Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I have just joined this site and need some help with deciding on which uni!

I have applied to do LLB law starting this year (2013) and have been offered the following conditional places (conditions not a consideration, as i have met them all).

Exeter

Warwick

Cardiff (LLB Law & Criminology)

Just in case it helps in providing further opinion, I am a mature student (38 years old) and have a young daughter, so nightlife etc really isn't one of my main considerations!!

Also any views on the advantages/disadvantages of taking the joint honours with Criminology would be much appreciated also!

Many thanks,

Monty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monty1975)
    Hi Everyone,

I have just joined this site and need some help with deciding on which uni!

I have applied to do LLB law starting this year (2013) and have been offered the following conditional places (conditions not a consideration, as i have met them all).

Exeter

Warwick

Cardiff (LLB Law & Criminology)

Just in case it helps in providing further opinion, I am a mature student (38 years old) and have a young daughter, so nightlife etc really isn't one of my main considerations!!

Also any views on the advantages/disadvantages of taking the joint honours with Criminology would be much appreciated also!

Many thanks,

Monty.
    One can't really answer the question of law & crim without considering what you are planning to do with your degree. To take two extreme examples, law & crim will be more useful than straight law if you intend to be a probation officer. It won't if you plan to become a patent agent.

Warwick has higher regard on TSR than it probably does in real life as to some degree its genuine reputation in maths and economics (and TSR has a lot of investment banking wannabes) gets transmitted by osmosis to its law course.

I am assuming that partner and child are staying at home and you are going away to university so that you don't have to think about them in your university choice. Nevertheless I think my primary judgment call between Warwick and Exeter would be the convenience of the Friday afternoon drive home and Sunday/Monday drive back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    One can't really answer the question of law & crim without considering what you are planning to do with your degree. To take two extreme examples, law & crim will be more useful than straight law if you intend to be a probation officer. It won't if you plan to become a patent agent.

Warwick has higher regard on TSR than it probably does in real life as to some degree its genuine reputation in maths and economics (and TSR has a lot of investment banking wannabes) gets transmitted by osmosis to its law course.

I am assuming that partner and child are staying at home and you are going away to university so that you don't have to think about them in your university choice. Nevertheless I think my primary judgment call between Warwick and Exeter would be the convenience of the Friday afternoon drive home and Sunday/Monday drive back.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Apart from Exeter, we will all be moving to accommodate my chosen uni!

We currently live in Cornwall and therefore Exeter is commutable.

We actually own a property (currently rented out) which is commutable to Warwick as prior to moving to Cornwall I worked in London and my
    daughters mother actually graduated from Warwick Med School in 2006.

Therefore, Cardiff is the only location which will be completely new to us and will require rented accommodation sourcing.

In respect of career aspirations, my vision is for the Criminal Bar, however until fully exposed to my degree, that may well change, I just don't know.

My initial thoughts on Law/Crim at Cardiff were that achieving a joint honours may place me slightly ahead of the competition!? Cardiff seems to have been the hardest to gain entry too, having had to provide additional references to my Ucas application, attend an interview and complete an aptitude test. Additionally my understanding is that there is only approx 18 places on the Law/Crim course. It may sound silly, but I guess I feel like I have done pretty well to get offered a place.

Warwick also requested a further entrance and the examination result criteria was identical for Cardiff but there was no interview etc.

Exeter was my first offer, the conditional requirements were the lowest and another concern is that the course has between 280 - 300 Law students per year, which is higher than the others.

Thanks again, Monty.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, Warwick should say that they also requested a further reference in addition to my UCAS reference.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Apart from Exeter, we will all be moving to accommodate my chosen uni!

We currently live in Cornwall and therefore Exeter is commutable.

We actually own a property (currently rented out) which is commutable to Warwick as prior to moving to Cornwall I worked in London and my
    daughters mother actually graduated from Warwick Med School in 2006.

Therefore, Cardiff is the only location which will be completely new to us and will require rented accommodation sourcing.

In respect of career aspirations, my vision is for the Criminal Bar, however until fully exposed to my degree, that may well change, I just don't know.

My initial thoughts on Law/Crim at Cardiff were that achieving a joint honours may place me slightly ahead of the competition!? Cardiff seems to have been the hardest to gain entry too, having had to provide additional references to my Ucas application, attend an interview and complete an aptitude test. Additionally my understanding is that there is only approx 18 places on the Law/Crim course. It may sound silly, but I guess I feel like I have done pretty well to get offered a place.

Warwick also requested a further entrance and the examination result criteria was identical for Cardiff but there was no interview etc.

Exeter was my first offer, the conditional requirements were the lowest and another concern is that the course has between 280 - 300 Law students per year, which is higher than the others.

Thanks again, Monty.
    Most joint honours courses are small. There will be no real advantage for the bar in doing a law & crim degree. Cardiff is academically the weakest of the three universities but may have advantages if you were Welsh and seeking a career at the bar in Wales.

