Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Really nervous about going to a party? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A girl in my college class is having a house party on Friday and has invited the whole class alongside some foreign students who are visiting our college and some of her other friends. I'm really nervous about this because of several reasons.

I have horrible social anxiety and I feel so awkward in social situations. Every time I'm in a social situation (which is very rare tbh) I start to panic and get nervous hours before the event. I've been like this since I was about 14 (I'm almost 19) and it seems like nothing will stop it. I just feel weird around other people and I end up sitting by myself on the couch because I find it so hard to strike up a conversation, even if it's with someone I know.

A girl in the class who absolutely DESPISES me is going and I have a feeling it's gonna be really awkward when she realises I'm there. I used to hang around with her and some others in college until one day she went on a massive rage against me because I'm quiet and shy. My social anxiety means I struggle to even just start a conversation with someone. She said she finds quiet people rude and annoying and she just can't stand them because she's loud and talkative. I apologised to her for coming across that way and tried to explain how being around people and talking makes me nervous but she said there's no excuse for being so quiet and asked me why I bothered hanging out with them. Since then I've ditched that group (the rest of the group minus her and 1 other girl still talk to me) and I now hang around with another group in the class, who understand how nervous I can get and they're fine with it. She pretty much hates my guts. She unfriended and blocked me on Facebook, *****es about me in class and constantly throws daggers at me and gives me sly looks in class.

I'm a total wimp and when I'm confronted by someone, instead of standing my ground I tend to just burst into tears and run off! She seriously intimidates me and I have a horrible feeling it's gonna be awkward when she realises I'm there. I don't know if she'll just ignore me or if she'll start an argument with me or what, but I'm seriously just so nervous! I know I need to stand up for myself but I'm just so sensitive and emotional and it's the worst, combined with my social anxiety, it makes me a nervous wreck.
    I'm good friends with the other people in the class, so I'd have backup if anything happened but my mind is just racing with nervous thoughts and I'll be so nervous on Friday night.

Sorry this is so rambly and long but I'm really nervous!
    What can I do? :/

ReputationRep:
    Go to the party. Have fun. Ignore the girl who is clearly immature/attempting to look for drama.

ReputationRep:
    It's a party - not University Challenge. Just go and enjoy yourself... ignore any prats.

I do understand the social anxiety bit though, as I once had it myself, but the tendency to avoid people in general remains.. though it doesn't cause me much anxiety anymore. Best advice is to just throw yourself into it. If you don't like it, leave. At least you tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YikezItzAmy)
    A girl in my college class is having a house party on Friday and has invited the whole class alongside some foreign students who are visiting our college and some of her other friends. I'm really nervous about this because of several reasons.

I have horrible social anxiety and I feel so awkward in social situations. Every time I'm in a social situation (which is very rare tbh) I start to panic and get nervous hours before the event. I've been like this since I was about 14 (I'm almost 19) and it seems like nothing will stop it. I just feel weird around other people and I end up sitting by myself on the couch because I find it so hard to strike up a conversation, even if it's with someone I know.

A girl in the class who absolutely DESPISES me is going and I have a feeling it's gonna be really awkward when she realises I'm there. I used to hang around with her and some others in college until one day she went on a massive rage against me because I'm quiet and shy. My social anxiety means I struggle to even just start a conversation with someone. She said she finds quiet people rude and annoying and she just can't stand them because she's loud and talkative. I apologised to her for coming across that way and tried to explain how being around people and talking makes me nervous but she said there's no excuse for being so quiet and asked me why I bothered hanging out with them. Since then I've ditched that group (the rest of the group minus her and 1 other girl still talk to me) and I now hang around with another group in the class, who understand how nervous I can get and they're fine with it. She pretty much hates my guts. She unfriended and blocked me on Facebook, *****es about me in class and constantly throws daggers at me and gives me sly looks in class.

I'm a total wimp and when I'm confronted by someone, instead of standing my ground I tend to just burst into tears and run off! She seriously intimidates me and I have a horrible feeling it's gonna be awkward when she realises I'm there. I don't know if she'll just ignore me or if she'll start an argument with me or what, but I'm seriously just so nervous! I know I need to stand up for myself but I'm just so sensitive and emotional and it's the worst, combined with my social anxiety, it makes me a nervous wreck.
    I'm good friends with the other people in the class, so I'd have backup if anything happened but my mind is just racing with nervous thoughts and I'll be so nervous on Friday night.

Sorry this is so rambly and long but I'm really nervous!
    What can I do? :/
    You can't stay in a hole forever I used to be really shy around other people but then I stopped caring what other people thought of me and things became 5000 times easier and now I can talk to anyone (well unless I fancy them >.>) but you should put yourself in these awkward situations until you can adapt!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.