The Student Room Group

The Kaisers Weltpolitik help :)

Hey forums,

I need some help with my c/w. I have to write an analytical on:

How far Germany been shaped by its foreign policy 1890 - 1991

So far I have completed the section on the Kaiser's Weltpolitik, please can you have a look at it and let me know if I am on the right track? And any possible corrections I can make. And what other foreign policies I can talk about.

The Kaisers main foreign policy was 'Weltpolitik'. Its aim was to promote the policies of naval and colonial expansion. Although, it could be argued, that Weltpolitik did not pose a real threat to the world from a 'German' point of view. This was not case of foreign countries this policies affected. This is shown by the fact that Britain alienated itself and allied itself with France to maintain its naval lead. As a result, Germanys diplomatic and position was weaker in 1904 than it previously was with Britain. Therefore, this policy can be interpreted in two ways in which it changed Germany, first that this rapid deterioration of Germanys foreign relations was the cause or 'catalyst' of the first world war and future events, in addition according to historian Nancy Mitchell: "the adoption of Weltpolitik was a fundamental change in the conduct of German foreign policy." prior to the 'Weltpolitik' policy "Germany was content with being the leading power on the Continentby means of its army and subtle diplomacy." Therefore, it can be said that this policy changed Germany into an aggressive nation.
Original post by -Majin-
Therefore, this policy can be interpreted in two ways in which it changed Germany, first that this rapid deterioration of Germanys foreign relations was the cause or 'catalyst' of the first world war and future events, in addition according to historian Nancy Mitchell: "the adoption of Weltpolitik was a fundamental change in the conduct of German foreign policy." prior to the 'Weltpolitik' policy "Germany was content with being the leading power on the Continentby means of its army and subtle diplomacy." Therefore, it can be said that this policy changed Germany into an aggressive nation.

1. The First World War was not solely caused by German Weltpolitik, which is what you are saying in the first part of the first sentence above.

2. Austria (1866) and France (1870) might argue that Germany (Prussia) was already an aggressive nation before the adoption of Weltpolitik?
Reply 2
Thanks ageshallnot ,

I understand the first point you told me about, and will change it. I don't really understand the second, what I am actually trying to say using Mitchells quote is that it changed Germany into an aggressive nation, and that prior to that policy it was happy not being the most powerful. Is that correct?

Original post by -Majin-
Thanks ageshallnot ,

I understand the first point you told me about, and will change it. I don't really understand the second, what I am actually trying to say using Mitchells quote is that it changed Germany into an aggressive nation, and that prior to that policy it was happy not being the most powerful. Is that correct?

Mitchell isn't saying that Weltpolitik changed Germany into an aggressive nation. She is saying that it changed Germany from the top Continental power, into a nation striving to take a significant (the main?) role on the World stage. That Continental status was achieved by wars against Austria and France, both of which were planned by Germany.

By the way, is there a word or words missing from the title of your essay? What else are you going to cover apart from Weltpolitik?
Reply 4
Thanks, that clarified it a lot. For this essay I am covering these policies:

'Weltpolitik';
Stressemans policy of 'normalization' of Germany;
Hitler's 'lebensraum';
Willy Brant's 'Ostpolitik';
Helmut Kohl's 10 point plan;
and ideology as a factor which changed Germany.

Hahaha i just noticed myself there was word missing in the essay title o.0 it's supposed to be:

How far do you agree, that Germany has been shaped by its foreign policy 1890 - 1991?

Btw. would it be ok, if you have a look at my other paragraphs too? and i am finding it a bit difficult to write analytical, do you have any tips?
I can have a look - though I know little about the post-WW2 stuff and be warned that my History degree pre-dates the end of your time period!!! Send it to me directly if you want me to comment.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest