Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why has my weight loss slowed down? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So i've been exercising and eating healthily since new years in order to lose weight.
    I'm 5ft 6 and used to weigh 14st 3lbs, I now weigh 12st 4lbs.
    So i've lost nearly 2 stone in 2 and a half months which i'm over the moon about.

I was consistently losing around about 2lbs a week (apart from at the beginning when I lost a lot more due to water weight i'm guessing)

However, the past 3 weeks or so i've only been losing 1lb a week
    My diet/exercising haven't changed drastically (although I have increased the intensity of my workouts.)

I'm eating about 850-1050 calories a day. A typical day will be

Breakfast - slice of toast or banana
    Lunch - 2 slices wholemeal toast with baked beans/2 wholemeal rolls and a piece of fruit
    Snack - piece of fruit
    Dinner - Chicken fillet, potatoes, 3 portions of veg/ wholemeal pasta with veg/ fish and brown rice with veg

(twice a week i'll have a weight watchers ice cream at 80cals a pot)

exercise wise i'm going to the gym 4x a week. One session consists of:

between 45mins - 1 hour of cardio (treadmill, rower, cross trainer)
    resistance training - 4 x 15 reps on 4 different machines working legs, abs or arms etc.

i also walk 45mins 3 times a week.

Obviously being a student i do go out clubbing, but that's only once a week and i drink vodka with diet lemonade... a night of drinking is probably around 650 calories. however, i've been doing this since the beginning of my diet.

Where am I going wrong and why has my weight loss slowed down??
    Read online that sometimes you might not be eating enough to lose weight, could this be the case or am I okay?

ReputationRep:
    You said it yourself, your diet hasn't changed.
    Your body isn't stupid, your metabolism will eventually catch up with your new eating and exercising routine and learn how to live off that. This causes your fat loss to either stop or go very slowly. I recommend a seriously increasing your calories for the next week, taking in a lot more carbs and protein and this should "refeed" your body and set back your metabolism.

850-1050 cals a day since new years is ridiculous, you should be getting ATLEAST 1200 cals a day, this is an entirely different issue though and I won't get into it.

ReputationRep:
    You will also burn less calories because you weigh less.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!

Secondly, you need to mix it up a bit with your diet/exercise as your metabolism is getting used to your routine. This happened to my sister-in-law when she lost a lot of weight; she ate a lot of pizza and cake on night to get it moving again and it worked!

Have you thought about mixing up your intake? You should be eating a minimum of 1200 calories a day so one day you could have 1200, the next 1500, the next 1300 and so on. Maybe add some nuts to a snack or run a little further one day.

Remember that people usually under count calories than over count so are you counting your calories right on night out? When some products say 'Fat free' they add extra sugar which doesn't count as fat unless it isn't burnt off straight away.

Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Your body has become more efficient. Your body will be better at exercise that you have trained. And your body will use less energy as you weigh less.

Try a different exercise routine. Try more heavy lifting with less reps but more weight. And try more intense but shorter exercise rather than long drawn out cardio.

1 pound a week is still very solid though.

ReputationRep:
    Sign up to MyFitnessPal.com as this will help you to keep track of your diet and exercise.

You're not eating enough. 850 calories is nothing; most people need three times this, at least! MyFitnessPal will give you better numbers to aim for.

One pound a week at this stage is perfectly fine. If you Google "pound of fat" you will see just how much it actually is, and just how impressive it is that you've been able to lose that much every week. Weight loss isn't a race.

The slower you lose it, the more maintainable it will be afterwards- because there's no way you want to be eating 850 cals a day for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    850-1050 calories a day isn't enough. 1250 should be your minimum ideally at your height and weight. Your body has gotten used to your eating pattern and your metabolism has stabilised around it. You should zigzag your calories to confuse your metabolism.
    Like people have already mentioned, increase your intake over the next few days. Nothing too drastic, 1300, then 1200 , then 1500 and so on. Congtratulations on your weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks everyone, how long would you recommend i zig zag calories for?
    and then should i stick at around 1200?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to put you off something which is working but 1200 is really the minimum you ought to eat. Maybe it'd be a good idea to increase calories even slightly to see how your body responds. I started off eating 1400 calories on my diet. Recently I hit a plateau so I upped my calorie intake to 1500-1600 and started losing again.

I guess it is trial and error to see what works for you. I don't want to say something that works for me but isn't right for you.

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    The slower you lose it, the more maintainable it will be afterwards- because there's no way you want to be eating 850 cals a day for the rest of your life.
    Since you've lost the weight, how do you find maintaining it? I've not got to that point yet but is it a case of slowing up your calories until you stay the same weight?

Edit: Hope I'm not derailing the thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucia.)
    Since you've lost the weight, how do you find maintaining it? I've not got to that point yet but is it a case of slowing up your calories until you stay the same weight?

Edit: Hope I'm not derailing the thread!
    Surprisingly fine. I'm not counting calories anymore, and am just eating as and when I feel I need to. If I want certain types of food I'll eat them. I got on the scales the other day, after three months of maintaining (or I hoped I had, anyway) and was lighter than the weight I'd set as my ultimate goal! Only by a few ounces, but that means I've got the balance just right, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Where is this 1200 kcal number coming from? I've never come across it in my two and a half years at med school nor in any metabolism/biochemistry textbooks.

Source or can we all please stop pulling numbers out of our arses please. Don't even get me started on 'tricking' your 'adapted/clever' metabolism.

Your BMR has gone down because you've lost weight and require less kcals to maintain it. Your haven't adjusted your diet so it will slow and slow until you reach a weight your body maintains on that amount of kcals.

It will be hard for you to get the required micronutrients and essential micronutrients your body needs on so few kcals though. You're better off eating a bit more but counteracting it with exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Where is this 1200 kcal number coming from? I've never come across it in my two and a half years at med school nor in any metabolism/biochemistry textbooks.

Source or can we all please stop pulling numbers out of our arses please. Don't even get me started on 'tricking' your 'adapted/clever' metabolism.

Your BMR has gone down because you've lost weight and require less kcals to maintain it. Your haven't adjusted your diet so it will slow and slow until you reach a weight your body maintains on that amount of kcals.

It will be hard for you to get the required micronutrients and essential micronutrients your body needs on so few kcals though. You're better off eating a bit more but counteracting it with exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It seems to be the common number that is thrown round fitness/diet forums with regards to the minimum calories a woman should eat per day. Personally I don't agree with it unless said woman is almost completely sedentary, but that's another issue.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.