Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncsean)
    Mature law student here studying at York Law School.If you want 3 years of partying go somewhere else BUT if you want a young fresh law school come to York.PBL is challenging-reason I wouldn't encourage partying for 3 years- and yet fun.Student Law Firms prepare you to chair meetings and in essence you are taught to think like a lawyer from day one.Applications to YLS are up 80% from last year I heard.Get your 3As and come to York.
    ahh okay, i wouldn't want straight partying for 3 years but i was expecting a wild freshers at least ehm what made you choose YLS and what were your other choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    You can still have a wild first year, and probably will, you'll just make the most of what is there!

I'm not sure being closer to London's that big a factor, it's still a fair way and York's actually quicker by train. If you prefer Exeter though, and assuming you aren't particularly keen on York's course, I'd probably choose there.
    hmm.. in that case which uni would you presume to have a better reputation, york or exeter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The real point here is that York's position in law league tables is almost wholly artificial. Only the student satisfaction figure is "real". Figures for expenditure are inflated by the costs of setting up a new course. A level points on entry merely reflect how successful the marketing department has been in attracting students to an untried course. Graduate prospects are distorted for all universities for law anyway given that the survey is 6 months after graduation. Either they include further study in which case they don't distinguish between those doing the LPC with a training contract in the bag and those doing an LLM because they are at a loose end, or they exclude further study in which they are a survey of those who have dropped out of the race to become a lawyer. York didn't participate in the last RAE for law.
    I'm sorry, silly question here, but whats RAE? and i don't really understand league tables, before someone said exeter was higher in the law league tables yet york is ranked 5th in the guardian.. can someone explain that to me please?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huchingxmomo)
    hmm.. in that case which uni would you presume to have a better reputation, york or exeter?
    Firstly, my opinion is worth pretty much nothing on this, I am not a graduate recruiter nor will I be by the time you graduate/apply for TCs (though there's a very small chance I may give you a tour of the office or you may shadow me for WE ). Anyway, it's not going to be a significant difference I wouldn't have thought, though York's Law School is very new. The key differences between a York and Exeter grad on a TC form will be who has the better grades, ECs, responses and work experience. You're more likely to do well in 2 of these categories at the uni you enjoy your time at, so go to that one. The only time I could see one giving any significant advantage over the other is if you were applying for TCs in Bristol/the South West or Leeds/Yorkshire.

(Original post by huchingxmomo)
    I'm sorry, silly question here, but whats RAE? and i don't really understand league tables, before someone said exeter was higher in the law league tables yet york is ranked 5th in the guardian.. can someone explain that to me please?
    RAE is the Research Assessment Exercise. Universities submit academics work and it is then graded based upon its quality, these scores are then used to help decide on research funding for the next few years.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately for me, i crashed and burnt at the YLS interview (had a terrible interview!), but i have to admit had i have received the YLS offer i wouldn't have been in the position i'm now in (choosing between, Warwick, Cardiff, Exeter) because i would have accepted it in a flash! Whilst lYLS is located slightly out on a limb, I personally felt that the facilities in respect of how the PBL is operated were fabulous. Exeter have tried to mirror these types of facilities in their renovated building, but the the 1960's build just hasn't allowed the same open plan airy space (it was overcrowded and almost claustrophobic when i visited).

Although your final grade is paramount, the experience gained from PBL in my opinion will YLS graduates the edge.

Anyway, back to my own problem! Exeter, Warwick or Cardiff??

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.