Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

30 Day Shred Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Fitness TSR'ers!

I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the 30 day shred yet, and I'm starting it up! So has anyone done it and completed it? What were your results like? What did you do, what did you eat, what did you go onto?

I've just finished Day One... and I can't walk down stairs. I can walk UP, but not down!? I'm pretty active in my day to day work (teacher) and go to the gym when I can, but I know I don't push myself as much as I should.

I'll start with measurements, and maybe when I'm feeling confident, post some pics (its not pretty - the bikini is too small!)
    Height: 5ft7 Weight: 12st 2.5lbs Dress Size: 14
    Thighs: 24" Arms: 12" Waist: 30" Hips: 38" Bum: 42"

So yeah.... definitely NOT a pretty sight! But that's what the 30 day shred will hopefully change for me! I'm planning on swimming alongside it maybe 3/4 times a week and then moving onto Ripped in 30 afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    If you could shred in 30 days everyone would do it. If you are shredded then why the need to do another 30 days of ripped?

Good you're doing exercise. Just keep at it. These short programs are short sighted and don't address people's attitude to food and exercise, and often lead to yo-yoing from one fad to the next. Nothing is a quick fix; it normally takes time to get fat and it equally takes time to shed it. Nobody became fat in 30 days. Just remember that, have patience and don't overreach.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start the 30 day shred on Monday. My measurements:

Height: 5ft 5"
    Current weight: 11st 5lbs
    Arms: 12.5
    Bust: 36
    Waist: 27.9
    Thighs:24.5
    Hips/Bum: 41

Have done parts of Level 1 before but never kept it up. I've seen results pictures on MFP which are pretty inspiring.

My diet is around 1500 calories on workout days and about 1300-1500 on less intense days (depending on level of hunger). I'm eating a lot of protein, sticking to good carbs and eating unprocessed food.

My schedule is going to be the standard 5 days of Level 1 + plus weekend off, followed by another 5 days of Level 1 then weekend; then the same for level 2 and level 3. I most want to lose inches from my bottom half. I know what Level 1 is like but kind of dreading getting to Level 3.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm currently on day 4 of the shred! Found it does get easier though the muscle aching is hell! Not sure I'm seeing results yet but still! As long as you plan to continue exercising after the 30 days then I think it's a great program
    Good luck!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I've never heard of this, will have to check it out. Good luck though, keep at it and keep us updated

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend did this and I guess she found it somewhat useful. I agree with Silent ninja though and a long term solution is better. After the 30 days she hasn't done any exercise whatsoever, waste of time imo.

ReputationRep:
    I started day 1 today! Was much harder that I thought it would be , I'm already dreading tomorrow :/ I've been using myfitnesspal for a few weeks and have been on the xtrainer and doing dance classes since jan with slow improvement..hopefully this will kick it up a gear

I have pretty much the exact measurements as you(cant recall from memory atm) it will be interesting to compare in a month!

(Original post by linkdapink)
    Height: 5ft7 Weight: 12st 2.5lbs Dress Size: 14
    Thighs: 24" Arms: 12" Waist: 30" Hips: 38" Bum: 42"

ReputationRep:
    I have 4 days left! Level 2 is the worst I think, I actually only did 5 days of it because I hated it so much and found level 3 much better! I ended up doing 7 days level one, 5 days level 2, and the rest level 3.

That said, I never got the achy legs or muscles that others complain about, and the only exercise I did prior to it was swimming 2-3 times a month (I know, lol) and having a couple of jobs which have me on my feet all day.

I started at about 150lbs (5'4"), and when I finish I'll weigh myself the following morning (tuesday!) I want to get down to 130. I did have a sneaky weigh in a couple of weeks ago and it read 142.7 so so far so good! I think when I stretch upwards now I can see some definition forming in my core, so I just need to lose some body fat and I'm good to go! Hopefully in a week or so the weather will improve, so after the shred I'll get out on my bike, walks, make an effort to go swimming more etc. I don't want these 30 days to be in vain! Hoping to see 139 on tuesday, just so I can say I'm in the 30s!

In terms of eating, I've just stuck (generally) to 3 meals a day plus healthy snacks if I want them, I've cut waaay down on chocolate and cakes etc. I try to avoid these as they're trigger food for me in terms of bingeing.

I have a holiday to portugal mid June then from mid july I'm travelling round europe, so I want to look my best for these!! And of course I start uni in september so that too

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of it - I want to look into it. I normally workout, but have lost interest of late so a motivating programme would likely get me back on track!

ReputationRep:
    Day three now - about to start my workout (after having a bit of chilling out time) and I really ache. The workout yesterday was fine though, despite being in agony - I paced myself and really did reach the point of fatigue (my legs started shaking) but overall, I wasn't waiting for it to be over like I was on day one! I'm trying to not weigh myself everyday but its such a temptation!

