Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have now sent off my application for a foundation degree in Psychology.

I have been told that all students need to show good Maths and English skills so I presume there will be some sort of testing at interview.

Do universities use standards skills tests? Are there any links so I can have a look at what I might need to swat up on?

It's been a while since I studied maths so want to be able to revise a little.

Any help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Had a look on the internet and under the title of online tests,,, the tests vary from basic numeracy on edexcel (supposed to be level 3... but is very very simplistic) to some tests that are stated as entry tests for under graduate with such difficult algebra I was lost at the first question... and lots in between...

Haven't a clue what to revise really....

Have found I am fine with general arithmatic, division , multi, fractions, percentages, decimals, notation, prime numbers etc... and some basic algebra... but so many topics to go over, not sure which ones to go over...

Are these tests generally at A level maths or GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelsww)
    Had a look on the internet and under the title of online tests,,, the tests vary from basic numeracy on edexcel (supposed to be level 3... but is very very simplistic) to some tests that are stated as entry tests for under graduate with such difficult algebra I was lost at the first question... and lots in between...

Haven't a clue what to revise really....

Have found I am fine with general arithmatic, division , multi, fractions, percentages, decimals, notation, prime numbers etc... and some basic algebra... but so many topics to go over, not sure which ones to go over...

Are these tests generally at A level maths or GCSE?
    These tests are generally at GCSE level. They require you to have good literacy as it's predominantly essay / report based as a subject, you need numeracy as you'll be using statistics and so forth. I don't believe universities test for Psychology degree's, however I cannot be 100% sure on that, it is dependant upon the university you've applied to. It should say on the course specification page of the universities website.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I have checked the course details which say candidates will be interviewed and will need a good grasp of Literacy and numeracy.

As I am a mature student, I presume the only way they can gauge this is by testing but can't find any details on the website.

I will carry on revising to GCSE standard, and hope for the best. I am not worried about my essay skills having done some HE writing practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelsww)
    Hiya, I have checked the course details which say candidates will be interviewed and will need a good grasp of Literacy and numeracy.

As I am a mature student, I presume the only way they can gauge this is by testing but can't find any details on the website.

I will carry on revising to GCSE standard, and hope for the best. I am not worried about my essay skills having done some HE writing practice.
    Tests will most likely be Level 2 literacy & numeracy - about the equivalent of GCSE grade C standard. There's a variety of formats for assessments ranging from online tools to assess strengths and weakness, though multiple choice tests of skill through to simple paper based exams. At the move-on web site you can practice level 2 standard questions with answers in a multiple choice format.

http://move-on.org.uk/ilr_php/numeracy/welcome.php

http://move-on.org.uk/ilr_php/literacy/welcome.php

just create yourself an id - it's free

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.