee)
    Your medical will consist of getting down to your underwear and performing an array or walking tasks (walking in a line, walking on the insides of your feet etc) so they can check mobility and stuff. If the doctor conducting the medical is happy with that then along with your documents you might be able to build a case if you do get rejected (which is unfortunately likely if it is listed as a preclude to entry). As has been mentioned, be prepared for a fight and hope for the best but expect the worse.
    Thank you very much for the advice, very considerate of you!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.