Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Best way to learn a language? Watch

ReputationRep:
    During this upcoming summer I am determined to improve my french and spanish conversational ability - I want to aim to become fluent.

I studied french and spanish during secondary school but I have not used either since ( in 3 odd years), so I know the knowledge is in my head somewhere but my main concern on top of this is learning new vocabulary.

So say I had 3 months to become fluent conversationally, I know that there are many many ways to learn a language - but which is the most efficient given my history? Perhaps watching movies? listening to lessons? watching cartoons? using PC software? Any advice would be great!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Live there. No substitute.

Otherwise, read and listen to as much as you possibly can, use a grammar book on the side so you understand the mechanics.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Expose yourself to the language as much as possible. Listening to music in the foreign language will help you.

Edit: alongside other things, of course
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    As everyone else has said, there is nothing better than being totally immersed in a language. That's how you learnt your native language as a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Live there. No substitute.

Otherwise, read and listen to as much as you possibly can, use a grammar book on the side so you understand the mechanics.
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    Expose yourself to the language as much as possible. Listening to music in the foreign language will help you.

Edit: alongside other things, of course
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    As everyone else has said, there is nothing better than being totally immersed in a language. That's how you learnt your native language as a baby.
    Thanks for your replies. As much as I wish I could travel to a country this summer it simply won't be possible. Therefore I am going to have to try and immerse myself as much as possible where I am (UK), listening to music is a good suggestion. When I was a kid learning english through TV programmes helped quite a lot:

does anybody know any french or spanish TV / cartoon programs I could watch to help, some that have a good visual representation of what is being said?

Any other specific ways I could immerse myself whilst still in the UK?

Thanks for your time with all this!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Develop)
    Thanks for your replies. As much as I wish I could travel to a country this summer it simply won't be possible. Therefore I am going to have to try and immerse myself as much as possible where I am (UK), listening to music is a good suggestion. When I was a kid learning english through TV programmes helped quite a lot:

does anybody know any french or spanish TV / cartoon programs I could watch to help, some that have a good visual representation of what is being said?

If you're into politics CharlieHebdo is good. The news (search France 2 JT) is never a bad starting point, as you already know what's going on in many cases and the newsreaders generally speak clearly and without strong accents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Develop)

Here's a list of Spanish radios:

http://www.listenlive.eu/spain.html

I personally like to listen to Cadena Dial everyday. As I don't always have the opportunity to practice my pronunciation, it's helpful to listen to the way the presenters pronunce the words. I also use busuu.com to chat with native speakers, which is a fun way to make friends and learn a bit more about the culture, as well as learn some new slang.

I've got the BBC News page in Spanish as my homepage, so I try to read at least one article a day to try to improve my vocabulary.

Plus, I like to watch Spanish films. I started watching them with english subtitles, but I'm now starting to watch them with spanish subtitles.
    Some spanish films I've seen are: Maria llena eres de gracia, Mar adentro, Abre los ojos and Pans Labyrinth. It might also be a good idea to watch TV shows in Spanish that you've already seen in English, since you'll know the storyline.

I have a Spanish playlist on my phone as well, which is mostly filled with slow love songs which I can understand. I've found that using a variety of methods helps me to enjoy the learning process, and makes it more fun for me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys this is great! Hopefully all these things will help me, perhaps in a few months time I'll come back to this thread and be able to show how much I've developed!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.