Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Just wondering what people's experiences are of mental health nursing at manchester or salford?

I have a conditional offer for Salford and have my interview at Manchester this tuesday, and struggling to decide between the two if I was to get an offer for Manchester

Looking for feedback in terms of facilities, support etc

If anybody has an info, I'd appreciate hearing from you

Thanks

Natalie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatLam88)
    Hi everyone

Just wondering what people's experiences are of mental health nursing at manchester or salford?

I have a conditional offer for Salford and have my interview at Manchester this tuesday, and struggling to decide between the two if I was to get an offer for Manchester

Thanks

Natalie
    Which one did you end up picking ? I'm having the exact same problem! My heart says salford but my brain says manchester !

ReputationRep:
    Manchester All the best!

ReputationRep:
    I worry that manchester is really heavy on the science and I won't be able to handle it. I love science but I'm not naturally clever. What is it like ? Do you enjoy in there and are you glad you picked it ? X

ReputationRep:
    I have just recieved a conditional offer from Salford and I'm unsure too! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatLam88)
    Hi everyone

Thanks

Natalie
    Manchesterr👍

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Manchester. believe me you don't want to waste your time in Salford. Take it from someone who has been in Salford for the last two years and has been offered a place on another mental health course in Manchester. absolutely no choice here support wise, reputation etc. Grab Manchester if offered. No brainer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmq1995)
    I have just recieved a conditional offer from Salford and I'm unsure too! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Manchester. No brainer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Animbom)
    Definitely Manchester. believe me you don't want to waste your time in Salford. Take it from someone who has been in Salford for the last two years and has been offered a place on another mental health course in Manchester. absolutely no choice here support wise, reputation etc. Grab Manchester if offered. No brainer
    What was bad about Salford? I have spoke to someone doing adult nursing and she said it is brilliant. Obviously manchester has a better reputation but I worry about the course being too science heavy for me to handle! Thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graciebobs)
    What was bad about Salford? I have spoke to someone doing adult nursing and she said it is brilliant. Obviously manchester has a better reputation but I worry about the course being too science heavy for me to handle! Thankyou x
    Nursing league table is a very good indicator. Manchester belongs to the Russell group of universities meaning their graduates are first picks with employers. Manchester will greatly enhance your employment prospects. Secondly, Salford is just a badly run university with many of its very good lecturers leaving to better universities. A few years ago at Salford Nursing ranked really high in the league tables but over the last couple of years the decline has been rapid from top 10 to 35 this year. Based on this rate of decline by the time you finish your degree in 2017 think of what may happen.
    Thirdly, Manchester also has the best placements in the greater Manchester area with Salford depending on the leftovers. This is because Manchester pays more placements more consequently they get the best places.

I could go on about Lecturers, support, complaints, bursaries etc. My advice is simple. Choose Manchester. I had offers to do Mental health at both Salford and Manchester this September. They were the only two universities I applied with UCAS for coz I wanted to remain in Manchester. I did a thorough research into Nursing at both Universities. It was evident that was a chasm in terms of quality between them. It was Manchester or nothing for me.

Remember I am currently in the second year of my masters at Salford. Believe me, if I knew then what I know now, I would never have chosen Salford. Hope this helps inform your decision making process.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.