ReputationRep:
    The reviews on it look really good (on Amazon) but I can't find out much about it. Personally I think that 30 days continually at such high intensity is too demanding. I would be surprised if a lot of people don't give up. For an exercise routine to be a good one, you have to stick to it. It's not the kinda thing that you resort to when you've put weight on and your clothes are fitting too tight, it should be an ongoing process.

ReputationRep:
    My advice for anyone doing this is to have a plan for the changes you are gonna make after you finish. There is really no point doing a 30-day quick fix if it isn't going to have a long term effect on your lifestyle. I am all for "boot camp" style things if it inspires you to make general changes, but if you go back to bad habits afterwards then why bother in the first place.

So my question to everyone doing this is why are you doing it? And what are your plans for after you finish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    My advice for anyone doing this is to have a plan for the changes you are gonna make after you finish. There is really no point doing a 30-day quick fix if it isn't going to have a long term effect on your lifestyle. I am all for "boot camp" style things if it inspires you to make general changes, but if you go back to bad habits afterwards then why bother in the first place.

So my question to everyone doing this is why are you doing it? And what are your plans for after you finish?
    I just started doing it on a whim to be honest. I regularly go to the gym, but I know I don't push myself. I signed up to all sorts of classes, but since they were an hour/hour and a half long I didn't have time. I just thought I'd give it a go - really push myself to motivate myself at the gym I guess.

I am still going to the gym and swimming when I can - but it really is a time issue for me at the moment.

Afterwards, I'm still going to go to the gym, but also plan on doing "Ripped in 30" another Jillian Michaels, because I really like the videos!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I just started doing it on a whim to be honest. I regularly go to the gym, but I know I don't push myself. I signed up to all sorts of classes, but since they were an hour/hour and a half long I didn't have time. I just thought I'd give it a go - really push myself to motivate myself at the gym I guess.

I am still going to the gym and swimming when I can - but it really is a time issue for me at the moment.

Afterwards, I'm still going to go to the gym, but also plan on doing "Ripped in 30" another Jillian Michaels, because I really like the videos!
    I know about the lack of time
    Are you making any changes to your diet?
    What are you going to do at the gym? Do you have a routine? Do you have goals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)

I'm using the 30 day shred to kick start me into regular exercise. I swim twice a week for an hour each time but I wanted to do more. The program works well for me because its short and intensive but doesn't allow me to get bored and is a motivator in itself.

I'm not going to join the gym because of money and I can't use the treadmill or anything like that because of knee problems. So I thought the best idea was body weight and weight exercises at home as I have dumbells and a barbell. Only problem was getting a routine...having one fixed for me has really helped. I have no intentions of stopping regular exercise after finishing the 30 day shred - though I may need advice on constructing a routine when I get there!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    If you could shred in 30 days everyone would do it. If you are shredded then why the need to do another 30 days of ripped?

Good you're doing exercise. Just keep at it. These short programs are short sighted and don't address people's attitude to food and exercise, and often lead to yo-yoing from one fad to the next. Nothing is a quick fix; it normally takes time to get fat and it equally takes time to shed it. Nobody became fat in 30 days. Just remember that, have patience and don't overreach.

Bingo.

ReputationRep:
    This brings back memories.

I couldn't walk for three days after Day 1. Thankfully I started on a Friday so my only problem was walking around my house awkwardly, and crawling when my family weren't looking. Yes, it was that bad. I've done a million different types of workouts before but nothing killed as much as this did after the first day. The pain vanished after about a week so it wasn't too bad.

It's not a miracle workout but you do see results. It gets the job done. Considering it's only a half hour (which goes by SURPRISINGLY fast!) it is easy to make time for once a day, for the 30 days. My only problem was all that jumping my entire house (the house itself as well as my family) had to endure at 7am. Lucky for them I had to stop before I could begin Day 14 (brother was admitted to hospital, no time for workouts, gained about 5lbs, blah blah blah). I might consider starting it again. It can prove to be an incredibly fun workout for those as sadistic as I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I know about the lack of time
    Are you making any changes to your diet?
    What are you going to do at the gym? Do you have a routine? Do you have goals?
    I've cut out dairy, chocolate and crisps (all my bad snack-food) - the dairy is mostly because I've come to realise that I have always been lactose intolerant or developed secondary lactose intolerance since being on a "diet". I've also really tried to reduce carbs and increase protein and fruit/veg. My boyfriend thinks I might have gallbladder issues or a vitamin k deficiency since I can't seem to hold down fatty foods at the moment either :/

I don't know at the gym - this is something that I need help with! I usually go along, go on the treadmills, the cycles, machine-y things, do a couple of weights and sit ups then swim for a bit - but just kind of wander around a bit aimlessly. I really want to lose weight but also gain some muscle.

Any tips? Help?

ReputationRep:
    I loved this work out. Hated level 2, I loved how short it was and the mixture of exercises.The time flew by so quickly and I woke up aching all the time. I got good results but after the 30 days its like what next??? I'm thinking to try some of her other work out videos.

ReputationRep:
    Day 1 today and already want to punch Jillian

No, I am not fit. At all.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.