Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Notification of a General Election Watch

• Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Notification of General Election

It's that time again. Somehow, six months have managed to disappear and March 21 is now upon us. Therefore, I hereby officially declare that in less than an hour, at 00:00, this parliamentary term will expire and thus also declare the provisions for the General Election for the Seventeenth TSR Parliament officially underway.

The General Election will be held on the evening of March 28, 2013.
    The deadline for manifesto submissions will be Thursday 28th March 2013, at 19:00 GMT (7PM)

If you wish to stand, you will need to PM me your manifesto by the deadline. This gives you 7 days (almost 8) to get everything sorted.

Election Timetable
    The election timetable will be as follows:

(Day 0) Thursday 21st March, 00:00
    Election is called by The Speaker as parliament has expired. A wash up period of seven days remains in place but no new items will be submitted to The Speaker. The Speaker will inform parties to submit their manifestos.

(Day 3) Sunday 24th March, 00:00
    Items currently in discussion or cessation (as of Day 0) may no longer be sent to vote. I want the results of items to be clearly known a good few hours before the election, hence this cut-off is non-negotiable.

(Day 7) Thursday 28th March, 19:00
    All manifesto’s should have been received by the Speaker who shall admit them subject to them meeting the criteria to stand. Who formally declares the previous parliament dissolved and shall remove all MP's from the Division Lobby Forum.

(Day 7) Wednesday 28th March, evening
    The Speaker will post a thread containing ALL manifestos and a secret poll will be added which is open for 7 days with the option for “Spoilt Ballot”. The location of this poll depends on the result of A86.

(Day 14) Thursday 4th April, evening
    Results of the election are declared by The Speaker, who will then inform party leaders they have 7 days to form any coalitions.

(Day 21) Thursday 11th April, evening
    Details of formed coalitions are formally announced by the speaker who invites the leader of the largest coalition/party that fulfills article 6.1 to form a government and nominate a prime minister for appointment. The Speaker invites the leader of the largest party that does not take part in the government and that fulfills article 7.1 to form a shadow ministry.

(Day 21) Thursday 11th April, evening
    The Speaker formally declares parliament open and announces details of parliament's expiration date.

Manifesto Content
    Please make sure you familiarise yourselves with the rules surrounding manifestos. I've included them here for reference and they will be enforced. If you aren't sure whether something will be allowed, ask me first via PM. If you send something which has been disallowed then I will notify you as soon as I can.

4) Manifestos submitted must be less than 250 words and may not contain videos or audio clips unless created by a member of the party in question. The Speaker will cut the manifesto at the 250 word mark if they go over.
    i) all words typed or spoken within the manifesto will be counted (this excludes the 20 word tagline).
    ii) videos and audio clips will be removed before textual content is until the word limit is met.
    5) Manifestos can include up to 2 images.
    6) Manifestos are allowed a 20 word tagline.

Remember! The deadline for submitting your manifestos is Wednesday 28th March 2013 at 7PM!!! As the timetable states, the actual election thread will go up later that evening, I suspect that this will be between 19:30 and 22:00. It will either go in the Current Affairs subforum or in our very own MHoC subforum depending on the result of Amendment A86.

Wash-up
    As mentioned above, I will not be accepting new items from now on, but there will be a wash-up period. Items can still be sent to vote (with changes if appropriate) and, to reiterate, the deadline for doing this is Sunday 24th March at 00:00.

Parliament is formally dissolved at 19:00 on Wednesday 28th March 2013.

If you have any questions, feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM. Good luck to all parties and independents who choose to contest this election.

ReputationRep:
    If I was a really horrible person and actually an MP, I'd be vote of no confidencing you for not giving the government the full allotted time to call the election themselves. They may have wanted the lamest snap election in history.

Anyway let the games begin, finally.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    If I was a really horrible person and actually an MP, I'd be vote of no confidencing you for not giving the government the full allotted time to call the election themselves. They may have wanted the lamest snap election in history.

Anyway let the games begin, finally.
    I'd have quite enjoyed that . Sadly, it was not meant to be.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Let the games begin!

ReputationRep:
    ...And may the odds be ever in your favour.

Game time baby woooh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    ...And may the odds be ever in your favour.
    You beat me to it! :mad:

Good luck to all

ReputationRep:
    And so it begins....let the fun commence!

ReputationRep:
    Just realised we've hit easter half term, could boost the number of people voting and finding out about the house, maybe/hopefully lead to a resurgence of activity

ReputationRep:
    The game is afoot.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    The game is afoot.
    No it isn't. It looks more like a hand than a foot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    The game is afoot.
    Good luck, Liberal Democrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Good luck, Liberal Democrats.
    Who? Never heard of them.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    That sure is a mighty fine logo.

Jarred, those dates with the exception of Sunday 24th are Thursdays not Wednesdays

Woo oh yeah, election time *****, time to run for the lulz

ReputationRep:
    Oooh.. The Labour.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Jarred, those dates with the exception of Sunday 24th are Thursdays not Wednesdays
    Dammit
    Thanks for alerting me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Woo oh yeah, election time *****, time to run for the lulz
    Run as an Indie, you have a reputation to maintain.

ReputationRep:
    Let it begin!

(Original post by Moleman1996)
    Just realised we've hit easter half term, could boost the number of people voting and finding out about the house, maybe/hopefully lead to a resurgence of activity
    That's true, nicely pointed out

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.