It is a bit of a toss up between Warwick and Exeter. The size of the cohort shouldn't really matter. I can think of a lot of differences between the two universities that would be relevant to an 18 year old but not to a mature student. I would probably go for Exeter on the basis that it is perhaps more embedded in the legal community of the south-west than Warwick is of the Midlands.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Thanks for your reply, lots of food for thought. Any view on the Guardian 2013 Law Rankings? Warwick 8 Exeter 24? Thanks again.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been to Warwick (mind you nor have I applied there) but I have just come back from an offer holder visit day at Exeter. The campus and university is (nearly) brand spanking new and it seems like a great university. I did ask about the size of the law school and lectures etc as that was a concern, it was confirmed that some lectures might have 250 people but equally they might split the group.

I'm unsure too (have another uni to visit) but it definitely seemed like a great place overall.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i went to yesterdays (20/3/13) open day. Whilst i was impressed with the campus location, proximity to the city centre and facilities within the Law School, the negatives for me were that the law school 'Quiet area' and study pods that can be booked for small study groups, seemed very very busy and almost overcrowded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasty)
    I haven't been to Warwick (mind you nor have I applied there) but I have just come back from an offer holder visit day at Exeter. The campus and university is (nearly) brand spanking new and it seems like a great university. I did ask about the size of the law school and lectures etc as that was a concern, it was confirmed that some lectures might have 250 people but equally they might split the group.

I'm unsure too (have another uni to visit) but it definitely seemed like a great place overall.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    hi! i went to the offer-holders open day too! i really like exeter, but I'm debating between exeter and york.. any comments? yorks ranked much higher in the guardian league table, but i didn't really like it... dilemma!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huchingxmomo)
    hi! i went to the offer-holders open day too! i really like exeter, but I'm debating between exeter and york.. any comments? yorks ranked much higher in the guardian league table, but i didn't really like it... dilemma!
    I have applied to York and they are the only university to make no contact with me. Since they interview, I presume I will be "unsuccessful" with my application so I can't comment. The only thing I know is that the course is completely different to everywhere else!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Thanks for your reply, lots of food for thought. Any view on the Guardian 2013 Law Rankings? Warwick 8 Exeter 24? Thanks again.
    The figures say what they say. Other rankings put them closer together.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in the same position, but i think i'll choose york, why don't you really like it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasty)
    I have applied to York and they are the only university to make no contact with me. Since they interview, I presume I will be "unsuccessful" with my application so I can't comment. The only thing I know is that the course is completely different to everywhere else!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah they have problem-based learning which is really fascinating if you ask me, but then i just didn't really like the place. anyways i hope you hear from them soon, and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abithegreatest)
    I'm also in the same position, but i think i'll choose york, why don't you really like it?
    well i felt like the law campus is so far away from the main bits and i just didn't really like the buildings, they were like really grey and ... off-putting in a way? i also find the people in exeter much nicer... but apparently nightlife in exeter's pretty limited though so I'm still debating between them! what made you choose york?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    well i felt like the law campus is so far away from the main bits and i just didn't really like the buildings, they were like really grey and ... off-putting in a way? i also find the people in exeter much nicer... but apparently nightlife in exeter's pretty limited though so I'm still debating between them! what made you choose york?
    Having been out in York a few times I would hardly describe it as wild. Neither of them is going to have a big nightlife scene so I wouldn't worry about it too much compared to things like PBL and the collegiate thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Having been out in York a few times I would hardly describe it as wild. Neither of them is going to have a big nightlife scene so I wouldn't worry about it too much compared to things like PBL and the collegiate thing.
    Damn I was looking forward to a wild first year ahah. York is ranked higher than Exeter in league tables, but I personally llie Exeter more and it's closer to London... What do you reckon I should do? :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Damn I was looking forward to a wild first year ahah. York is ranked higher than Exeter in league tables, but I personally llie Exeter more and it's closer to London... What do you reckon I should do? :/
    You can still have a wild first year, and probably will, you'll just make the most of what is there!

I'm not sure being closer to London's that big a factor, it's still a fair way and York's actually quicker by train. If you prefer Exeter though, and assuming you aren't particularly keen on York's course, I'd probably choose there.

ReputationRep:
    Mature law student here studying at York Law School.If you want 3 years of partying go somewhere else BUT if you want a young fresh law school come to York.PBL is challenging-reason I wouldn't encourage partying for 3 years- and yet fun.Student Law Firms prepare you to chair meetings and in essence you are taught to think like a lawyer from day one.Applications to YLS are up 80% from last year I heard.Get your 3As and come to York.

ReputationRep:
    Actually in the 4 main league tables, it is:

Exeter 7,10,10,13
    York 12,13,15,17

Specifically for the subject of Law, for the Complete University Guide, Exeter is ahead of York, but in the Guardian, York is ahead of Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Film)
    Actually in the 4 main league tables, it is:

Exeter 7,10,10,13
    York 12,13,15,17

Specifically for the subject of Law, for the Complete University Guide, Exeter is ahead of York, but in the Guardian, York is ahead of Exeter.
    The real point here is that York's position in law league tables is almost wholly artificial. Only the student satisfaction figure is "real". Figures for expenditure are inflated by the costs of setting up a new course. A level points on entry merely reflect how successful the marketing department has been in attracting students to an untried course. Graduate prospects are distorted for all universities for law anyway given that the survey is 6 months after graduation. Either they include further study in which case they don't distinguish between those doing the LPC with a training contract in the bag and those doing an LLM because they are at a loose end, or they exclude further study in which they are a survey of those who have dropped out of the race to become a lawyer. York didn't participate in the last RAE for law.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.